Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 11:43 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,906,278 times

Advertisements

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/m...174600615.html

Many minimum-wage workers can't even afford a modest one-bedroom apartment, according to the National Low Income Housing Coalition's annual report.
The national housing wage for a modest one-bedroom apartment is $17.90, while the federal minimum wage is $7.25.
A low-income worker earning the federal minimum wage would need 2.5 jobs to afford a one-bedroom apartment.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:51 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,698,013 times
If you work 40 hours minimum wage and were required to make 3 times your income to rent you would only be able to afford an apartment that was $387 a month.

I saw a local news report that said for a 2 bedroom in my area you had to make $18 an hour and in the next county about $23 an hour.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:05 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,726,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
A minimum-wage worker needs 2.5 full-time jobs
to afford a one-bedroom apartment in most of the US .
And your point is... what?

Old 06-15-2018, 12:08 PM

31,341 posts, read 14,180,545 times
First of all you don't need to work 100 hours a week -- get a roommate to share the costs.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Ok ill play devils advocate.

When min wage was introduced, it was designed to keep employers from paying chunk change to employees and establish a wage that a person needs for basic living. Basic living includes food and shelter. Now what is consider modest in today standards is a apt with working appliances, no holes in the wall and in a safe area. Due to "supply and demand" Housing rentals and prices remain above min wage reach for decades and nothing has ever been done about it. I get it you want more money for your property, so you will price it above xxx so the next class person can afford it. Min wage was base on single person to live in something safe and secure, not a box on side of the street.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage

Old 06-15-2018, 12:32 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,391,595 times
Quote:

When min wage was introduced, it was designed to keep employers from paying chunk change to employees and establish a wage that a person needs for basic living. Basic living includes food and shelter. Now what is consider modest in today standards is a apt with working appliances, no holes in the wall and in a safe area. Due to "supply and demand" Housing rentals and prices remain above min wage reach for decades and nothing has ever been done about it. I get it you want more money for your property, so you will price it above xxx so the next class person can afford it. Min wage was base on single person to live in something safe and secure, not a box on side of the street.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage
As another poster said people get roommates or they live with family .
Where did it say minimum wage was created so that single people could live alone without roommates right in the city ?

I’d like to see minimum wage be abolished . I know the pro min wage crowd always screaches
“but then employers will only pay $1 an hour !”

Well if someone only values their time at $1 an hour let them work for that .

In reality nobody would accept $1 hr an hour . Wages should be based on the demand for the labor and value of the labor . Not an arbitrary number like $15 hr like the idiot politicians in CA and elsewhere have decided .

Old 06-15-2018, 12:41 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,698,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The point is you should care and you dont.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:45 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,726,620 times
Quote:
When min wage was introduced, it was designed to keep employers
from paying chu(mp) change to employees ...
To establish a floor wage rate that all workers anywhere could be guaranteed...
regardless of union affiliation or any similar negotiation .

Quote:
...and establish a wage that a person needs for basic living.
Nope. What else do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
The point is you should care and you don't.
Oh. I didn't realize that. Thank's for the heads up.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:48 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,391,595 times
People need to find a place that is affordable for their income level or gain skills or so something to increase income .

Politicians here in L.A are constantly talking about affordable housing but the best thing is to move where it’s affordable . I wouldn’t wait around for a politician to build me a subsidized housing unit . It’s like winning a lotto to get those units and always will be .

Too many people wanting to live in these areas .

There are affordable places but then people say “I would never live there “ well that’s a choice .

Since the beginning of time people have moved where there is better opportunity .

A one bedroom apartment in L.A or NYC and many other cities is a luxury to live in as a single person .
This Is why so many people are renting rooms , living with roommates or sugar Mammas or sugar daddies .

There are places you can get housing cost down to $300 a month or maybe less but they aren’t called New York City or Los Angeles or San Francisco

Old 06-15-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
As another poster said people get roommates or they live with family .
Where did it say minimum wage was created so that single people could live alone without roommates right in the city ?

I’d like to see minimum wage be abolished . I know the pro min wage crowd always screaches
“but then employers will only pay $1 an hour !”

Well if someone only values their time at $1 an hour let them work for that .

In reality nobody would accept $1 hr an hour . Wages should be based on the demand for the labor and value of the labor . Not an arbitrary number like $15 hr like the idiot politicians in CA and elsewhere have decided .
Didnt one person try living with family and got kicked out and taken to court? Times has changed since it was introduce and honestly needs to be freshen to todays standards of living. If they kill the min wage laws, you will see a huge, HUGE drop in unemployment and huge jump in profits in the already monopolies companies we have now. You can profit so much then you got to invest it in your people, because sitting on 12 billion a year after all your bills are paid doesnt do anything to the economy. If every major fortune 500 company would cut the CEO/COO salary in half, they would have enough money to pay each of their employers a dollar more per hour and not hurt their bottom line. Heck, could even give them a 2$ increase and not sweat it with the shareholders. Why is they vote and always approve increase in their(CEO.COO,directors) salary, but will sht on those that need it the most ( employees)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.