U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 09:21 PM

17,612 posts, read 12,197,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
What I find interesting about this is nothing mentioned on the depreciation of his vehicle.

I work for a large Washington, DC metropolitan area Toyota dealer in the service department. I do not know why anyone does this for a living and how they are making a profit. The other day a 2016 Camry Hybrid with 150K had to be towed in because the hybrid battery died. That's a $5000.00 repair. On a car that is 2 years old?

I can always spot them. Some customers come in once per month to get service because they drive 5,000 miles per month. I see a few of these. I personally spoke to a couple of Uber drivers (without me bring it up) who told me they are getting out.

It's apparent one can work at a fast food place and make a better living.

How many people let alone uber drivers are driving 75k miles a year? And if they are 5k in repairs probably should be expected no? Along with brakes, trans flush or possible replacement and on and on. That is unless you are exaggerating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 09:33 PM

7,129 posts, read 5,942,160 times
I agree its not worth it, kind of like delivering pizzas. Heck, when you factor in tips delivering pizzas might pay more.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:05 AM

13,115 posts, read 9,199,435 times
And people think I'm nuts for wanting to bring back electric traction rail mass transit - - -

At least folks are learning the hard way, that an automobile is an expensive mode of transportation, and most cars are not really built for a 100% duty cycle taxi service.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:24 AM

2,746 posts, read 1,207,954 times
I'm thinking about doing it precisely for the wear and tear. I bought my wife a Lexus Hybrid. The ride is is big and comfy...like a boat. Totally not me, but she said she wanted a car. That lasted for about 2000 miles, then she wanted her RX350 back. It's so cute, we have matching white Lexus....gag.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:11 AM

8,591 posts, read 6,109,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
How many people let alone uber drivers are driving 75k miles a year? And if they are 5k in repairs probably should be expected no? Along with brakes, trans flush or possible replacement and on and on. That is unless you are exaggerating
Exaggerating about what and why would I do that? I resent the accusation and find your post highly insulting.

How the heck should I know how many Uber or Lyft drivers are "driving 75K per year" What a stupid question, as is the statement "shouldn't that be expected." Well, obviously it's not being considered enough which is the reason for my on topic post. That is the point.

I doubt not very many Uber or Lyft employees as a whole are logging in that kind of mileage. But this is the Washington, DC metropolitan area which is obviously one of the biggest in the country. I stated a fact very clearly that there are some who are driving about 5,000 miles per month. I personally see this.

Not enough consideration is being given to how much a car depreciates when miles is accumulated when someone takes this kind of job. That along all other obvious expenses makes this a very unprofitable business for one to go into.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:27 AM

17,612 posts, read 12,197,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Exaggerating about what and why would I do that? I resent the accusation and find your post highly insulting.

How the heck should I know how many Uber or Lyft drivers are "driving 75K per year" What a stupid question, as is the statement "shouldn't that be expected." Well, obviously it's not being considered enough which is the reason for my on topic post. That is the point.

I doubt not very many Uber or Lyft employees as a whole are logging in that kind of mileage. But this is the Washington, DC metropolitan area which is obviously one of the biggest in the country. I stated a fact very clearly that there are some who are driving about 5,000 miles per month. I personally see this.

Not enough consideration is being given to how much a car depreciates when miles is accumulated when someone takes this kind of job. That along all other obvious expenses makes this a very unprofitable business for one to go into.
People exaggerate all the time and often times here it would be to try and support or prove a point they believe in. If someone is posting 75k miles a year it would be expected that some serious maintenance cost would be associated with the activity. Iím not sure anyone is driving that much and expecting to pay little to no maintenance cost. The same concept would apply to depreciation.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:38 AM

10,265 posts, read 6,491,094 times
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/b...g-economy.html

Uber is part of the myth of the gig economy. Which is how corporations set up ways to make money of something you own such as Uber and Airbnb. You are not an employee and they don't even pay unemployment or their share of social security.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:56 AM

20,950 posts, read 15,267,317 times
If you want a little spare change on your own terms, it's perfectly fine, but I'd rather never rely on it for my day job.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:13 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,824,630 times
i've never done it myself but I have a coworker who does it from time to time. he has a kid who has a serious condition and it helps with the medical bills. but even though he tells me he turns the thing off when he goes through parts of the city where he knows there would be drunk people and drug addicts because he doesn't want anyone to puke in his car, or to reek of weed.

Also one of my airbnb guests who moved to the city and did this for a week, said it's perfectly ok and he could live on this income.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:25 AM

3,534 posts, read 2,690,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Every where I look, I see a Uber or Lyft stickers on a car and many of them are very nice. Ive always wondered why so many people would put their nice cars through the ringers for pennies on the dollar.

I know it beats working for McDonalds for $8hr and you make your own schedule, but with the extra cost of insurance, wear and tear, more maintenance and not even knowing who you will be picking up now, does this show a different state of our economy where so many are willing to do this?
Working at McDonalds would probably provide a higher wage. Plus employees get to eat for free or at greatly discounted rates.

Don't have to deal with drunks puking in your back seat either.

Uber/Lyft is for people bad at math. And there's plenty of them to be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or