U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 10:12 AM

8,332 posts, read 3,515,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Who cares? Why is this even important? It's the global elites who want everything digital. It's primarily for their benefit, so they can track and monitor our every move. I'm sure that explains why China is so into digital payments.
I benefit from the convenience using digital money every day. I rarely use currency, and might have the same $20 bill in my pocket for a year or so. I don't care about being tracked.

Do the global elites get tracked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 06:42 PM

24,855 posts, read 27,008,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I benefit from the convenience using digital money every day. I rarely use currency, and might have the same $20 bill in my pocket for a year or so. I don't care about being tracked.

Do the global elites get tracked?
Convenience, convenience, convenience. Convenience is going to be our downfall. Any benefits we receive are just crumbs to get us to go along with their system. Of course, the elites don't get tracked--at least not in any significant way. They track us. That's how it works.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:14 PM

8,332 posts, read 3,515,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Convenience, convenience, convenience. Convenience is going to be our downfall. Any benefits we receive are just crumbs to get us to go along with their system. Of course, the elites don't get tracked--at least not in any significant way. They track us. That's how it works.
I've done well with 'crumbs'. I see no need to change. Maybe my crumbs are just bigger than yours, or just more filling.

Hoonose?

Old 11-19-2018, 03:15 AM

360 posts, read 124,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not in Kansas any more View Post
I was in Europe recently and many locals were using tap and go cards or ipay. It seemed like a very good and fast payment system. I suspect that it will not be taken up as much in the US because of the tipping system which slows everything down. Yes, the some places have an additional tipping screen but it is still much slower than what I saw in Europe.
Tap and Go is very widely used here in Australia and is fantastically convenient. Perhaps too much so. It makes it so easy to spend. I think there is less tipping with it though, especially as tipping is quite optional here.

Almost everyone has a bank account as it is required to receive any government payments such as Medicare refunds. Medicare used to pay out cash but that got phased out a few years ago.

I still have a cheque book for an occasional payment but this last one has lasted me for four years.

Still, it is not really important. If the US system is working, let it work.

Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM

377 posts, read 135,582 times
You have privacy issues. That is why.

1. Patriot act

Also

The USA gives you choice and some people practice religions where you are unable to touch anything electronic ( even a blasted toilet ) during specific times of the day.

Aniliate the patriot act and boom. Millions of people will start using electronic payment method. Again choice. You can't just force people into something.

Also food industries. Food industries have rights like not taking credit cards because it charges against the bill. Which robs those industries.

Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM

3,433 posts, read 1,170,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I've done well with 'crumbs'. I see no need to change. Maybe my crumbs are just bigger than yours, or just more filling.
Must be some tasty pottage.

Old Yesterday, 11:25 PM

4,921 posts, read 2,343,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
Aniliate the patriot act and boom. Millions of people will start using electronic payment method
I suspect (but can't prove) that you are greatly overestimating how many people choose their payment methods based on the existence of the Patriot Act. Easier/cheaper are great motivators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or