Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 12:50 PM

14,310 posts, read 11,702,283 times

Advertisements

Now, I know times have changed, but I started working for minimum wage in 1984. I made $3.35/hour. Granted, I wasn't working full time at that point, but the idea that anyone could live independently on $3.35/hour never crossed my mind. Minimum wage jobs were for teens going through school, not for educated adults. When and at what point did people decide that they should be able to support themselves and possibly a family as well on minimum wage??

Old 06-15-2018, 12:54 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Now, I know times have changed, but I started working for minimum wage in 1984. I made $3.35/hour. Granted, I wasn't working full time at that point, but the idea that anyone could live independently on $3.35/hour never crossed my mind. Minimum wage jobs were for teens going through school, not for educated adults. When and at what point did people decide that they should be able to support themselves and possibly a family as well on minimum wage??
Because many jobs paid $6 an hour back them. Now many jobs pay $7.25 to adults because we are a service society where huge corporations are paying as little as they can so the CEOs can make $100 million or more a year. So $6 to start in 1984 is like $15 to start today and that's not happening.

So you dont know the times they are a changing and in many places a man can't even get a minimum wage job.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:56 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
People need to find a place that is affordable for their income level or gain skills or so something to increase income .

Politicians here in L.A are constantly talking about affordable housing but the best thing is to move where it’s affordable . I wouldn’t wait around for a politician to build me a subsidized housing unit . It’s like winning a lotto to get those units and always will be .

Too many people wanting to live in these areas .

There are affordable places but then people say “I would never live there “ well that’s a choice .

Since the beginning of time people have moved where there is better opportunity .

A one bedroom apartment in L.A or NYC and many other cities is a luxury to live in as a single person .
This Is why so many people are renting rooms , living with roommates or sugar Mammas or sugar daddies .

There are places you can get housing cost down to $300 a month or maybe less but they aren’t called New York City or Los Angeles or San Francisco
That is the issue we have now.

You cant find any housing other the public housing that is base on income to live in. Dont get me start on that issue, as nearly half of those living in them CAN WORK but refuse to work when we the tax payers are footing the bill.

But to the point.. Housing in cities has more win wage workers then middle class workers doesn't exist. Heck even you was making 15$ hour still be SOL for housing. Not many places in the country pay employees above $20hr unless your in a very high demand skill set, and then you might get a one bed room apt.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:57 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
You’re talking about billion dollar companies , most small businesses are mom and pop places just trying to get by . Take a look at some small businesses for sale .
For every big multinational there are thousands of small businesses .

Think about it who does $15 hr min wage hurt ? The multinational fast food place who can invest in robots and automation ? And has locations overseas ?

Or the mom and pop place that can’t afford all that ?

But then the pro crowd says they don’t care if those small businesses can’t afford to pay $15 or $20 an hour or whatever the activists demand .

The margins on businessss are much much smaller than people think . These places are lucky to keep 10 cents of every dollar that comes in after all actual expenses .

Old 06-15-2018, 12:59 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
You’re talking about billion dollar companies , most small businesses are mom and pop places just trying to get by . Take a look at some small businesses for sale .
For every big multinational there are thousands of small businesses .

Think about it who does $15 hr min wage hurt ? The multinational fast food place who can invest in robots and automation ? And has locations overseas ?

But then the pro crowd says they don’t care if those small businesses can’t afford to pay $15 or $20 an hour or whatever the activists demand .

The margins on businessss are much much smaller than people think . These places are lucky to keep 10 cents of every dollar that comes in after all actual expenses .
there should be rules about small mom and pop places or depending on how many employees you have in total and they have a $7.25 rate and the mega companies have to pay more, and people decide where they want to work.

I do think it needs to go up but $15 at once is too high and seniors on a fixed income will be hurt if rents go up to make up for the higher wages.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:05 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:

Having run small business for 40 years, I'd take that 10 percent....plus the other benefits.

Example, our ma and pa shop did about 1.4M in 1994. So, I'd get 140K plus:
Health Care
LOTS of auto expenses, etc.
Life Insurance
Health Insurance
Matching IRA
Good payments into SS and Medicare (for later....)
and other advantages of having a business.....

My business was typical main street small town. We paid out employees at least 2X the going "bottom end" rate for retail employees plus lots of benefits.

Everyone was happy.

BTW, just as a foundation, I made $5 an hour in TN. (lower wage state) as a simple laborer in 1974. At the time it was not enough for use to save money, buy a house, etc.

