U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you paid any atention to what's depicted on the banknotes and coins that you hold?
Never. I'm only interested in sniffing and spending the cash 2 12.50%
Only denominational numbers, digits with an occasional security feature 2 12.50%
Occasionally I pay attention to faces, plants, animals, buildings, heraldics, texts etc. 7 43.75%
I thoroughly inspect every note and coin I receive and can tell the difference 2 12.50%
I'm an avid collector of banknotes and/or coins 5 31.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 11:44 AM

326 posts, read 192,029 times

Advertisements

Has anyone paid any atention to what's depicted on the banknotes and coins that you hold in your wallet, secure safe or even inside of books of your library and even in an occasional collectible album?

Last edited by newtocolumbia; 06-03-2018 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 04:18 PM

2,160 posts, read 795,391 times
Here is a test. Without looking, what inscription on US coins states the value of the coin? I bet not one person in a hundred can answer that question with respect to all four US coins in common circulation.l

Old 06-03-2018, 04:32 PM

5,500 posts, read 3,352,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Here is a test. Without looking, what inscription on US coins states the value of the coin? I bet not one person in a hundred can answer that question with respect to all four US coins in common circulation.l
Hmm...are they "one cent, five cents, one dime, one quarter dollar"?

I remember reading somewhere that people tend to think that "dime" is a slang word when it is actually the official name of that coin.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:04 PM

4,129 posts, read 2,712,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
One Cent, Five Cents, One Dime, Quarter Dollar, Half Dollar, One Dollar.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:28 AM

326 posts, read 192,029 times
US banknotes or bills: USA OVERVIEW

Philippine banknotes: PHILIPPINES OVERVIEW

US coins in circulation: https://www.usmint.gov/learn/coin-an...culating-coins

Old 06-04-2018, 06:32 PM

2,160 posts, read 795,391 times
Right. When I was born, George Washington's picture was on Philippine money.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:20 PM

1,020 posts, read 288,332 times
I collect coins and watch out for those with precious metals in them (like silver) and wheat cents.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:12 PM

7,129 posts, read 5,944,806 times
I used to collect coins before the US mint started overdoing it with all the designs and at the same time the Chinese started to produce clones of older coins that are very good, and even tried to start to clone the holders. The coins might not pass certification but they'll pass scrutiny of the novice collector and effectively act to dilute the supply of coins and the demand for certain dates. It makes it more important to get coins certified if you're in the hobby. As far as I'm concerned if it's not certified, there's a good chance it's fake.

I do have a PCGS registry set I don't plan to complete. I do own a 1913-s but it's certified by NGC.

https://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/qua...ltimeset/44570

I just enjoy the look of non cleaned XF grey barber quarters and halves. I got my fix with what I have.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:12 AM

13,116 posts, read 9,199,435 times
I've noticed since America stopped using lawful money and shifted to worthless IOUs and counterfeit coin, things have gone downhill.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:11 PM

8,504 posts, read 2,387,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I've noticed since America stopped using lawful money and shifted to worthless IOUs and counterfeit coin, things have gone downhill.
Not for those of means. But for everyone else they generally stayed the same or grew only slowly.

The real money is energy and that's hardly gone up at all over many many decades...even less so when measured against increased efficiency.

Correlation is not causation.

Tax rates under IKE were as high as 90%. Now they are well less than 1/2 that, so the very wealthy have a good reason to take every dollar they can make. Whereas before a CEO might have been very happy with 500K a year, these days they want millions....plus stock which could be worth millions or tens of millions. Since they now get to keep most of all they pay themselves, the sky is the limit.

And, the less they pay the regular folks, the more they can take home.

Surprise...people respond to the incentives provided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or