U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 12:18 AM

24,757 posts, read 26,824,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Birth rates don't really tell us much. People might not be wanting to have kids, or maybe less % of the population is in a relationship at a mature enough level to have them. Seems like a goofy thing to complain about given it's generally personal choice. Maybe if there was some disease that was causing fertility rates to go down I'd care more about that statistic, but come on.

Besides, isn't overpopulation a bad thing?
Overpopulation isn't a problem in developed countries. Low birth rates are a bigger problem because we have too many old people and not enough young people to pay their medical and social security bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Having children is not expensive because plenty of folks are popping babies out left and right at the expense of tax payers.
It's mostly poor people doing that. Middle class people pay to raise their own kids for the most part. Which is why the middle class is shrinking. Smart, educated, higher income people aren't having many kids, but poor people are, as this scene from the movie Idiocracy so aptly portrays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL1-340ODCM

Old 05-25-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I can assure you, that is not the case at all where I live. Instead, its the black sheep of the family, overall losers or the liberal uneducated friends who go childless or just have one. Just the way it should be.
Unfortunately, that isn't the norm.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lologal321 View Post
What makes people have more kids when life is tough?
Survival programming.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:53 AM

10,647 posts, read 3,324,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i have two girls. i would like more children but my wife doesnt want to go through pregnancy, delivery and see further impact on her body. i just feel like the amount that i get from my kids is immeasurable and i want more of that. fortunately, the financial impact wouldnt be a problem. but i see lots of jewish people here in brooklyn with tons of kids without a ton of income. i think you make it work if that is what you really want.

Is money a factor? Yes, but if you truly want children you make it work. You find a better job, go back to school to further education for a better job, work and extra job, cut back on vacations, etc. Health care costs and maternity leave are absolutely horrible in the country and it needs to change. Especially when an illegal person can come here and have a child for free yet I paid $5k out of pocket and that was 10 years ago! I also think paid maternity leave should be mandatory for a certain length in time. We are way behind other countries in this!

Old 05-25-2018, 05:08 AM

3,672 posts, read 5,787,363 times
I would like to see more companies offer paternity leave.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:53 AM

7,154 posts, read 5,958,670 times
For me its a matter of being a combination of boring and shy, combined with my study of evolutionary psychology combined with personal experience that tells me that women deep down aren't attracted to provider males, they want fun guys and exciting chad types. They merely settle for or use the more boring guys for resources. Social media has made me do a cost benefit analysis and come to the conclusion I'll probably remain single. Women would rather share an alpha than have a beta to themselves and with social media they are constantly being hit on by men. There are far more men like me than the supply of good women who actually bring something more to the table than their vaginas and being "fun" so I've stopped pursuing and focus on hobbies.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:03 AM

164 posts, read 74,893 times
In addition to harsh (OP), I would add that the U.S. is an expensive place to raise a child.

For years the USDA (= U.S. Department of Agriculture) has released its annual "Expenditures on Children by Families report," and it estimates that for a child born in 2013, one can expect to spend about $245,340 ($304,480 adjusted for projected inflation) to raise that child from ages 1 to 18: https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2014...st-raise-child

And that of course, does not include one of the biggest and most important expenses: higher education, i.e., college, that is almost certainly important for many (unless they go to "trade" schools, etc.)

This statistic rarely seems to factor into decisions about when to start a family, or how large a family do we want.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:15 AM

280 posts, read 90,584 times
This is mostly a issue for white American's which is why conservative politicians are losing their minds over it. Birthrates for minorities are surpassing whites and that scares at least half the country.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:17 AM

280 posts, read 90,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
For me its a matter of being a combination of boring and shy, combined with my study of evolutionary psychology combined with personal experience that tells me that women deep down aren't attracted to provider males, they want fun guys and exciting chad types. They merely settle for or use the more boring guys for resources. Social media has made me do a cost benefit analysis and come to the conclusion I'll probably remain single. Women would rather share an alpha than have a beta to themselves and with social media they are constantly being hit on by men. There are far more men like me than the supply of good women who actually bring something more to the table than their vaginas and being "fun" so I've stopped pursuing and focus on hobbies.
Holy crap. We got incels in here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics