Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 06:07 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

For all those moaning about low minimum wage jobs or whatever, this is how you do roll:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1I91YV

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/job-ope...ekers-dwindle/

If feel you can do better elsewhere.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 04:12 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,913,234 times
If they are giving raises at work, or any other benefits and cause inflation.. then expect the COL to be on the rise.. and that is the most dumb thing to do at this point. ( raise col)

But not sure were they are getting their source from, as we have tons of job openings posted, just "beggars cant be choosy" and they are. We have a opening were i am that been posted for over 2 years and they "cant find the right person".

Old 05-09-2018, 06:21 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
If they are giving raises at work, or any other benefits and cause inflation.. then expect the COL to be on the rise.. and that is the most dumb thing to do at this point. ( raise col)

But not sure were they are getting their source from, as we have tons of job openings posted, just "beggars cant be choosy" and they are. We have a opening were i am that been posted for over 2 years and they "cant find the right person".
If they can't find the right person in two years, they don't really want to hire.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
If they can't find the right person in two years, they don't really want to hire.
exactly what i said, and HR manager whom sits with us during breaks ( nosey little thing), keeps putting up the job opening about it on our internal job board and Monster boards. We keep taking it down after a few weeks as everybody in our dept has applied for it that wanted it and got pass up on. So why have it up when we all been through the ringer on trying to get the job.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:00 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
This week alone I was contacted atleast 4-5 times for different job opportunities, a big jump from last month. A few months back I had gone to a few interviews but no offers, I think there are lots of crap jobs out there. These companies want to hire but the requirements are really skyhigh for what they're looking for and the salaries aren't enough to compensate.

That's the problem today, too many jobs with high requirements and not enough compensation.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:22 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post

Too late. Inflation is already running 4.5%. If you aren't getting regular raises, you are taking a pay cut.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:32 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Too late. Inflation is already running 4.5%. If you aren't getting regular raises, you are taking a pay cut.
And what is the source of your 4.5%?

Old 05-10-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
This week alone I was contacted atleast 4-5 times for different job opportunities, a big jump from last month. A few months back I had gone to a few interviews but no offers, I think there are lots of crap jobs out there. These companies want to hire but the requirements are really skyhigh for what they're looking for and the salaries aren't enough to compensate.

That's the problem today, too many jobs with high requirements and not enough compensation.
Yep, that i can contest.. Had one offer me 2 dollars less a hour but will get it back after a year.. Only a fool would have said yes to that. Rest were just too cheap and some wanted a cert that only a person with a PHD in computer science to get. Even then the pay was a insult.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:57 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
I wonder how many of those jobs are real and how many are for show.... "hey we have x opening and can't fill them" but in reality "we have no intention of filling them"

Old 05-11-2018, 10:33 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
There's nothing wrong with a little wage inflation... it helps keep asset prices more affordable for the bottom 99% and helps make the value of debt worth less. Under this low inflation environment we've had mostly asset inflation driven by the top 1% and foreign investors .. the average working class person can't really afford a house in many major cities like Denver anymore.. I mean with 2 incomes and overtime maybe you can make it work but it's not very cost effective. We could actually use a high inflation environment because we're quickly amassing globally levels of government and private debt that are reaching rather high levels... sure credit ratings are a lot better than they were in 2007 however those credit ratings are based on companies being able to maintain cash flow... recessions take away cash flow. Stock market is largely being driven by debt fueled stock buybacks, among other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics