U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 09:48 AM

11,040 posts, read 11,450,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollar psf View Post
You know all those pictures of shanty towns and tent cities in LA? That.
For people with initiative, it's not that bad. I imagine things have tightened up a bit, but during the recession lots of people lived in very nice homes for free. They sometimes went years without making a mortgage payment before being evicted. If they just picked a nice house in a nice neighborhood, moved in, cleaned up the yard and paid the utility bills, they could go for even more years rent free. A little panhandling and food stamps would let them live a very nice lifestyle, tax and rent free.

Marx was writing at a time before the development of the incredible wealth we enjoy. It's not hard to get by on the streets if you hustle and have a good scam. It's unlikely someone will end up in jail, because it costs society much more to incarcerate than to let them get away with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 10:22 AM

736 posts, read 172,216 times
I remember when the entire capitalist society collapsed in the 1790s after they invented all those textile-weaving machines putting everyone out of work. Those Luddites were the only ones clever enough to see the apocalypse.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:33 AM

17,205 posts, read 14,805,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
If you have not figured it out, now is better than never. Low skilled jobs have been vanishing. The declines have been especially rapid in agriculture, ranching, manufacturing and retailing. There is an excess of people without college or any important skills, training or experience. Higher skilled jobs are in demand and for a great many occupations predicted manpower needs will greatly out pace people who have the necessary skills. Get and education or get skills that are in demand!!! You don't have to work in one of the STEM fields. There are lots and lots of opportunities now and projected for the future.
It is denial thinking to believe only low skilled jobs are going to be affected as technology becomes more advanced.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernard.../#3b455b387426

https://www.military.com/veteran-job...echnology.html

https://www.fastcompany.com/3067279/...aced-by-robots

Even jobs like radiologists, paralegals and investment analysts are on the list.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:38 AM

1,694 posts, read 1,071,855 times
When humans have everything provided for them and no longer have wants and needs that cannot be provided, there will no longer be a need to “work” or for money. Then we can finally focus on enlightenment. Think Star Trek.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:43 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,561 posts, read 623,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
https://qz.com/1269525/capitalism-is...arx-predicted/

So when this comes true in a 100 percent factory driven by robots, what going to happen to the people who need to work? ( not everybody cut out to work in the tech industry) Business need people not machines?
What will happen? People will be ****ed!

It would be nice if communism worked with humans, then we could stop worrying. But communism only works with bees or ants. Humans are too corrupt, egotistical and greedy for it to work.

I suspect things will just keep decomposing more and more as time goes by. And if the dems get their wish they will be able to take down the borders and keep flooding the country with new immigrants that take the place of the worker bees that can't make it any longer and die on the street.

Mods don't ban me again...this is my photo!

You will hear talk of a guaranteed basic income. But it can't work out. Just a non-livable pittance to everyone will take 75% of the budget.

There is never a guarantee that a species or country can go on forever. Just as forest fires clean the land, so do die offs clean a species that is in excess. I got no answers. Time will tell OP.

Last edited by slackercruster; 05-08-2018 at 10:51 AM..

Old 05-08-2018, 10:53 AM

17,205 posts, read 14,805,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
When humans have everything provided for them and no longer have wants and needs that cannot be provided, there will no longer be a need to “work” or for money. Then we can finally focus on enlightenment. Think Star Trek.
I feel like we won't be useful to the rich people anymore and we'll just be thrown on the trash heap! I was thinking about this while watching WestWorld Sunday night. Once they have robots like that, we're just going to be wasted space, I fear. I highly doubt the super rich are going to support us in the slightest.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:02 PM

5,600 posts, read 4,204,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It is denial thinking to believe only low skilled jobs are going to be affected as technology becomes more advanced.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernard.../#3b455b387426

https://www.military.com/veteran-job...echnology.html

https://www.fastcompany.com/3067279/...aced-by-robots

Even jobs like radiologists, paralegals and investment analysts are on the list.
There is no doubt about it. Many highly skilled jobs will become obsolete. There is another even bigger issue. Most job requirements will change very substantially requiring workers to maintain continuing education and to learn new skills. This is well known even for areas with very high demand. Engineers need to keep up. That often means going back to school to take courses. At the very minimum it means some formal continuing education. Engineers who do not keep up find themselves replaced by younger more up to date workers. It is easy to blame age discrimination, but often the issue is just knowledge.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollar psf View Post
Well below average? How many people with an IQ below 75 do you actually know? There is no way someone with a sub 75 IQ is doing much beyond bagging groceries. You can't learn how to do differential equations or statistical analysis no matter how hard you try if you have much below a 100 IQ (and that's being generous). I'm sorry but it just isn't going to happen.
You just seem to want to argue. Receiving help is really important for someone with a very low IQ. Often there is an organic problem that is not going away, but there are techniques that can help to compensate for the deficiency. I personally only know two people at that level or probably even well below. One has a genetic disease and can barely speak. The second was dropped on his head at a baby and suffered serious brain injury.

None of this changes the proven fact that the vast majority of people can substantially increase their IQ. Nor does it change the fact that IQ is typically only a small factor in success.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I feel like we won't be useful to the rich people anymore and we'll just be thrown on the trash heap! I was thinking about this while watching WestWorld Sunday night. Once they have robots like that, we're just going to be wasted space, I fear. I highly doubt the super rich are going to support us in the slightest.

So you are worried that you will not have skills needed for a good job in the future. Well you vented and you found rich and super rich people to blame. Now what are YOU going to do?

Old 05-08-2018, 03:22 PM

2,280 posts, read 1,033,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Prosperous: "successful in material terms; flourishing financially". That sure sounds like it has to do with money. Perhaps you meant to say something else.
she means that most of the "material" terms is crap that we really don't need. Housing of course is the big social divide. with housing eating up bigger and bigger percentages of our income.

but in this country we do have a "race" for more and more consumption. a large part of our economy is based on consumerism.

Once you get off that wheel, your definition of prosperous changes.

my wake up call was when my husband, little brother and best friend all died before they hit 52. So now I'm retiring early. Nope I will not have LTC insurance, no I will not have 2 million dollars in the bank. what I have at the end of 2019 is what I will die with lol but I will be blissfully retired.

someone else is welcome to my job, although I did get my degree in the stem field. long long long ago.

now I do agree that we are going to have issues because everyone cannot be a mensa candidate and in this country we don't give a crap about the kid who is a talented artist, writer. we complain about the poor state of education but pay our teachers crap.

How many people here (and I could name two posters) continually deride young adults who don't major in a stem or business field. the first comment when some one expresses how tough it is to get a job is, "well why did you waste your money on XYZ major".

so we're screwed, everyone can't be an engineer and automation is taking over every thing else what's the solution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics