U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 05:31 PM

7,058 posts, read 8,215,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It's kind of funny to think that on the contrary, most developed countries are bending over backwards, offering incentives to people to have kids.

So your suggestion is that people who have kids, and all the associated expenses, will no longer get a tax break. People who don't have them, and so by the nature of things have fewer expenses to begin with, will get a tax break and have even more disposable income. I don't see that going over very well.
Of course it won't go over well. Our society revolves around children. Not to mention it would be political suicide for a candidate. One of the things both parties like to hide behind is children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 09:28 PM

33,046 posts, read 20,740,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Birth rates in 1st world developed countries are always low. Having a kid is not an economic asset like it is in a developing country.

Question for parents in developing countries:

How you gonna pay for that?

Old 06-27-2018, 07:23 AM

7,058 posts, read 8,215,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Question for parents in developing countries:

How you gonna pay for that?
People in developed countries don't think of at. Look at how many people have no money but keep reproducing.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:25 AM

4,354 posts, read 5,282,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Everyone who is within a few years of receiving social security should be interested in the challenges facing young adults and young families. This is the group that will pay taxes to see that we receive benefits. I think we need to take their problems much more seriously than we do. I'd like to see what we could do to make their lives more tolerable. We are creating a country in which the message many young people are getting is that we "don't need them". Its wrong both on moral and practical grounds.
What are you talking about?! How is it "morally" wrong not to have kids?! I think it's morally wrong TO have kids, in a planet that is massively overpopulated. Not to mention it's just a giant burden with no real list of "pros." Every argument about what's so great about kids is a lot like arguing religion with people -- based purely on emotion or faith and not at all on facts. Whatever "facts" they think they offer aren't facts at all and are actually laughably wrong.

There's a reason why about 50% of all kids are accidents, because it's pretty difficult to imagine it being a great decision to give up your day to day freedom for a lifetime of responsibility and nonsense. Gee, enjoy hanging out with friends playing video games, going hiking, seeing a movie, or take little Timmy to soccer practice early in the morning, help him with his homework, change baby Amy's diaper, and spend my free money on piano lessons / private schools / kids clothing / whatever? I mean, it's a tough call, boy, but I'm gonna have to go with enjoying life over hating it. It's definitely close, sorta like choosing a delicious steak over dumpster diving, but in the end the steak wins out.

There's no way any amount of government assistance to "make" people have kids is going to make it any less of a horrible deal for many people. The smarter the person, the less desire they have to pop out a bunch of kids according to the research, and really is that any surprise? It's baffling why anyone would even ask, "Why don't you want kids?" Why DO you?! For those 1% of the times the kid does something cute, in between the 99% of the time it's a complete nightmare dealing with being responsible for someone else entirely? I mean it's challenging enough to succeed in a tough career, to have time for health and fitness, to have quality time with your significant other, and to travel and enjoy your hobbies. There already isn't time for every single one of those things, you already have to make sacrifices, but add a kid into that and your whole life is consumed by something a naked mole rat can do -- reproduce. Not a life of excitement.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:08 AM

7,154 posts, read 5,958,670 times
Before I even clicked the link I was saying to myself that I bet this is one of them articles poo pooing about how we don't have 6-12 months of paid maternity leave. No, I don't think employers should have to pay for people to pump out kids. Single people get tired of all the freebees people with kids get already as it is.

Also people who treat having kids as if it's some sort of holy activity or something special... all animal species including us have been doing it for millions of years now... I realize the emotions biologically programmed into you make you protective of your children just like many animal species, but still....

It only seems like fathers like to cut out because so many women mess around when they are young and would rather have sex with the exciting men and try to change them into stable men versus just picking a stable man in the first place. Most people know what they are getting into when they have sex with questionable characters they just don't want to take the blame for their dating choices. It's not really anyone's fault though because we act more off our biological drives than our logical thinking mind, most of the time. This includes men.

Last edited by stockwiz; 06-30-2018 at 08:18 AM..