Using CPI, that is $27 an hour today.

And now you and others are saying that $12 or $15 or even $20 an hour is not affordable?? Sure it is. Easily.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
That is the issue we have now.

You cant find any housing other the public housing that is base on income to live in. Dont get me start on that issue, as nearly half of those living in them CAN WORK but refuse to work when we the tax payers are footing the bill.

But to the point.. Housing in cities has more win wage workers then middle class workers doesn't exist. Heck even you was making 15$ hour still be SOL for housing. Not many places in the country pay employees above $20hr unless your in a very high demand skill set, and then you might get a one bed room apt.
Yeah we need the change the system . People need to be encouraged to work rather than living at taxpayers expense . The middle class has been disappearing in these bigger cities like L.A.... they are moving to states like Arizona and Texas where it’s more affordable .

The local politicians don’t even mention the middle class anymore .

You can find rooms for rent in Phoenix for $350 month
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/searc...labilityMode=0

A big growing city with a good economy

Min wage looks to be $8 hr but you’ll see places are offering more than that if you look at job listings there

Working full time someone can’t afford a $350 month room ?

All the Lower end service industry jobs seem be offering starting wages at $10.50 hr ..so even though they can legally pay less they aren’t because they know they won’t get applicants

https://www.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=rest...5c_AKnSmWk_754

I imagine it doesn’t take too much experience to get hired as a manager at these places and wage goes up significantly and doesn’t require a college degree .

Old 06-15-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
there should be rules about small mom and pop places or depending on how many employees you have in total and they have a $7.25 rate and the mega companies have to pay more, and people decide where they want to work.

I do think it needs to go up but $15 at once is too high and seniors on a fixed income will be hurt if rents go up to make up for the higher wages.

Problem is rentals are not suppose to be tied to wages, its the owner that makes it tied to wages so they can max their pocket books. Thus pushing the lower income person out and back to square one again. Rinse and repeat each for each wage increase in the area.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Problem is rentals are not suppose to be tied to wages, its the owner that makes it tied to wages so they can max their pocket books. Thus pushing the lower income person out and back to square one again. Rinse and repeat each for each wage increase in the area.
Rents are based on demand for the area .

The owner can’t force someone to rent their apartment . If people refuse to pay the price rents come down . There is a low supply of rentals in L.A for example and an increasing number of people ( demand ) that are willing and able to rent an apartment so rents have been going up over the years .

A lot of people are willing to give half their income to a landlord in CA for the privilege of living in CA. Some call it the “sunshine tax “

Old 06-15-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah we need the change the system . People need to be encouraged to work rather than living at taxpayers expense . The middle class has been disappearing in these bigger cities like L.A.... they are moving to states like Arizona and Texas where it’s more affordable .

The local politicians don’t even mention the middle class anymore .

You can find rooms for rent in Phoenix for $350 month
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/searc...labilityMode=0

A big growing city with a good economy

Min wage looks to be $8 hr but you’ll see places are offering more than that if you look at job listings there

Working full time someone can’t afford a $350 month room ?

All the Lower end service industry jobs seem be offering starting wages at $10.50 hr ..so even though they can legally pay less they aren’t because they know they won’t get applicants

https://www.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=rest...5c_AKnSmWk_754

I imagine it doesn’t take too much experience to get hired as a manager at these places and wage goes up significantly and doesn’t require a college degree .
Thing is IT IS A ROOM. Not really a true home. Single person with zero life skills but somebody who wants their own space, got to pay the real rental fees, as LL would call it a premium for such thing.

here in austin a 1br apt at min 800 ( thats just to get you in the door then they get you on the back end renewing your lease to jack it up to normal 1200 a month).

so we will go with average rental one bdr apt 600sq is 1200 a month.
So need 3 x your wage to get it. Need so need to make least 3600 a month to get started on the paperwork.

3600/4 weeks=900 ( will go with after taxes)
$900/40= $22.50 ( again go with after taxes) so make it $25 hour to get started.

Unless you work for high end job here in austin, their is not one single company here that will start you out at $25 a hour much less even get you their with out working for them for more than 10 years.

But say you had a room mate/GF/BF

Still divided all this by 2.
3600/2=1,800
1800/4=450
450/40=11.25hr.

You still be cutting it close but that is just for RENT. no other bills are added on. So even if you both made 12hr, you can pay rent, but what about ya car, insurance, utilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics