Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2018, 12:24 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,313,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Wow, I finally see where you are coming from.

The reason you won't work hard to get a better life and a house is because you know that down the road you are going to be given money for nothing from your parents.

Why work now when you know you have a payday down the line without lifting a finger. Then you get to become one of those rich kids who did nothing to earn their wealth-you know, the ones you put down all the time.
Yep , very hypocritical .

Old 06-22-2018, 12:26 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,313,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Don't let it get to you. Remember all these self made millionaires who never made a bad decision in their life are still just anonymous internet posters, they might be the real deal or they might live in a single wide trailer in West Virginia living off a $750 month SSI check, so take it all with a grain of salt. The truly successful people I've met don't have the time or inclination to brag about it on internet forums or chat rooms.
Why put down those living in a single wide trailer in West Virginia ?

I have more respect for them versus someone living in L.A or another high cost place that wants the government to take care of them with “affordable housing”

Or come to L.A to “live the dream “ and then become druggies living on the streets .

I guess the West Virginia person is a “deplorable “ right ?

Old 06-22-2018, 01:54 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,323,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I agree.

I think everyone should be able to afford to live in Beverly Hills and drive a Porsche.

No one has a right to move to Beverly Hills if they cannot afford it.

People who already live there should not have to move just because people with more money moved in.

First movers should have an advantage.

Think of it as the Proposition 13 principle.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We have lots of 500sq foot condos here, but they go for around 400K.

If you want one built, buy some land and build your small house.

Buy your land, work and pay it off, and then when you can afford to build, proceed with Stage 2.

Zoning FAIL.

I want to buy a 2,500 sf piece of land and build a 400-sf house.

Minimum lot size zoning precludes 2,500-sf lots.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
There is no "should" here. People get to do what they can afford. And if a person making minimum wage cant afford to live on their own, that's OK. They get to live with multiple people. Or under a bridge.

No fair when government artificially restricts the supply of housing for the benefit of incumbent homeowners.

And, no, they don't always get to live with multiple people due to "maximum unrelated occupancy" zoning. i.e. government artificially restricting the supply of housing for the benefit of incumbent homeowners.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
This thread has ended up a classic example of reductio ad absurdum focusing on people who earn $7.25 an hour and ignoring the subject of the thread - that you need to make 2.5 times minimum wage to rent an apartment; in most parts of the US that is $18-25 an hour. That's as much as an experienced bookkeeper, a dental assistant or a roofer are paid. And yes of course they can rent a room, unless they happen to be married and have children, and if they do they need gma to live close by or be able to cough up $1,000-$1,500 a month for childcare.

And of course they should have been brilliant like all the CD posters and not have had children until they made their first million but once you have a kid, it's real hard to undo, it's not like returning a sweater that you decided you can't afford.

I would love to have a rational discussion about what happens to the people I described here...what's the solution? Clearly they can't all move to rural Missouri so that they can rent an apartment for $600 there are few jobs there anyway. Should the government subsidize housing for working families? Should builders be required to provide a number of units set aside for lower income working families? Should HUD provide vouchers for other than the very poor?

Or we can keep sharing rags to riches stories and wagging our collective finger at people who work for minimum wage /sigh

I think number crunchers should calculate the cost per household of government housing regulations, and compensate renters accordingly for government-inflated housing costs.

Currently, government housing regulations are welcomed by the homeowner majority, while costing government nothing. If government had to compensate renters for the costs imposed by regulation, there would be fewer regulations.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
It's not the landlord's responsibility to price housing so that a minimum wage worker can afford the housing.

It's government's responsibility to allow the free market to produce the greatest supply of housing.

Government fails because it answers to homeowners who rig supply in their favor.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:26 AM

2,371 posts, read 2,318,876 times
-Get a roommate or a studio in a lower COL area instead of a 1br.
-Don't live beyond your means.
-Aim for something above minimum wage.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:50 AM

2,371 posts, read 2,318,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
John is making $10 per hour. All he wants is a studio apartment, utilities, food, and a bus pass. Bare bones existence compared to your $100 per hour job. He is willing to work hard(harder than your desk job BTW) for 50 hours a week. But he can't get a job that will pay enough for that bare bones existence. What is John's motivation to go to work every day? He can't support himself. He can't continue his education. He has no way to get a better job. He has no hope for the future. So he quits and lives in his parent's basement. He opts out because he can't live on what he makes and he no longer sees working as a way out of poverty.

Jane is John's long term GF. Jane makes $10 per hour and lives at home because she has no choice. They always had a dream to be able to marry and live together one day but they can't afford it. One day Jane discovers she is pregnant. Don't judge...it's the only entertainment they have. Their first thought is to get married but they quickly do the math and realize they can't afford a 2br apartment, diapers, formula, medical for the baby, food, utilities, and transportation. But they really want a family. So here's their only option.

Jane becomes John's roommate and moves into the basement. She applies for welfare, SNAP, and medicaid. John starts doing odd jobs for cash around the neighborhood. They are poor but their basic needs are met. Most of their food comes from the foodbank and they use their cash and SNAP to take care of the baby. They can't marry because Jane and the baby would lose their benefits.
Wear a condom. A job's pay rate isn't to blame for that reckless decision.

Depending on where they're located $10/hr FT plus OT pay for John, plus $10/hr for Jane can get them by. They can live together in a 1BR, especially if they just need the essentials. Vegas, San Antonio, Ohio, Indy, would be good examples. I understand using gov't programs as a stepping stone to get ahead but not to stay on permanently.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:14 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,315,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Not always the excuse of poor choices, more like wasnt born lucky.

We all ask our self when we see somebody else showing off their millions and wonder "WTF did i go wrong"
I don't ever ask myself that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics