U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-24-2018, 01:47 PM
 
5,503 posts, read 3,357,853 times
Reputation: 13932

Advertisements

Just anecdotally--from talking to acquaintances who have no or only one child, and from reading on this forum and elsewhere, there are a certain number of Americans who say that having children is financially unfeasible for them.

There seem to be many more, however, who don't want children because kids would cramp their lifestyle. I think that's what's happening in Western Europe, Canada, Australia, Japan and other countries with a strong social net but a very low birthrate. Some of these countries even offer financial incentives for couples to have babies, but they don't have as many takers as you would expect.

Children are a lot of hard work and worry, and they tie you down. You could get really unlucky and have a sick child or a special-needs child or a morally delinquent child. If you don't anticipate needing offspring to provide anything for you personally in the future, because government and/or your own financial position will take care of that, why bother? Just have fun with your life and forget the multiple-decade hassle that is children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2018, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Honolulu, HI
4,589 posts, read 1,145,353 times
Reputation: 6568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You do realize what historically low means comparing against your own history not some other undeveloped nation?
You do realize the irrelevance of comparing against your own history versus other developed countries with the same statistics right? All developed countries have falling birthrates. Japan has the lowest birthrate in the world and I don’t see folks complaining about it being a harsh place to live (they have the highest life expectancy).

Another “America is so evil and terrible” thread.

Rich developed countries with endless access to contraceptives and birth control have less kids, imagine that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 01:53 PM
 
Location: NJ
22,680 posts, read 28,568,174 times
Reputation: 14619
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Pretty good article about the challenges facing young couples. I find the comment by Paul Ryan at the end to be the equivalent of "Let them eat cake". Completely tone deaf and total lack of awareness of the challenges faced by working families.



https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...amily-policies
the problem is that you dont know what paul ryan's job is. nobody is paying paul ryan to make america a better place to raise a family. they are paying him to make sure that the military is spending money on wars and weapons. hence a trillion dollar military budget and never ending wars.

if you want politicians to do something of value to americans, then you would need to change their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 01:54 PM
 
17,626 posts, read 12,211,350 times
Reputation: 12864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You do realize the irrelevance of comparing against your own history versus other developed countries with the same statistics right? All developed countries have falling birthrates. Japan has the lowest birthrate in the world and I don’t see folks complaining about it being a harsh place to live (they have the highest life expectancy).

Another “America is so evil and terrible” thread.
Comparing against your history isn’t far from irrelevant. In a historically consumer driven economy it’s absolutely relevant to take a look at your historical figures and compare them to the current trend. The falling birthrate has been offset by immigration and that’s a relationship that we should continue to pay attention to. Comparing yourself to other developed nation if they aren’t run the same isn’t entirely helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 01:58 PM
 
Location: NJ
22,680 posts, read 28,568,174 times
Reputation: 14619
i have two girls. i would like more children but my wife doesnt want to go through pregnancy, delivery and see further impact on her body. i just feel like the amount that i get from my kids is immeasurable and i want more of that. fortunately, the financial impact wouldnt be a problem. but i see lots of jewish people here in brooklyn with tons of kids without a ton of income. i think you make it work if that is what you really want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 02:12 PM
 
5,644 posts, read 3,196,510 times
Reputation: 6628
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i have two girls. i would like more children but my wife doesnt want to go through pregnancy, delivery and see further impact on her body. i just feel like the amount that i get from my kids is immeasurable and i want more of that. fortunately, the financial impact wouldnt be a problem. but i see lots of jewish people here in brooklyn with tons of kids without a ton of income. i think you make it work if that is what you really want.
We also have two now adult girls. Want to know how many times back in the 80's people would ask us when were were going to try for a boy? Sorry, no. My husband and I decided before we married we would have 2 children, no more, and it would be permanent birth control after. Not financial. We just did not want any more kids.

We now have 2 grandsons. Similiar things. No more children, whatever their genders. I am an Only Child born in 1948 by my parents choice, which is now far more common than then. Actually, I liked being an Only Child. I could communicate with Adults far better at younger ages than my peers could who grew up with multiple siblings.

It is not just about finances. Other factors come into play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Honolulu, HI
4,589 posts, read 1,145,353 times
Reputation: 6568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Comparing against your history isn’t far from irrelevant. In a historically consumer driven economy it’s absolutely relevant to take a look at your historical figures and compare them to the current trendl
Not when the statistics are a straw man used to demonize America.

Believe it or not, birthrates are falling in every developed country and not just America, imagine that.

America isn’t the hellhole you want it to be no matter how many left leaning articles you read that cherry pick trends reflected in all developed countries and label them as “American outliers.”

Last edited by Rocko20; 05-24-2018 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 02:51 PM
 
Location: California
1,134 posts, read 962,190 times
Reputation: 2056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Not when the statistics are a straw man used to demonize America.

Believe it or not, birthrates are falling in every developed country and not just America, imagine that.

America isn’t the hellhole you want it to be no matter how many left leaning articles you read that cherry pick trends reflected in all developed countries and label them as “American outliers.”
There is a big gap between a hellhole and realistic problems that need to be fixed. Stop being melodramatic.

The article uses the birthrate as a pretext to point out all the challenges of having a kid in America. Of course there are other factors, which have been pointed out in this thread. Of course, the article is biased - it is an OpEd.

However, it points out key REAL problems, which many people struggle with. Feel free to bury your head in the sand. America didn't become the most powerful country by not acknowledging its problems.

People like you are funny to me. They think that every criticism comes from a bad place. You lament about Political Correctness and yearn for the days of "calling it like it is". But the second somebody points something that doesn't fit your worldview, you act offended, you start using hyperbole, and you are OUTRAGED. Grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 02:56 PM
 
Location: NJ
22,680 posts, read 28,568,174 times
Reputation: 14619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
We also have two now adult girls. Want to know how many times back in the 80's people would ask us when were were going to try for a boy? Sorry, no. My husband and I decided before we married we would have 2 children, no more, and it would be permanent birth control after. Not financial. We just did not want any more kids.

We now have 2 grandsons. Similiar things. No more children, whatever their genders. I am an Only Child born in 1948 by my parents choice, which is now far more common than then. Actually, I liked being an Only Child. I could communicate with Adults far better at younger ages than my peers could who grew up with multiple siblings.

It is not just about finances. Other factors come into play.
it seems like most of our close friends are doing 2. i have been asked about if i want a boy but not many times. i want more girls. i am so happy with my girls that i dont see any point in changing the formula. there is zero desire in me to have boys. plus, my last name sucks and i would like to get rid of it. i will probably have it legally changed at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 02:57 PM
 
17,626 posts, read 12,211,350 times
Reputation: 12864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Not when the statistics are a straw man used to demonize America.

Believe it or not, birthrates are falling in every developed country and not just America, imagine that.

America isn’t the hellhole you want it to be no matter how many left leaning articles you read that cherry pick trends reflected in all developed countries and label them as “American outliers.”
I’m not sure where you are attempting to draw the line that I feel America is a hellhole or that I am cherry picking anything. It’s seems you have a comprehension issue as you’ve clearly misread what I said and fabricated all that’s in your response specific to me. Falling birthrates in the US are and should be a concern and it also can be if a concern in other nations. Maybe you could benefit a bit from taking a giant step back from your overdramatized approach. I guess if people dying of cancer is increasing in the US it’s not really a concern if it’s also increasing in other developed nations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top