U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 01:24 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,031,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Rents are based on demand for the area .

The owner canít force someone to rent their apartment . If people refuse to pay the price rents come down . There is a low supply of rentals in L.A for example and an increasing number of people ( demand ) that are willing and able to rent an apartment so rents have been going up over the years .

A lot of people are willing to give half their income to a landlord in CA for the privilege of living in CA. Some call it the ďsunshine tax ď
Always same excuse. Demand in the area. Right owner cant force somebody to rent, but what is forcing you to keep raising the prices? If they dont raise taxes or any expenses you have to pay out of pocket, what reasoning you have to raise prices? nothing changed other then the person salary.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:28 PM

24,235 posts, read 13,717,086 times
Example I used was a room but the same room here in L.A would probably be $800 or more

If one is in a lower skilled job anywhere it’s not going to be a breeze but my point is it’s more doable in Phoenix for example .

You can find places with your own apartment very cheap in parts of the Midwest etc

This is why a lot of younger people are staying at home to establish themselves, save up money even if they have a college degree .

I’d say if one doesn’t want to go to college the best thing to learn is sale skills . Sky is the limit and companies don’t care if you have a degree if you can sell .

A lot of people make a lot of money selling real estate and cars but also other things .

Old 06-15-2018, 01:29 PM

5,603 posts, read 4,214,284 times
I cannot understand how anyone looks at a minimum wage job and thinks it should support a middle class lifestyle or support raising a family. It is just a silly notion.

A MW job is just the bottom starting point. Anyone who wants to aim for a higher level of success needs to put in some effort. The first place would be to learn something from years of mandatory and free education.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:30 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Example I used was a room but the same room here in L.A would probably be $800 or more

If one is in a lower skilled job anywhere itís not going to be a breeze but my point is itís more doable in Phoenix for example .

You can find places with your own apartment very cheap in parts of the Midwest etc

This is why a lot of younger people are staying at home to establish themselves, save up money even if they have a college degree .

Iíd say if one doesnít want to go to college the best thing to learn is sale skills . Sky is the limit and companies donít care if you have a degree if you can sell .
Sell you make Ę, and the person whom you sell stuff for gets the $$$.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I cannot understand how anyone looks at a minimum wage job and thinks it should support a middle class lifestyle or support raising a family. It is just a silly notion.

A MW job is just the bottom starting point. Anyone who wants to aim for a higher level of success needs to put in some effort. The first place would be to learn something from years of mandatory and free education.
Iíll never forget I saw a lady on the news at one of the fight for $15 hr protests

She said if she could make $15 hour she could afford to support her FIVE kids without welfare ..
This was in L.A ..

Old 06-15-2018, 01:32 PM

15,395 posts, read 8,692,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Ok ill play devils advocate.

When min wage was introduced, it was designed to keep employers from paying chunk change to employees and establish a wage that a person needs for basic living. Basic living includes food and shelter. Now what is consider modest in today standards is a apt with working appliances, no holes in the wall and in a safe area. Due to "supply and demand" Housing rentals and prices remain above min wage reach for decades and nothing has ever been done about it. I get it you want more money for your property, so you will price it above xxx so the next class person can afford it. Min wage was base on single person to live in something safe and secure, not a box on side of the street.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage
But nowhere was it ever mentioned that your "basic living" would be a 1-bedroom apartment, that you live in by yourself. If you can afford that, then certainly rent it. Otherwise, do what many of us did when we made minimum wage: get a larger bedroom place and a couple of roommates.

And you most certainly "don't get" that someone might want more money for their property. That entire sentence is dripping with entitlement.

Why are you only concerning yourself with the renter, and their need for a certain income? That rental property provides income for the owner. And since they OWN it, they can "price it" however they want. Why WOULDN'T they price it to get the most money for it? They don't owe any renter anything.

Last edited by ringwise; 06-15-2018 at 01:44 PM..

Old 06-15-2018, 01:37 PM

4,636 posts, read 1,156,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
First of all you don't need to work 100 hours a week -- get a roommate to share the costs.
Agreed. You also don't need to work a minimal wage job as a career. If you have internet access you can get a college degree.

The world owes you nothing.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Sell you make Ę, and the person whom you sell stuff for gets the $$$.

In real estate for example you pretty much work for yourself .. you have to hang license with a broker but there are flat rate brokers too .

Average house in L.A is $500,000 or more . 3% is $15,000 so even after split if you have a split with broker you make over $10,000 itís competitive of course .. but itís an example of being able to have the potential to make money worth a degree .

The amount of time involved in one transaction usually isnít a ton so ďper hourĒ the pay can be very high .

Old 06-15-2018, 01:40 PM

15,395 posts, read 8,692,941 times
Quote:
Thing is IT IS A ROOM. Not really a true home. Single person with zero life skills but somebody who wants their own space, got to pay the real rental fees, as LL would call it a premium for such thing.

here in austin a 1br apt at min 800 ( thats just to get you in the door then they get you on the back end renewing your lease to jack it up to normal 1200 a month).

so we will go with average rental one bdr apt 600sq is 1200 a month.
So need 3 x your wage to get it. Need so need to make least 3600 a month to get started on the paperwork.

3600/4 weeks=900 ( will go with after taxes)
$900/40= $22.50 ( again go with after taxes) so make it $25 hour to get started.

Unless you work for high end job here in austin, their is not one single company here that will start you out at $25 a hour much less even get you their with out working for them for more than 10 years.

But say you had a room mate/GF/BF

Still divided all this by 2.
3600/2=1,800
1800/4=450
450/40=11.25hr.

You still be cutting it close but that is just for RENT. no other bills are added on. So even if you both made 12hr, you can pay rent, but what about ya car, insurance, utilities.
If you are a single person with zero life skills, you don't deserve your own space. That's life.

If you have a minimum wage job, you can easily find a comparable one in a city far less expensive than Austin. That's reality.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:40 PM

4,683 posts, read 2,308,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Now, I know times have changed, but I started working for minimum wage in 1984. I made $3.35/hour. Granted, I wasn't working full time at that point, but the idea that anyone could live independently on $3.35/hour never crossed my mind. Minimum wage jobs were for teens going through school, not for educated adults. When and at what point did people decide that they should be able to support themselves and possibly a family as well on minimum wage??
Oh, since back in the 30s maybe?

FDR makes the case for the minimum wage:

https://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com...mum-wage/?_r=0

“By living wages, I mean more than a bare subsistence level — I mean the wages of a decent living.” (1933, Statement on National Industrial Recovery Act)

And to make it worse, in 1975 I was making minimum wage ($2 an hour) and supporting myself in a one bedroom apartment. See how things get worse through the years?

Minimum wage is worth $2 less today than it was in 1968:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...n_3461568.html

A minimum-wage worker can't afford a 2-bedroom apartment anywhere in the US:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-...-us/ar-AAyAJxs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or