U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 04:42 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,625,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
He had a very detailed worksheet, and had driven for them for much longer than your month and a half stint.

I wish I could find it, but I have no reason to believe he was fabricating numbers.
Sure, he made the equivalent of poverty wages in 3/4 of the country in one of the few areas of high demand and low competition where you can consistently fill your time and routes without wasting miles. Yippee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 04:48 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,016,706 times
Uber/Lyft is basically a way to borrow against the future value of your car with a few bucks on top. Great if you need to give yourself a cash advance now and then, not so great if you're trying to make a living doing it.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:54 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,314,105 times
I have a client who does it full time (I'm an insurance agent) and he got in right from the beginning. He said he used to be able to make really good money, but now it's hard because so many people are doing it. He said he has to put in an insane amount of hours to make any money and the wear on his vehicle is not worth it any more.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:03 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,625,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
You have to be pretty bad at Uber to be losing money.

I've got a spreadsheet and make ~$13/hr in a very low cost of living metro area after all depreciation and tax ramifications are factored in.

Is that worth it? If you are unemployed but have a car, absolutely. If you find yourself bored a couple nights a month and need a few extra hundred dollars per month? Sure.

Is it some great career where you will become wealthy? Of course not.

The big draw is being able to work when you want for how long you want. I can't think of too many jobs that require such a low skillset that gives that type of flexibility. Basically none outside of the "gig economy".
Bad at Uber? All it takes is for a few of your buddies to join in on the fun and all of a sudden you find that you are coming home empty after a 25 mile fare out to the boonies several times a day, or you get no rides at all for hours. Maybe you have it timed to live off of surge pricing, but lots of places rarely see that.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:36 PM

2,391 posts, read 2,118,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Bad at Uber? All it takes is for a few of your buddies to join in on the fun and all of a sudden you find that you are coming home empty after a 25 mile fare out to the boonies several times a day, or you get no rides at all for hours. Maybe you have it timed to live off of surge pricing, but lots of places rarely see that.
I almost never get surge pricing. I only work a couple nights a month (weekends) and if you plan well, it isn't that hard to avoid coming home empty for 25 miles.

I'm just letting you know my experience. You won't make much money, but $13/hr post tax for a job that takes basically no skill and lets you pick when you want to work is not a bad option for people between jobs/in a pinch/bored.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:28 PM

4,725 posts, read 2,255,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I'm just letting you know my experience. You won't make much money, but $13/hr post tax for a job that takes basically no skill and lets you pick when you want to work is not a bad option for people between jobs/in a pinch/bored.
Isn't it funny all these people basically telling you that you're wrong about how much money you make when you're the one driving for Uber and tracking your income and expenses? They've got a preconception and no firsthand experience will get in the way of it.

Same with the example I posted, the first reaction was "those numbers don't seem real."

Old 06-11-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Have you ever seen a nice taxi? No? Me either so why would you want to turn your car into a taxi? I recently heard a great one liner describing uber/lift: Its basically organized hitchhiking! You get in a strangers car and go for a ride!
I've been in my share of Ubers, and every single one was nice inside. They have to be to drive for Uber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Cab company is licensed by the city/state and the driver is known to them. Cab company has insurance and in most towns are recognizable as a local cab company. Every cab I have been in recently had the drivers picture on the dash or back of seat. Similar to a bus argument, the driver could kidnap you but when was the last time you heard of that happening
Driver is known to Uber, driver must have insurance, and with Uber you know the name of the driver and his rating before he even arrives. The Uber I took this morning the driver had almost 3,000 rides and 4.8 out of five stars rating from his customers, I knew his name and the make/model/plate# before he pulled up.

That is far more information than I know about a taxi driver.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Sure, he made the equivalent of poverty wages in 3/4 of the country in one of the few areas of high demand and low competition where you can consistently fill your time and routes without wasting miles. Yippee.
Beats earning poverty wages stacking watermelons into trucks, working the counter at a liquor store at 11:30pm, or flipping burgers over a hot flame.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:19 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
How many people let alone uber drivers are driving 75k miles a year? And if they are 5k in repairs probably should be expected no? Along with brakes, trans flush or possible replacement and on and on. That is unless you are exaggerating

I have had several salesmen who would put 60-70k per year on their pick-up trucks.

Heck, the 2017 Toyota Corolla that I rented from Hertz three weeks ago had 56k miles.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:55 PM

17,624 posts, read 12,203,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have had several salesmen who would put 60-70k per year on their pick-up trucks.

Heck, the 2017 Toyota Corolla that I rented from Hertz three weeks ago had 56k miles.

A 2017 Corrolla could have 2+ years of service at this point. Not many people are logging 75k miles a year but if they are high maintenance cost are pretty much a given
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or