Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 10:03 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Where that seems to be the case... my observation is that UNDERemployment is up.

Specific example:
Neighbor is holding it together with a job many would call success.
Decent benefits and hours etc and it pays him... $38,000.

But with his education and experience DOING this job...
others in similar COL areas and divisions in his same company... get $52,000.
Yeah I agree . Low unemployment but the jobs often aren’t paying enough due to the rise in cost of living . Leading people to seek out other sources of income like gig work .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 02:44 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah I know they used to call it moonlighting but that term isn’t used anymore to my knowledge .
Quote:
Yeah true . The unemployment rate has gone down drastically in many places .
Just using Vallejo as an example , it was up to 17 percent in 2010 , now it’s 4.3%.

In California at least I think a lot of people are doing the gig jobs like Uber and food delivery apps in order to help make ends meet because the cost of living is so high especially housing .
Moonlighting is still used and would be part of the gig economy. It applies to people using it to supplement income from a regular job. That's part of the gig economy. I've done some in the past when I was working longer government contracts, but I work in a generally 8-5 field so there's limited opportunity to do that.

California also just has a large number of people where that's their only source of income. I'm self-employed as my only source of earned income, so I'm not moonlighting. Likewise my cousin is married to man who is a music producer working on movies, documentaries, TV shows, video games. Then I have an uncle, now retired, who was a design engineer. Most of his career he worked on a contract basis until the project was done and then found another contract and did that.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:16 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Moonlighting is still used and would be part of the gig economy. It applies to people using it to supplement income from a regular job. That's part of the gig economy. I've done some in the past when I was working longer government contracts, but I work in a generally 8-5 field so there's limited opportunity to do that.

California also just has a large number of people where that's their only source of income. I'm self-employed as my only source of earned income, so I'm not moonlighting. Likewise my cousin is married to man who is a music producer working on movies, documentaries, TV shows, video games. Then I have an uncle, now retired, who was a design engineer. Most of his career he worked on a contract basis until the project was done and then found another contract and did that.
Yeah that is a lot of that in CA especially with entertainment business since it’s mostly contract work .
They don’t know how long the tv shows will go on etc .

I guess anytime one is in an industry like that people will be looking for other streams of income too .
I know quite a few in the film industry invest in real estate for example . You also hear about age discrimination once one gets older it can be harder to find work . Building up income on the side seems smart especially in that situation .

I guess I haven’t heard the term moonlighting used recently . I’ve heard it used a lot in books or movies years back .

Old 06-15-2018, 04:31 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
I guess I haven’t heard the term moonlighting used recently .
I’ve heard it used a lot in books or movies years back .
Every generation seems to come up with new terms to describe things that have been going on for Millenia
and then want to act as though it's all something new. That the parents won't know what they refer to is a bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics