U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 03:25 PM

10,282 posts, read 6,543,239 times

Advertisements

I have debt collectors calling me but it's for a dirtbag lady named Lanshonda who had my phone number before me almost 3 years ago. I ask what company they are calling from and they refuse to give it or mumble it. Most legit ones you can call and ask to be removed when you tell them it's the wrong number, but half the time they just put you on more call lists. The fun part was when I was sent a group text about a family reunion and I told them that they are trying to contact a freeloader who doesn't pay her bills who has collection agencies calling her. Also I was getting text from this ladies home alarm company and from her kids school. She never bothered to change her number anywhere. Even an old boyfriend of hers called me and I told him this is not her number and he accused me of lying and that I was dating her.

If you do get legit calls about a debt that is shady you can send cease and desist letters and they can contact you one last time to let you know what there next move is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
(including one [unprintable] in Florida who has the same first, middle initial, last name, and date of birth...who was responsible for my driver's license being suspended three times over a fifteen year period...what a horror show getting *that* straightened out).
That really sucks, if that were me I would get a legal middle name change or something. One time I did have my drivers license suspended by mistake. I can't remember how I found out about it, it must have been on a renewal because I was never notified when it happened. The person had the same last name, first 2 letters of the first name were the same and a birthday a few days from mine, I don't even remember if it was the same year of birth, but I'm a Jr and they weren't. Some jerk at the DMV must have had to apply it to an account and picked me. It wasn't that hard to fix but it's scary that you are driving on a suspended license without knowing it.

Recently I checked public records and there are several people with my same name that own property in my county, some with middle names I have none, but i'm the only Jr.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:17 PM

5,072 posts, read 3,346,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
haha, txdot try to pull that stunt with the tolls. Said ill pay the toll fee but rest you can stick it. Lady said ok, next month got another bill with interested added again, so repeat phone call.. did this for about 6 months, 40$ toll bill went to 2k.. and a legal letter. I paid the 40, but they wanted interest payments too.. Nope not going to happen.. every now and then i get a new bill with another 10% interest added to a bill thats been paid. See how far i can get it up till they stop.
I tried that in Maine and they just went straight to suspending my license over $0.50.

Last edited by toosie; 05-27-2018 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: See how it still works without profanity

Old 05-29-2018, 03:23 PM

1,032 posts, read 295,961 times
If these guys ding your credit, file a lawsuit against them. If the judgment is good for 20 years, they better get cracking on filing any actions in your state. Once the 20 years are up, they're SOL, and any attempt to collect via the courts, you can countersue with a Fair Credit Act action.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:59 AM

6,385 posts, read 1,545,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
This part is correct. There are some disreputable 'collection agencies' who purchase packages of names of people who [allegedly] owed some amount of money to some company many years in the past, they pay pennies on the dollar for these alleged debts, which in most cases have been 'charged off' and are basically uncollectable...unless you 'reactivate' it by agreeing that you owe the money (whether you really do, or not).

No. Offer nothing. Admit nothing. Agree to nothing.

The scam is that they cannot collect anything unless the person agrees that they owe money, or offers to make some payment toward the [alleged] 'debt' (an offer to pay carries an implicit agreement that you owe the money). Such an agreement or offer to pay reactivates collectability and resets the clock to zero, even if statutes of limitations had already expired.

Last year I had one of these [unprintable] 'agencies' hounding me with phone calls on a daily basis- always recorded messages left on my answering machine. Such messages often included dire warnings of a 'judgement' entered against me, or 'legal actions filed', etc., etc.. I knew I didn't owe any money to anyone, many people have my first and last name (including one [unprintable] in Florida who has the same first, middle initial, last name, and date of birth...who was responsible for my driver's license being suspended three times over a fifteen year period...what a horror show getting *that* straightened out). Several times I attempted to call back the number left, just because I wanted to screw with them, but I always ended up getting disconnected or stuck on 'hold' for longer than was amusing.

Eventually, I answered a call (because I happened to be home at the time, I don't have 'caller ID', and I always answer the phone when I'm there)) and, to my surprise, there was actually a live person on the other end. The individual claimed to be calling 'on behalf of' [some lawyer whose name I don't remember]- of course, this was an attempt to 'intimidate' me, as many people get concerned if some attorney wants to talk to them for some unknown reason...but that doesn't scare me because I have dealt with plenty of lawyers for various reasons, and have faced off against some in court. The [unprintable] asked me if I had received the 'urgent legal notice' which [he claimed] had been sent to me some days earlier, I said "I don't know anything about that."

I had, in fact, received no such notice. Next, he informed me that the matter was concerning a debt owed to [some bank with which I have never done any sort of business] and my response was the same- "I don't know anything about that", followed by a firm "Good-bye."

Like magic, the harassing phone messages finally stopped...actually, I didn't really find them to be all that harassing, amusing really, it had become routine to walk in the door when I got home and see the blinking light on the phone telling me there was a message...which I promptly deleted after hearing the first few words. There were some days when I was actually disappointed because (for whatever reason) no message had been left.

Anyway, do not admit or agree to anything, tell them to send you a notice with the details in writing and to stop calling. In most cases of these uncollectable/invalid/wrong claims, everything ends there, because they know that you aren't going to be fooled into falling for their scam.

Unfortunately, it is probably too late for the OP (if this story is even real) because it sounds as though he/she has made some sort of spoken (and recorded) affirmation of owing money and the clock has now been re-set, allowing for further action against him.
I went thru something similar not long ago, some of these collection agencies have up'd their game, instead of some out of state or 800 number showing up on the caller ID, they can somehow make their call show up as coming from a local number (area code and prefix), so the debtor is more likely to answer the calls.

I do know ANY type of contact, even answering the call and saying hello is enough to set the clock back to zero on the statue of limitations related to debt. Its always best to NEVER EVER answer a call from a number you do not recognize, even if its a local prefix and area code, if its important, they will leave a message.

Im surprised collection agencies havent started using FB, social media, texting, twitter, etc and find other sneaky ways to get debtors to acknowledge them!

Old 06-03-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

I do know ANY type of contact, even answering the call and saying hello is enough to set the clock back to zero on the statue of limitations related to debt.!
I highly doubt that. Say they are trying to contact you and they call your previous cell phone number and someone new answers and hangs up. That's not enough to reset the clock legally. You have to admit to the debt. Plus the person could answer, as I have and told the company they have the wrong number. I've done that many times because if not they just never stop calling the lady who owes the money before me. It's better for me to ask where they are calling from and tell them to stop calling.

Every so often the debt must get sold off or they keep trying again regardless of what you told them. These are boiler rooms often and many don't care if they violate the law, they know how hard it is for you to sue them to recover money from them harassing you especially if you don't even owe the money. But yes they do clone a fake number from the same area code and exchange that your number is in. I moved away from the area and kept my old area code so I always look at that first when someone calls. Surprisingly you can call the number back sometimes if it's a legit company and tell them to take you off the call list that they are reaching the wrong number. I think even if you are the right person you can deny owing the money and tell them not to call.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:22 PM

6,385 posts, read 1,545,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I highly doubt that. Say they are trying to contact you and they call your previous cell phone number and someone new answers and hangs up. That's not enough to reset the clock legally. You have to admit to the debt. Plus the person could answer, as I have and told the company they have the wrong number. I've done that many times because if not they just never stop calling the lady who owes the money before me. It's better for me to ask where they are calling from and tell them to stop calling.

Every so often the debt must get sold off or they keep trying again regardless of what you told them. These are boiler rooms often and many don't care if they violate the law, they know how hard it is for you to sue them to recover money from them harassing you especially if you don't even owe the money. But yes they do clone a fake number from the same area code and exchange that your number is in. I moved away from the area and kept my old area code so I always look at that first when someone calls. Surprisingly you can call the number back sometimes if it's a legit company and tell them to take you off the call list that they are reaching the wrong number. I think even if you are the right person you can deny owing the money and tell them not to call.
In the state of KY, the statue of limitations on debt is 7 or 14 years, 7 years is for unsecured debt and 14 years for secured or debt with liens involved.

My ex wife went thru a nightmare with a truck she had bought and financed, after making 3 payments, the finance company in CA would not accept her payment, told her they did not own this loan, and knew nothing about her, or this truck she financed, it was really a strange situation. We both called numerous times trying to straighten this out, but eventually they stopped taking our calls, even stranger, this finance company was listed as the lien holder at the courthouse, they insisted this was wrong though. ..eventually the courthouse released the lien, even though it had not been paid! Never once did she or I receive any collection calls on this truck, I think some loans fall thru the cracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or