U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 01:57 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,710,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
When the person actually answers the phone, you get an answer immediately. But people will ignore e-mails.
most people have celfones and landlines now. the landline gets the unwanted calls/spams and the celfone are for those you know personally.

for me and my wife, the only thing we do with our landline is to delete messages. and most of the time, we delete messages thru an app in our celfone

so the only phone that gets answered immediately is your work phone and your celfone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 02:53 PM

8,380 posts, read 7,369,618 times
Phone sales, and other fringe type sales mediums are declining.

However professional sales people will always be with us. I am speaking as a professional salesman who never drew a salary since I got out of the Navy in August 1954. By the time I was out of the navy for 1 year, I was drawing in today's dollars more than $ 125,000 to $150,000 in commissions selling furniture in a furniture store.

At one time in the furniture sales career, I worked for one of the best department stores in the nation. The furniture, major appliance, carpet and electronics departments paid a commission to attract top people. I have seen where I had sales to one customer, where I made more money on commission and spiffs (bonus money for selling certain items paid by the manufacturer), in one sale than the clerks in other non commission department made in for an entire years work.

After a few years, I went into sales at the corporate level, and worked up to division sales manager over western half of country for a very old corporation, and leader in their field.

I left that in 1972, after taking university classes and some private classes, on real estate and investment management for one year so I could really know the real estate business, especially from the investment side. I spent the rest of my working years, as an investment real estate broker.

I only sold 6 homes for personal residences helping friends, but I have sold as many a 14 houses in one day to investors over a 1 1/2 hours selling them on the telephone. In included a 13 unit to be built subdivision, and one home at a special price as it needed sold that day to avoid foreclosure. One man bought 5 and no one bought less than 2 homes. I had the record for the county, for the most homes sold in one day by any agent/broker. I did some development, and had homes and commercial properties built for my clients. I worked more like a stock broker buying, selling, and exchanging real estate for the same clients over and over building their investment portfolios. My investors included oil executives in places like Arab countries, and Malaysia. I handled some transactions that were in several states, and as far away as Costa Rica, and Belize.

There will always be professional salespeople, but certain things such as phone sales, etc., which I detest have been going. Door to door sales in the home, have already gone away in most areas as with both husband and wife working, no one is home to sell to.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:09 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,316,997 times
The marketing and sales of a product will never go away. Every product out there needs to be marketed and sold whether it's a home, car, insurance, furniture, bank products, clothes, etc., etc. Sales will never go away as it's almost impossible. The only things that might change is HOW they will be marketed, but there will always be a sales person involved some how!

Old 06-20-2018, 03:45 PM

1,461 posts, read 332,233 times
There are all sorts of sales.

Retail sales, inbound sales, outbound sales, inside sales, outside sales, B2C, B2B...

The sales would still occur, though you might see a shift of B2C to B2B, as those transactions often take more than one "touch" to close. Face-to-face such as retail and outside sales would see less of an impact than contact center / inside sales.

Retail models are steadily transitioning to self-service models, so I'd be wary of banking on a future in retail, unless you see an extremely strong business model (Apple store, service franchise, high margin essential services).

You have to be willing to "find something you love, BUT is still viable". Many people aren't willing to address the latter, and sink.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:18 PM

6,486 posts, read 2,353,576 times
I think telemarketing has declined over the years, due to the "do not call" lists. But it's been replaced by more and more businesses sending people door knocking to sell. This is even more irritating than the phone calls. Putting up no soliciting signs doesn't help.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:48 PM

26,876 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC White Collar View Post
Today I reflected on being a sales professional in the age of Text Messages and Snapchat, and came to the following realizations (perhaps suppositions):

1: People are less likely to buy from seeing words on a screen

2: Videos/visuals can help, but many people lack the patience to watch a video - several minutes in length - when a phone conversation allows for a greater sharing of ideas. Simply put, a phone conversation is more "two sided" than reading text messages and watching videos

3: The more that society views talking on the phone as a nuisance (at best) or something that they don't want to do at all (at worst), the less likely a sales transaction will take place.

4: If the sales profession declines, our consumer-based economy will suffer. Automation may only lead to robots selling/clerking to other robots.

Please let me know if I'm far off base here - I can take the heat/criticism.

I must admit that - as a 25+ year sales professional, I've never seen less options for products to sell nor a more depressed atmosphere/mood where nobody cares to even listen to the ideas of another person when it comes to products.

It's worse in 2018 than even at the height of the Great Recession 2008-2010.

Maybe I should go back to school and learn Coding?
I don't think that is the case at all. Yes, for the "simple" sale, there will be fewer sales people. But complex sales still need sales people and people to help guid them through the selling process.

I have worked at or consulted for a lot of tech companies. They all have sales teams. And the sales people still use the phone, as well as things like web meetings. But complex sales are still done mainly in person.

The difference is, buyers no longer use sales people as information gatekeepers. The information is easily available, but there is always space for a consultative sales person.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:19 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,769,309 times
Telephone sales will decline!

But sales in general is the act of persuading people that (1) they want a widget or service in category "X" and (2) the widget or service I am selling is better, cheaper, etc. than the widget or service somebody else is selling. These activities go back thousands of years and aren't going anywhere.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:19 AM

95 posts, read 39,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't think that is the case at all. Yes, for the "simple" sale, there will be fewer sales people. But complex sales still need sales people and people to help guid them through the selling process.

I have worked at or consulted for a lot of tech companies. They all have sales teams. And the sales people still use the phone, as well as things like web meetings. But complex sales are still done mainly in person.

The difference is, buyers no longer use sales people as information gatekeepers. The information is easily available, but there is always space for a consultative sales person.
What kinds of skillsets or classes should I take if I'd like to merge into technical sales?

My career thus far has been primarily in services (insurance, real estate, finance, advertising) - and when I look at the class options for technical trades/skills in my local community college catalog, I must say that it's mostly Greek to me.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:21 AM

95 posts, read 39,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Telephone sales will decline!

But sales in general is the act of persuading people that (1) they want a widget or service in category "X" and (2) the widget or service I am selling is better, cheaper, etc. than the widget or service somebody else is selling. These activities go back thousands of years and aren't going anywhere.
Another concern is that Car/House vending machines (such as Carvana) will subvert the salesperson entirely, leaving thousands (if not tens of thousands/hundreds of thousands) of 2018 sales professionals completely unemployed by 2023.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:48 AM

9,109 posts, read 3,927,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
We have a land line, before you can talk to us you have to pass the "caller ID" test. If we don't know you, we don't pick up.

We are doing more and more shopping online.
I got rid of my landline years ago and just have an iPhone but I also don't answer it if I don't recognize the number or the caller. Been getting a lot of spoofing calls lately where they duplicate the first 3 digits of my cell phone to make me think it is someone I know. I must have 100 numbers blocked and I'm on the do not call list which has been no help. I hate, hate, hate sales calls on my phone and junk in my mailbox. I used to donate to the organizations that sent me address labels, greeting cards, etc. but I stopped that also because as soon as you give to one the junk mail increases 10x.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or