U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 04:15 PM

12,405 posts, read 9,195,957 times

Advertisements

They can't find the right person because they demand 5 years of experience in the same sub-sub-sub-subfield with exactly the same version of the same software. Hmmmmmmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 02:26 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,026,502 times
I despise companies that post fake openings and requirements. Makes me wonder what their real issues are.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:30 PM

4,706 posts, read 2,251,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
And what is the source of your 4.5%?
Caldwell has stated USA has been experiencing hyperinflation.

He's one of those folks who believes his personal anecdotal experiences and intuition trumps the work of statisticians because there is some massive collusion that spans multiple administrations and disparate government agencies to manipulate the numbers and screw people out of their deserved social security raises.

Take with grain of salt the size of a Plymouth Minivan.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:45 PM

3,731 posts, read 7,206,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I wonder how many of those jobs are real and how many are for show.... "hey we have x opening and can't fill them" but in reality "we have no intention of filling them"
A small company I know posted a fake job opening to show the government that they tried but couldn't find workers -- so that they could hire a foreign worker. Well, the job was real. They just didn't hire anybody. I wonder if a lot of companies are using the same strategy.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:55 PM

2,621 posts, read 2,023,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
A small company I know posted a fake job opening to show the government that they tried but couldn't find workers -- so that they could hire a foreign worker. Well, the job was real. They just didn't hire anybody. I wonder if a lot of companies are using the same strategy.
They even have lawyers that put on seminars to teach companies how to do it.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
They even have lawyers that put on seminars to teach companies how to do it.
Tax credits and h1b1 thanks to their support.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:40 AM

4,384 posts, read 2,919,874 times
The issue isn't so much that jobs aren't available. Feasibly the jobs could be available, it's just that your current workforce has shown that they don't want them to be available. Job openings have the potential to stunt the ability of advancement. So you end up in a position where the team members of that particular department make "less" money with a new hire. You have your current workforce working harder, because that's the only way we can get ahead in wages if we're not fortunate enough to job hop every 24-36 months. Not everyone has the ability, or the desire, to change careers or relocate that often.

Also, companies are showing record profits with their current workforce. Why hire new employees when your current workforce has shown that not only are we efficient, our workforce is most likely happy with their wages, and profits are showing up in their profit sharing and/or the bonuses are making up for the added work. I'm currently working harder now than I was 5 years ago; however, my pay has increased approximately 40% during that same period. I've stayed well ahead of inflation, but this would have not likely happened if we would have hired another person. That's a reality that all of us middle class workers are dealing with. It's either work harder to make the money we feel we deserve, or work less and make substantially less money.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:39 PM

2,621 posts, read 2,023,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
The issue isn't so much that jobs aren't available. Feasibly the jobs could be available, it's just that your current workforce has shown that they don't want them to be available. Job openings have the potential to stunt the ability of advancement. So you end up in a position where the team members of that particular department make "less" money with a new hire. You have your current workforce working harder, because that's the only way we can get ahead in wages if we're not fortunate enough to job hop every 24-36 months. Not everyone has the ability, or the desire, to change careers or relocate that often.

Also, companies are showing record profits with their current workforce. Why hire new employees when your current workforce has shown that not only are we efficient, our workforce is most likely happy with their wages, and profits are showing up in their profit sharing and/or the bonuses are making up for the added work. I'm currently working harder now than I was 5 years ago; however, my pay has increased approximately 40% during that same period. I've stayed well ahead of inflation, but this would have not likely happened if we would have hired another person. That's a reality that all of us middle class workers are dealing with. It's either work harder to make the money we feel we deserve, or work less and make substantially less money.
I have zero issue with that as long as the employers are honest about it, but this is not what the employers are saying.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:34 PM

4,384 posts, read 2,919,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
I have zero issue with that as long as the employers are honest about it, but this is not what the employers are saying.

They aren't always going to admit what they're doing. Sometimes they post a job just to feel out the applicants, even though they aren't looking to fulfill the position at that time. It never hurts to know who your captive audience is.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post

Were i use to work did exactly what your saying. But they did it just to see what the market rate is for the same job were doing now. If people were asking 50k, and they are paying us 40k, then they will assume they are get a good deal or be nice and bump us to that rate to keep us from leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or