Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2018, 03:11 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,554,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
As the other poster said, if you believe all rich people are greedy, you will never have financial security in life. You're emotionally programmed for poverty or just getting by. And you're not interested in changing it. So you will go through life like our former CD poster fremkt, going through his whole life complaining about how everyone else is holding him down, but never asking how a reasonably intelligent person like himself could go for decades being in the bottom 5% of wage earners.
lol on another thread I asked the poster if he was fremkt.
Hitpause2 started showing up about when fremkt disappeared.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:20 PM

172 posts, read 107,795 times
Perhaps these people should get roommates. Minimum wage was never a means to afford a 2 bedroom apartment.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:31 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,554,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
I am far from being lazy and entitled. I be the first one in the mornings at work and last one to leave to turn out the lights. I earn my way around this world by WORKING, unlike some other people whom are self entitle people because they was born with a silver spoon. "O look i have money, lets go show these minions how the rich live and shove it in their face, and I didnt have to pick up a shovel"

You can put the most richy rich kids on a island and a minion off the streets, and see who survives. The minion kids will always come out on top because they know what and how it takes to survive this world, unlike richy rich here just thinks throwing money at everything will solve the problem by not doing it him/her self. Here we are busting our a$$ off for pennies on the dollar, mean while the CEO is getting 100mill in bonous for not hiring or raising salaries. ( take a look at the auto industry for this mentallity)
First one out and last one to leave? That tells me you are doing things wrong. You seem to equate time = max reward.
You probably never heard of learning to work smarter?
You already know your lot in life if you continue your belief system, there's nothing that is going to change for you unless you change yourself which you are too stubborn to do

Funny, your comparison of minions vs filthy rich kids on an island.
The bottom line is that is a scenario that doesn't exist, so why waste brain cells on it? Maybe it makes you feel better about yourself about how superior you are to rich kids. You are still in your crappy situation, right?
Who cares what the rich kids do. You should be caring about what you do for yourself and your family.
Stop spending so much time on the internet complaining about how unfair life is and use the time to better yourself or work a 2nd job.
Another lesson you will never learn . . . rich people use their money to hire others to make them more money, that is how they get filthy rich. Why do a job yourself that you can pay someone else to do while you go out and find more money making deals? If I hire someone to work on my rental and it costs me $1,000 for their time, but I use that time to find the next real estate deal that makes me $30K, then it makes sense not to do that job myself. You on the other hand have the mindset that the rich person should get their hands dirty like you would. That is why you are not rich and never will be.
You claim you want to spend time with the family instead of taking a 2nd job. With all the posting you do here shouldn't you instead spend time with them instead?
Five years down the road when you have fallen farther behind financially how does that help your family? I think you are using the family as an excuse to not go out and work harder.
It's your life and it's a free country. Some people will work harder and look to grow and others will not. Those that work harder and smarter deserve what they earn. Those that sit back deserve their lot in life as well.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:36 PM

20,094 posts, read 8,995,406 times
the harder you work, the luckier you get.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:37 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:
So what you're saying is, I need to act rich in order to get rich? Isn't that what most people do anyways, and we call them fakers.
Um, no. Not at all. It sounds like you don't even know the basics of wealth building and the mindset that goes into it.

There are different levels of rich. Only a small percentage of rich people can live a flashy lifestyle and actually still be rich. Lots of other people "acting rich" may or may not have high incomes, but wouldn't have much if they lost their jobs. Lots of rich people (maybe you'd consider them 'only' financially comfortable, depending on your definition of rich) are invisible. They typically have above average, but nowhere near 1%-er type incomes. They live pretty modest middle class lifestyles--and they save/invest the difference.

It's very possible to get rich--or at least be financially comfortable--on a middling income. But you have to want to. Along the way, you'll have to give up the victim mentality and all the emotional payoffs that go aloneg with it--and you'll need to believe something else is possible. Then you have to take action. By the way, I know this stuff is possible, because I've been steadily building financial security for the last 21 years on an average/below average income for my area.

Mr. Money Mustache or Dave Ramsey offer the basics on this stuff:

Getting Rich: from Zero to Hero in One Blog Post

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 06-16-2018 at 03:48 PM..

Old 06-16-2018, 03:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COJeff View Post
Perhaps these people should get roommates. Minimum wage was never a means to afford a 2 bedroom apartment.
Right on.

When I was in college, I worked at the mall. It wasn't minimum wage but it wasn't far from it. I worked about 30 hours a week, because I had to go to school too. I had no benefits, and I had to pay half my costs of the local college, as well as my living expenses.

So I had two roommates, who were in about the same situation I was in. And hey, it worked! I mean, sometimes we had only crackers in the cabinets and nothing but a piece of cold pizza in the fridge, but we somehow managed to go out every weekend. Imagine that.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:49 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
Quote:
I am far from being lazy and entitled. I be the first one in the mornings at work and last one to leave to turn out the lights. I earn my way around this world by WORKING, unlike some other people whom are self entitle people because they was born with a silver spoon. "O look i have money, lets go show these minions how the rich live and shove it in their face, and I didnt have to pick up a shovel"

You can put the most richy rich kids on a island and a minion off the streets, and see who survives. The minion kids will always come out on top because they know what and how it takes to survive this world, unlike richy rich here just thinks throwing money at everything will solve the problem by not doing it him/her self.
Many rich kids I know got their career through their parents. They never had to interview for a job or write a resume in their life. They are more likely get support and training they need on the job to be successful, and promoted; while temps and contract workers are simply chewed up and spit out by the corporation. The rich kids will give themselves all the credit for being successful, but in reality, they were propped up by their rich families.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:50 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,471,538 times
If it hasn't been stated already...............why does a person making minimum wage deserve their own 1 bedroom apartment..........did Bernie Sanders start this thread?

Old 06-16-2018, 03:50 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
A guy looked at a Mercedes Benz the other day and said in a disapproving tone, “I wonder how many people could have been fed for the cost of that car?”

I replied, “I’m not sure. It fed a lot of families who built it. It fed the people who made the tires. It fed the people who made the components. It fed the people who mined the copper. It fed the people who made the trucks that hauled the copper ore. It fed someone who helped sell the car.”.
And what we don't realize is there was probably a lot of slave labor and child labor from overseas involved in the production of many things we use on a day to day basis.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:53 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:
Correct, but go back to the FDR statement. At the time it was consider a living cost. Few posts back..
The FDR statement was so vague that people can project anything they want onto it. People in 1935 generally had much different expectations (read: "lower") of what a decent life was then people do today. It was very much the norm in 1935 for people to live in shared housing and people generally has much less personal living space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.