Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2018, 06:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Saying you posted something is not proof. FDR passed the min wage law and he himself said that it was meant to be a living wage so whoever works it now is irrelevant that kind of stuff changes all the time. That's like saying I buy a chair and use it for storing items on it. That I am using it as a storage space does not change that it was originally created to be sat on. Who do you think are working these jobs during the day when people are at school or late at night most likely not students.

I posted the links to the information several times. Plus it's easy to find online anyway. What's your point? Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:40 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Why put down those living in a single wide trailer in West Virginia ?

I have more respect for them versus someone living in L.A or another high cost place that wants the government to take care of them with “affordable housing”

Or come to L.A to “live the dream “ and then become druggies living on the streets .

I guess the West Virginia person is a “deplorable “ right ?
Agree with you 1000%.

I guess she hasn't met many people who choose to live in single wides. It's a perfectly fine affordable housing option, great for young families, singles and retired folks. The ones I know have good jobs, are saving money, have beautiful views and can afford newer cars. They may never move, they're not complaining.

It's just so funny, that in a thread about how low income people can't find affordable housing, that she mocks the very people that have acquired affordable housing by buying a single wide in a beautiful part of America.

Last edited by KaraG; 06-22-2018 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: a

Old 06-22-2018, 07:45 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Keep in mind, that high COL metro areas need low wage service workers, probably more than anywhere else. It's not possible for all low skilled, low wage workers to move to a cheaper place and live in a trailer.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:54 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Agree with you 1000%.

I guess she hasn't met many people who choose to live in single wides. It's a perfectly fine affordable housing option, great for young families, singles and retired folks. The ones I know have good jobs, are saving money, have beautiful views and can afford newer cars. They may never move, they're not complaining.

It's just so funny, that in a thread about how low income people can't find affordable housing, that she mocks the very people that have acquired affordable housing by buying a single wide in a beautiful part of
America.
Yeah it’s ironic . Guess I just have a lot more respect for someone that chooses an affordable place to live versus thinking they can live the California Dreaming lifestyle but they want the tax payers to support them. Or they believe they are entitled to camp out in run down RVs on the street because they can’t afford rent or don’t want to pay rent and they are able bodied but don’t want to work .

Old 06-22-2018, 08:03 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Keep in mind, that high COL metro areas need low wage service workers, probably more than anywhere else. It's not possible for all low skilled, low wage workers to move to a cheaper place and live in a trailer.
Yet places don’t seem to have a lack of service workers applying to jobs in high COL metro areas .

Businesses are actually finding it harder to attract those that are more educated and skilled .
Always going to be people willing to work the lower paid jobs and in L.A a lot of them live at home with family or with several roommates.

These “high performers” are going to expect to be able to afford a certain lifestyle and more likely to have kids . They’ll want a home in a decent area with decent schools which comes at a very high costs in L.A .

According to a new report from the University of Southern California and the Los Angeles Business Council, exorbitant housing costs in Los Angeles, the second most populous city in the US, are inhibiting employers from attracting "high-performers," or top talent, to their companies.

California companies struggle to hire top talent amid housing crisis - Business Insider

Old 06-22-2018, 08:07 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Why put down those living in a single wide trailer in West Virginia ?
I have more respect for them versus someone living in L.A or another high cost place that wants the government to take care of them with “affordable housing”
Or come to L.A to “live the dream “ and then become druggies living on the streets .
I guess the West Virginia person is a “deplorable “ right ?
That's bizarre. I never put down anyone living in a single wide trailer, I lived in one after I first got married. Go back and read the post and miss me with the fake outrage.

I was talking about all of the perfect people who brag about their perfect lives and their perfect choices all the while wagging their finger at those who have had a tough time or have made bad choices but are trying to do better. I simply mentioned that since this is an anonymous internet forum they might be poor as dirt and they are just making this crap up to make themselves feel better about their miserable life, why else would they spend hours telling us how perfect they are?

Get it now?

Old 06-22-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Agree with you 1000%.
It's just so funny, that in a thread about how low income people can't find affordable housing, that she mocks the very people that have acquired affordable housing by buying a single wide in a beautiful part of America.
Please go back and read my post. For the record, I used to live in a single wide trailer, a pretty crappy one too. I see nothing wrong with it. I was talking about how some of the people in these forums who constantly brag about being rich and wag their finger at people who are struggling might just be poor as dirt and are just doing a little online role playing to make themselves feel better about their miserable life, after all this is an anonymous internet forum.

jm decided to twist my comment into some bizarre claim that I hate people who live in trailers

Old 06-22-2018, 08:18 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I hate greed. I hate entitlement. The rich are the ultimate entitled ones.
Actually, the entitled, greedy ones are those demanding that the rich give up their property to those that haven't earned it.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Yeah it’s ironic . Guess I just have a lot more respect for someone that chooses an affordable place to live versus thinking they can live the California Dreaming lifestyle but they want the tax payers to support them. Or they believe they are entitled to camp out in run down RVs on the street because they can’t afford rent or don’t want to pay rent and they are able bodied but don’t want to work .
The irony is that you took a sentence out of context from my post and intentionally misrepresented what I was talking about.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:23 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
No I love people who add value to society. That would be construction workers who are building roads bridges, and buildings, doctors and nurses who are taking care of people's health, teachers who are educating people. Not a bunch of lazy do nothing bums who sit at their computers all day buying and selling stocks. Those people contribute nothing to society. If they disappeared tomorrow, they would not be missed. On the other hand if all the workers disappeared tomorrow, the 1%ers would be screwed.
They aren't do-nothings. Those stocks they buy and sell allow my retired mother to put a roof over her head, food on her table, and gas in her car. If they disappeared tomorrow, all the sacrifices she made while she was working, in order to invest as much as she could for her retirement, would be gone.

You must have missed the lesson in school explaining that you can work hard, or you can work smart. They're not lazy, just smart. And contribute just as much as the other examples you've given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics