Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 12:22 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,269,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

My bank president, sees me in the bank, and comes out to personally greet me and visit a little to make sure I am a happy camper as they say.
Not all banks are local banks with only one branch/headquarters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 06:01 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,525,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
25 million in investable wealth.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...urce=applenews

lol, darn it, I just missed it by 24 million.

funny stuff.
$25 million at least.

Rich is buying what you want and not noticing.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:18 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,815,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
Several banks have a wealth management businesses that have much lower minimums.
Even Goldman Sachs will take on clients with a measly 10 mill

Old 06-02-2018, 01:32 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,888,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollar psf View Post
If you can invest $500,000 a year for 30 years (should be achievable by a neurosurgeon earning $1M a year) you would have $30M with an 8% return.
Don't neurosurgeons pay taxes?

Old 06-02-2018, 06:05 AM

8,290 posts, read 4,319,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Don't neurosurgeons pay taxes?

An average neurosurgeon makes less than $400k a year, and if he/she lives in California, pays about 45% of that income in federal and state taxes. The maximum investable amount is realistically close to $50k per year. Not entirely bad, but surely not $500k :-). Where do people get such grandiose ideas about surgeons' incomes?

Old 06-02-2018, 08:57 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,618,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
According to these standards even doctors and lawyers are not rich. Unless you are a great plastic surgeon or heart or brain and a top lawyer often in class actions you will not amass $25 million.
The only docs and lawyers I know who are rich got most of their money from family money...or their wives family.

We have a 2nd house in a small condo development and the couple of docs and lawyers that bought there had to get mortgages. We, and many others, bought cash.

Doctors are generally not rich. That's why they are so easily drawn into the Pill Mill thing, etc.
Any real money they would have earned was sucked away long ago by medical corporations, health insurance companies, etc.

Lawyers, other than a few at the very top, are also definitely not rich. Maybe upper middle class, but not in the current status we call "rich". Rich these days is for VC's, Wall Streeters, etc.

Anyone can get a money manager - it's just that they take a vast percentage of your earnings in many cases (especially at the low end)....

There is no free lunch - other than "The Art of the Con" and that doesn't work out well either. If Trump would have invested in Berkshire instead of himself, he's have 180 BILLION dollars instead of virtually nothing (3 billion - so he only "lost" 177 Billion).

Even at a billion or two you buy "used" in terms of jets and also often just buy some hours on netjet.

You can buy an old working airliner for 1-3 million dollars. Cheap. But can you afford the fuel, pilots and other costs?

Old 06-02-2018, 09:01 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,618,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Even Goldman Sachs will take on clients with a measly 10 mill
Yeah, some 20-something will spend a few minutes here and there when you harken.

It's easy to do the calcs. Figuring a conservative average of 6% these days, your 10 million dollar account can make $600,000 a year. If GS can suck you dry for 10% of that, the giant corporation makes 60K....not enough for them to spend very much time on you.

Many ETF's and mutual funds are run by a team of folks that are very experienced - and, in the long run, they almost always beat personal advice.

Why anyone would want a single individual giving them such advice is beyond me!

Old 06-02-2018, 02:41 PM

15,935 posts, read 12,227,502 times
That's about what I expected. In the crypto space it wasn't until people had paper accounts of $15+ million that they started to get attention. A couple of million dollar is still small potatoes in the global economy. Even if I had $25 million I have no desire to have a private jet. I'd rather learn to fly and take a little crop duster out and have a little fun.

I don't understand these people with private jets, given so many of them vote democrat and try to tell me that I pollute.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
An average neurosurgeon makes less than $400k a year, and if he/she lives in California, pays about 45% of that income in federal and state taxes. The maximum investable amount is realistically close to $50k per year. Not entirely bad, but surely not $500k :-). Where do people get such grandiose ideas about surgeons' incomes?
Nice to know that if I need brain surgery the person doing it will be grossly underpaid. :-(

Old 06-03-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Yeah, some 20-something will spend a few minutes here and there when you harken.

It's easy to do the calcs. Figuring a conservative average of 6% these days, your 10 million dollar account can make $600,000 a year. If GS can suck you dry for 10% of that, the giant corporation makes 60K....not enough for them to spend very much time on you.

Many ETF's and mutual funds are run by a team of folks that are very experienced - and, in the long run, they almost always beat personal advice.

Why anyone would want a single individual giving them such advice is beyond me!
The valuable advice is tax and estate planning, not which fund to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics