Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2018, 03:35 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,398,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Ignoring bonus compensation and the fact that I never actually only work 40 hours anymore, I make more than 6 times the minimum wage per hour. My wife makes 3 times.

Our overall compensation including bonus, 401k, and other benefits is probably 14 or 15 times per year what I made 8 years ago making minimum wage with no benefits.

But what does that have to do with the price of rice in China?
I wanted the other participants in this thread to see the fruits of sacrifice. You made a point that it takes sacrifice and delayed gratification to achieve a better standard of living, and I wanted to demonstrate the "what's in it for me?" to show what's possible when you don't spend every penny and invest in yourself.

Thank you for volunteering those figures.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:51 PM

5,901 posts, read 4,395,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I wanted the other participants in this thread to see the fruits of sacrifice. You made a point that it takes sacrifice and delayed gratification to achieve a better standard of living, and I wanted to demonstrate the "what's in it for me?" to show what's possible when you don't spend every penny and invest in yourself.

Thank you for volunteering those figures.

When I was in college, I was interning from 8 to 5. I had class from 6 to 10 four days a week. One day, after class, I stopped at a kfc drive thru and two workers were complaining that this was “bull****” and they were “over” working for the day.

I too was of course “over” this day, but I’m sure while they went home to do “x”, I went home to study before waking up to do it all over again. And for the pleasure, I was in the hole further for the day after paying for the cost of college.

This is the reason why I never take ANYONE serious when they say people who make less are the ones who actually work hard and do the “real” world. Never get me wrong, I respect all labor. But I cannot stand when people do not respect the value of other people’s labor. They actually go beyond that and think they should dictate what other people make and that somehow that share should be taken from you and GIVEN to them for the sake of “fairness”.

As if was somehow an easier path that others took to improve their employability and then go out and compete in a workforce/feild against other people willing to do the same.

Competition ratchets UP the higher you climb. If you think it’s too hard to move up or get recognized at minimum wage, imagine what it’s like when you’re surrounded with elite talent.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
When I was in college, I was interning from 8 to 5. I had class from 6 to 10 four days a week. One day, after class, I stopped at a kfc drive thru and two workers were complaining that this was “bull****” and they were “over” working for the day.

I too was of course “over” this day, but I’m sure while they went home to do “x”, I went home to study before waking up to do it all over again. And for the pleasure, I was in the hole further for the day after paying for the cost of college.

This is the reason why I never take ANYONE serious when they say people who make less are the ones who actually work hard and do the “real” world. Never get me wrong, I respect all labor. But I cannot stand when people do not respect the value of other people’s labor. They actually go beyond that and think they should dictate what other people make and that somehow that share should be taken from you and GIVEN to them for the sake of “fairness”.

As if was somehow an easier path that others took to improve their employability and then go out and compete in a workforce/feild against other people willing to do the same.

Competition ratchets UP the higher you climb. If you think it’s too hard to move up or get recognized at minimum wage, imagine what it’s like when you’re surrounded with elite talent.
I agree.

Having started out at the lower rungs of the ladder, it seemed that all it took to get promoted was to stay put, don't gravely screw up, and you had a fair chance at being offered team lead or supervisor. With a mean agent tenure of 3 months, that was not hard. Stay a year and the opportunities open up.

Today, as a lead engineer, it helps to be an expert in something relevant to the goals of your department. You'll never know everything, but you need to know your resources and know how to connect the dots. I probably don't set a good example having not earned a college degree, but I wouldn't do much differently, given a retry, except for applying for my company sooner to secure more generous retirement benefits before a cutoff date.

In relative terms, my base comp is 5.8 times minimum wage, plus a 10% shift differential for covering the evening shift. I feel more than fairly compensated for what I do. The biggest factor in my advancement was not a gift of luck or abnormal intelligence but daily behaviors from which I did not relent. Each company I worked for, I knew NO ONE on the inside when I applied online. I knew my job, I knew my industry, I knew the language they were looking for.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:53 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,042,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
The point is you should care and you dont.

Why should he, or anyone, care? If you are working for minimum wage you are either a sucker or you have no real marketable job skills, and probably both. Minimum wage is for 14 and 15 year olds, and even then there is some healthy competition in the marketplace for kids who are willing to show up on time ready to work.

The whole point of getting into the workforce in your teens is to develop some very basic job skills about how to show up on time, take orders/direction/instruction, and learn that the person who writes your paycheck is ultimately your boss, and so is anyone appointed as an intermediary (supervisor, foreman, etc.). Essentially at that age you learn how to learn, and you develop an understanding of what employment and work is all about. Heck, some people might even develop a solid work ethic and learn how to bring a healthy attitude to the workplace.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:27 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,388,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That I don't believe she paid for her $200,000 education by waiting tables. I'm just not buying it.
Ok gotcha - no real documentation, just your hunch.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:44 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,352,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/m...174600615.html

Many minimum-wage workers can't even afford a modest one-bedroom apartment, according to the National Low Income Housing Coalition's annual report.
The national housing wage for a modest one-bedroom apartment is $17.90, while the federal minimum wage is $7.25.
A low-income worker earning the federal minimum wage would need 2.5 jobs to afford a one-bedroom apartment.
It's a good thing only 3.3% of workers are paid minimum wage and that's the reason minimum wage jobs are meant to be entry level, for teenagers and first time employees, to gain experience before working their way up.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:32 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,448,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Life is not fair, they told me that in kindergarden so I worked harder than most everybody else to get where I am at. You can afford to live fairly well in the USA's midwest and South not as much in California and NYC on a low salary.
Yet, when rich people and employers have to pay higher taxes and wages, they complain life isn't fair. For some reason, we're willing to cut them a break

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Costco does pay well for retail and offers great benefits but I know someone that has worked there for many years it’s been over 15 years now I believe .. and has a lot of stress from her job . It could be the location though .
In n out pays better than McD’s but the stores are higher volume than McDs it seems and they work really hard too .
Both Costco and In n out are higher volume than Walmart and McDs it seems .

Costco has a different business model than pretty much any store since they make much of their money on the membership fees . They make small profit on the stuff they sell but it’s a volume business of course .
A woman posted her experiences of working at in and out. She actually went back to work there over her state job b/c in and out actually paid more!

Old 06-20-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Yet, when rich people and employers have to pay higher taxes and wages, they complain life isn't fair. For some reason, we're willing to cut them a break

A woman posted her experiences of working at in and out. She actually went back to work there over her state job b/c in and out actually paid more!
Store managers can earn $100k+ at In-n-Out. But, to each, their own.

I know I can make $150k+ working for the city of San Fran but that money would fall short of bringing me the quality of life that half that buys on the middle east coast.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:59 PM

15,240 posts, read 8,845,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
That one made my day. Thanks.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:38 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,289,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/m...174600615.html

Many minimum-wage workers can't even afford a modest one-bedroom apartment, according to the National Low Income Housing Coalition's annual report.
The national housing wage for a modest one-bedroom apartment is $17.90, while the federal minimum wage is $7.25.
A low-income worker earning the federal minimum wage would need 2.5 jobs to afford a one-bedroom apartment.
One reason it's good to be more than a minimum wage worker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics