Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 03:29 PM

674 posts, read 608,609 times

Advertisements

A good friend of mine drives for Uber/Lyft in San Francisco. He's an ex-engineer who had to drop out of the rat race to care for his elderly parents, 7 years ago. Now that they have both passed away, he does not feel like going back to work; it'd probably be also very difficult for him to find a job, due to the long unemployment gap. So he started driving for Uber/Lyft.

Being an ex-engineer, he keeps good track of his expenses, and tells me he nets about $15-$20/hr on average. But SF is a big tourist town, so that rate would probably be lower most anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 04:20 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,018,880 times
chump change in SF.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:31 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
chump change in SF.
He might have inherited mom and dad's San Fran home.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:38 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
A good friend of mine drives for Uber/Lyft in San Francisco. He's an ex-engineer who had to drop out of the rat race to care for his elderly parents, 7 years ago. Now that they have both passed away, he does not feel like going back to work; it'd probably be also very difficult for him to find a job, due to the long unemployment gap. So he started driving for Uber/Lyft.

Being an ex-engineer, he keeps good track of his expenses, and tells me he nets about $15-$20/hr on average. But SF is a big tourist town, so that rate would probably be lower most anywhere else.
Homeless people make more than that begging for money in SF

Old 06-13-2018, 07:29 PM

674 posts, read 608,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He might have inherited mom and dad's San Fran home.
In fact, he did. He is renting the 2nd floor out while he lives on the 1st floor. The rent pays his mortgage with *plenty* left over. And the house would probably fetch $1M+ in today's market. He tells me he does Uber/Lyft 2-3 hrs/day, just for fun.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:54 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Oh come on, EVERY industry grows in efficiency by eliminating the need for paid humans wherever possible
You're clearly not seeing the difference between:

* Making employees more productive so the company doesn't need so many VERSUS
* making employees worthless by completely putting them out of jobs.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/parad...ur-future-bob/

The difference is the philosophy behind the technology. New paradigm technology has a dehumanizing philosophy.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:08 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/parad...ur-future-bob/

The difference is the philosophy behind the technology. New paradigm technology has a dehumanizing philosophy.
I agree with you, they are using people's free cars and free gas and free maintenance and want to cut the people out with self driving cars and are foolishly spending billions to do it. Little do they know that the only reason they are making the money is because they are getting free cars and paying very little for it, Meanwhile the self driving program was on hold last time I heard since a car killed someone. These self driving cars are not ready and it they didn't even think out the cost of having them on the road and there is only so much money they can make in a day with traffic and other problems like finding passengers.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:53 AM

654 posts, read 424,047 times
I think if you're lucky and live in the right market and drive the right car you may be able to make around minimum wage, maybe slightly more. The perfect car would be a 8 year old corolla/civic that already has a ton of mileage on it, so the additional miles aren't as costly and you should know how to do small repairs and all maintenance. Some of the cars I see are definitely taking a loss, the worst car economically I have been picked up in is a V8 charger. I have been picked up in quite a few V6 suvs too, at best they are probably getting around 15 - 20 mpg.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:28 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22003yo View Post
I think if you're lucky and live in the right market and drive the right car you may be able to make around minimum wage, maybe slightly more. The perfect car would be a 8 year old corolla/civic that already has a ton of mileage on it, so the additional miles aren't as costly and you should know how to do small repairs and all maintenance. Some of the cars I see are definitely taking a loss, the worst car economically I have been picked up in is a V8 charger. I have been picked up in quite a few V6 suvs too, at best they are probably getting around 15 - 20 mpg.
My fiancé and I were picked up in a pretty new-looking Cadillac Escalade once. My fiancé tipped him on top of the built in tip and I scolded him for it after we got out, lol.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:36 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post

You're seriously trying to draw a distinction between not needing as many employees and making employees worthless by putting them out of jobs? Not needing as many employees is exactly that, putting people out of jobs. Do you really believe other companies have some altruistic motivation where they want to be more productive with less employees but are different than other companies which want to put employees out of jobs? That's so incredibly naive, to the point it's almost cute.

So you think if McDonalds or General Motors or Amazon could invent a way to fire everyone (making employees worthless) they wouldn't, because they have different motivations than evil Uber which also wants to fire as many people as possible?

You win the "arbitrary clueless distinctions" award for 2018, and we're not even past June. Congrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics