U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-25-2018, 01:31 PM
 
9,323 posts, read 11,159,538 times
Reputation: 12507

Advertisements

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/eco...ax-cut-n876901

Closing a US plant, opening one in Thailand! Who is going to buy a Harley made in Thailand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-25-2018, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Under Moon & Star
1,589 posts, read 562,095 times
Reputation: 8847
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/eco...ax-cut-n876901

Closing a US plant, opening one in Thailand! Who is going to buy a Harley made in Thailand?
Probably the 100,000 or so people who buy Harley's every year who aren't Americans.

Anyone who thought the tax-cut-for-the-wealthy was ever going to benefit anyone but the already-wealthy, CEOs, and stockholders, is beyond gullible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2018, 02:40 PM
 
28,137 posts, read 24,659,949 times
Reputation: 9534
An American icon, proudly built in Thailand.

Have to agree that this tax cut was obviously for the benefit of corporations and the wealthy. You have to wonder how anybody could have thought otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2018, 02:42 PM
 
9,323 posts, read 11,159,538 times
Reputation: 12507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Probably the 100,000 or so people who buy Harley's every year who aren't Americans.

.
But isn't the point of buying a Harley the fact that it is American iron?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2018, 04:10 PM
 
11,576 posts, read 17,510,858 times
Reputation: 17241
I hate to use the common term "FAKE NEWS" in regards to the political spin...but, yeah, it's fake news, at least as it relates to tax brakes or any action from the current administration.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ha...steel-tariffs/

"WHAT'S TRUE
Harley-Davidson has announced the closure of at least one of their U.S. factories and also announced that they would be opening a manufacturing plant in Thailand.

WHAT'S FALSE
These decisions were both made before President Trump imposed tariffs on imported steel, and Harley-Davidson did not shut down their Wisconsin plant nor stop building motorcycles in the United States."


This includes the new tax plan, as closure and consolidation in the KC plant was planned way back in 2015. The opening of the Thailand plant was announced in 2017.

And the real news without the nonsensical political spin (and you guys know better to go that route in this forum):

Harley has sadly been in a state of financial trouble for about a decade as the baby boomers move from motorcycles to wheelchairs. And a Harley is not something goes out and buys with a tax break, most of their previous customers were already moderately wealthy. By 2010 they had already closed several factories and cut about 25% of it's workforce. They still have it's main factory in Wisconsin, and also in York, PA and many of those job losses in KC will be shifted to York.
They also been international for quite awhile - with factories in both Brazil and India.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2018, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Sarasota FL
6,523 posts, read 8,612,228 times
Reputation: 6038
Basic biz economics. You can't keep a plant open trying to sell an overpriced product that no one wants to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2018, 06:48 PM
 
18,293 posts, read 11,683,969 times
Reputation: 11946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I hate to use the common term "FAKE NEWS" in regards to the political spin...but, yeah, it's fake news, at least as it relates to tax brakes or any action from the current administration.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ha...steel-tariffs/

"WHAT'S TRUE
Harley-Davidson has announced the closure of at least one of their U.S. factories and also announced that they would be opening a manufacturing plant in Thailand.

WHAT'S FALSE
These decisions were both made before President Trump imposed tariffs on imported steel, and Harley-Davidson did not shut down their Wisconsin plant nor stop building motorcycles in the United States."

This includes the new tax plan, as closure and consolidation in the KC plant was planned way back in 2015. The opening of the Thailand plant was announced in 2017.

And the real news without the nonsensical political spin (and you guys know better to go that route in this forum):

Harley has sadly been in a state of financial trouble for about a decade as the baby boomers move from motorcycles to wheelchairs. And a Harley is not something goes out and buys with a tax break, most of their previous customers were already moderately wealthy. By 2010 they had already closed several factories and cut about 25% of it's workforce. They still have it's main factory in Wisconsin, and also in York, PA and many of those job losses in KC will be shifted to York.
They also been international for quite awhile - with factories in both Brazil and India.

Quite right.


Simply put motorcycles have been seeing decreasing sales in USA for quite sometime as the Boomers age out or die, and the other younger demographics just aren't that into the things to drive sales.


The whole EZ-Rider, bad boy or whatever motorcycle culture really only took off post WWII (1950's). Prior to that the things were largely confined to LE and of course military IIRC.


Even with all this Japan has long dominated motorcycle sales worldwide for some time; HD while holding onto some popularity in USA has seen their market share decline.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...ycle#Postwar_2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2018, 09:13 PM
 
1,026 posts, read 555,878 times
Reputation: 2954
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Basic biz economics. You can't keep a plant open trying to sell an overpriced product that no one wants to buy.

That might be true but the even more basic thing and real driver is cheaper labor and manufacturing/operating expenses after moving out of the US. Also, the manufacturer doesn't have to deal with all the restrictions put on them here with labor laws, wages, unions, equal opportunity bs, OSHA, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2018, 11:47 PM
 
6,243 posts, read 1,515,119 times
Reputation: 4527
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
That might be true but the even more basic thing and real driver is cheaper labor and manufacturing/operating expenses after moving out of the US. Also, the manufacturer doesn't have to deal with all the restrictions put on them here with labor laws, wages, unions, equal opportunity bs, OSHA, etc.
Who wants to bet though, come memorial day, July 4th, this year, Harley Davidson will likely be trying to look like a proud american company?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2018, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Florida
2,453 posts, read 635,659 times
Reputation: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I hate to use the common term "FAKE NEWS" in regards to the political spin...but, yeah, it's fake news, at least as it relates to tax brakes or any action from the current administration.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ha...steel-tariffs/

"WHAT'S TRUE
Harley-Davidson has announced the closure of at least one of their U.S. factories and also announced that they would be opening a manufacturing plant in Thailand.

WHAT'S FALSE
These decisions were both made before President Trump imposed tariffs on imported steel, and Harley-Davidson did not shut down their Wisconsin plant nor stop building motorcycles in the United States."


This includes the new tax plan, as closure and consolidation in the KC plant was planned way back in 2015. The opening of the Thailand plant was announced in 2017.

And the real news without the nonsensical political spin (and you guys know better to go that route in this forum):

Harley has sadly been in a state of financial trouble for about a decade as the baby boomers move from motorcycles to wheelchairs. And a Harley is not something goes out and buys with a tax break, most of their previous customers were already moderately wealthy. By 2010 they had already closed several factories and cut about 25% of it's workforce. They still have it's main factory in Wisconsin, and also in York, PA and many of those job losses in KC will be shifted to York.
They also been international for quite awhile - with factories in both Brazil and India.
I was going to say, this should have been in the political forum. Also, I would have to add, Harley Davidson isn't keeping up with the times. Today's new generation wants fast sleek looking bikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top