U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2018, 11:34 AM

321 posts, read 201,412 times

Advertisements

It's time for the rich of this country to pay. How is this fair. 1% of the population controls over 80% of the wealth. Just like the European aristocracy. I'm for rebellion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 12:29 PM
Status: "I can retire today...but I love my job so...." (set 23 days ago)

551 posts, read 196,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
It's time for the rich of this country to pay. How is this fair. 1% of the population controls over 80% of the wealth. Just like the European aristocracy. I'm for rebellion.
And replace the system with what? What's the next step for Krug the King?

Old 08-21-2018, 12:45 PM

2,443 posts, read 629,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Probably some form of whatever Antifascists think would make sense. If there is such a thing.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Probably some form of whatever Antifascists think would make sense. If there is such a thing.
I've been somewhat successful but occasionally, when I think about what I could have done differently and reasons why I don't make (even) more, I need only look in the mirror. I own my decisions and often, it was one based on risk/reward not, "damn rich guy - keeping me down by not paying his fair share."

Old 08-21-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I've been somewhat successful but occasionally, when I think about what I could have done differently and reasons why I don't make (even) more, I need only look in the mirror. I own my decisions and often, it was one based on risk/reward not, "damn rich guy - keeping me down by not paying his fair share."
Well I won't sit here and say there isn't something to the middle-class being wiped out in America (and the West, in general), but it's more sophisticated than I could get into here, and it's a global phenomena.

I do get sick when I see some chick get on a city bus with half a dozen kids, and my sister and her husband can't even afford to have more than two kids (even though they are both college educated and make decent money, I suspect). Day care prices, for example, are punitive in the most sickening ways.

The Elites (both "right" and "left") are in it together - their love of open borders and poisoning America with tens of millions of indigent third-worlders, but I simply don't align with Antifa...at all. I will never align myself with communists...ever.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:21 PM

8,504 posts, read 2,387,119 times
Many (maybe most) wealthy people are happy to pay taxes. But the news only shows us the Manaforts, Trumps, Romneys and the like......the bottom of the barrel. And, unfortunately, those are the folks making the tax (or lack of) decisions these days.

I've been very fortunate and paid lots of taxes over the years. However, I just checked and it turns out I will have to pay very little now...even if I have good income. This is, of course, wrong in an era where that money is being given to me out of debt and deficit.

But, hey, who am I to argue with the will of the American people who cheer tax cuts out of debt and deficit? I'd rather pay more and have a balanced budget, universal health care, etc.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:32 PM

4,008 posts, read 1,468,650 times
Quote:
With anything that is not a vacuum cleaner sucking all the wealth from the bottom to the top.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Well I won't sit here and say there isn't something to the middle-class being wiped out in America (and the West, in general), but it's more sophisticated than I could get into here, and it's a global phenomena.

I do get sick when I see some chick get on a city bus with half a dozen kids, and my sister and her husband can't even afford to have more than two kids (even though they are both college educated and make decent money, I suspect). Day care prices, for example, are punitive in the most sickening ways.

The Elites (both "right" and "left") are in it together - their love of open borders and poisoning America with tens of millions of indigent third-worlders, but I simply don't align with Antifa...at all. I will never align myself with communists...ever.
I'm on your side for the most part! I can't solve all the problems in the US but I could have taken concrete steps to improve my lot in life if necessary.

My wife could barely speak English when she arrived in the US in 2002. Her first job was at a non-profit and she essentially started her career from scratch.

Now she's a credit analyst with a great bank and makes almost 4x her original salary. Why? For at least 12 years, she never stopped trying to improve herself by taking class-after-class until she had earned a masters. You name a group and she joined it to... improve herself.

How many 'mercians increased their salary by improving themselves over the same period by that amount?

During that same period, I was pretty damn lazy...found my niche, exploited it for all it's worth and am winding my career down towards retirement. In some way, I got lucky but if I wanted more, I could have made it - it would have involved changes I didn't want to make. That's on me. Not some 1% sob.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Many (maybe most) wealthy people are happy to pay taxes. But the news only shows us the Manaforts, Trumps, Romneys and the like......the bottom of the barrel. And, unfortunately, those are the folks making the tax (or lack of) decisions these days.

I've been very fortunate and paid lots of taxes over the years. However, I just checked and it turns out I will have to pay very little now...even if I have good income. This is, of course, wrong in an era where that money is being given to me out of debt and deficit.

But, hey, who am I to argue with the will of the American people who cheer tax cuts out of debt and deficit? I'd rather pay more and have a balanced budget, universal health care, etc.
I hear you!

How much of an impact would it be if you taxed the "rich" at 50%? 75%? Or took everything they earned?

Do you know why robbers rob banks? 'cause that's where the money is.

The same goes true for the middle class. According to one source, the percentage of middle class households in the US is about 53%. The number in upper class ($150,000 +) is under 14%. You can take every dime they make and it won't make a dent.

I'd be thrilled if we could cut government spending and then address other needs but I don't see any politician doing that anytime soon.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Well, people like you (not saying you, specifically) are the same people that have championed tens of millions of indigent people flooding into the country to clean your toilets and cut your grass and so and so forth.

And it's really not a right-left issue. ALL politicians at the top have had a hatred and hostility toward middle-America going back to when they slit all our throats with their lies and passage of the 1965 Immigration And Nationalization Act.

Mostly, though, ALL politicians at the federal level are globalists/communists who basically all have the same end goal: destroy the middle class in America.

This isn't conspiracy, either. Read up on it. It is all there in black and white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or