Old 06-30-2018, 08:36 AM

680 posts, read 277,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
What are you talking about?! How is it "morally" wrong not to have kids?! I think it's morally wrong TO have kids, in a planet that is massively overpopulated. Not to mention it's just a giant burden with no real list of "pros." Every argument about what's so great about kids is a lot like arguing religion with people -- based purely on emotion or faith and not at all on facts. Whatever "facts" they think they offer aren't facts at all and are actually laughably wrong.

There's a reason why about 50% of all kids are accidents, because it's pretty difficult to imagine it being a great decision to give up your day to day freedom for a lifetime of responsibility and nonsense. Gee, enjoy hanging out with friends playing video games, going hiking, seeing a movie, or take little Timmy to soccer practice early in the morning, help him with his homework, change baby Amy's diaper, and spend my free money on piano lessons / private schools / kids clothing / whatever? I mean, it's a tough call, boy, but I'm gonna have to go with enjoying life over hating it. It's definitely close, sorta like choosing a delicious steak over dumpster diving, but in the end the steak wins out.

There's no way any amount of government assistance to "make" people have kids is going to make it any less of a horrible deal for many people. The smarter the person, the less desire they have to pop out a bunch of kids according to the research, and really is that any surprise? It's baffling why anyone would even ask, "Why don't you want kids?" Why DO you?! For those 1% of the times the kid does something cute, in between the 99% of the time it's a complete nightmare dealing with being responsible for someone else entirely? I mean it's challenging enough to succeed in a tough career, to have time for health and fitness, to have quality time with your significant other, and to travel and enjoy your hobbies. There already isn't time for every single one of those things, you already have to make sacrifices, but add a kid into that and your whole life is consumed by something a naked mole rat can do -- reproduce. Not a life of excitement.
I completely disagreed about you with the whole car issue on a different forum, but agree 1,000 % on everything you have said here lol.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:08 PM

33,950 posts, read 32,406,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Pretty good article about the challenges facing young couples. I find the comment by Paul Ryan at the end to be the equivalent of "Let them eat cake". Completely tone deaf and total lack of awareness of the challenges faced by working families.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...amily-policies
I recently posted this in the Political forum:

I always recommend the book: What to Expect When No One's Expecting: America's Coming Demographic Disaster by Jonathan V Last. It's not just about America despite the title. Here's a description of the book

"Population growth has been slowing for two generations. The world’s population will peak, and then begin shrinking, within the next fifty years. In some countries, it’s already started. China’s population will get very old and then rapidly contract. By 2050, one out of every 4 of its citizens will be over the age of 65. The United Nations projects that by the year 2100, Poland will have lost one-quarter of its population. Japan will be half its current size by the end of the century. In Japan, people buy more adult diapers than diapers for babies. In Italy, there are already more deaths than births every year. Thirty years ago, Iran’s fertility rate was 6.5. Two generations later it has rapidly declined to 1.88. And all of this is coming to America, too. In fact, it’s already here. Middle-class Americans have their own, informal one-child policy these days. And an alarming number of upscale professionals don’t even go that far—they have dogs, not kids. In fact, if it weren’t for the wave of immigration we experienced over the last thirty years, the United States would be on the verge of shrinking, too. But, their fertility patterns become more like the US native population after the first generation arrives."

https://www.amazon.com/What-Expect-W.../dp/1594037310

Old 07-01-2018, 03:52 PM

4,354 posts, read 5,282,875 times
Very good news. I wondered if the world population would ever peak or we would cockroach our way out of existence. But it turns out people are smarter than I thought and we see that from all developed nations now where people aren’t breeding like rabbits. This is great for the environment! Now the economy will need to figure it out.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:02 AM

24,756 posts, read 26,824,957 times
This whole idea that we're destroying the environment by having children is total BS. At the highest levels of power, the very people pushing that agenda are the ones who keep environmentally friendly technologies off the market for decades. We could've had electric cars decades ago, and that's just one example I could give.

I wish people would start understanding that the technology considered cutting edge in the public domain is really 50 to 100 years behind what is actually available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics