Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 02:57 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,497,918 times

Advertisements

Use of telephone has NOTHING to do with sales.

I buy things on line all the time. I have Amazon prime, order things on line ALL the time. Free shipping.
Soon enough is going to be food from Amazon (Whole Foods). My local grocery has online delivery. To my door. Which is great because I can do other things with the time saved. Also this might be beneficial for elderly who cant drive etc...

Alexa is already keeping my shopping list and she is right there in the kitchen with me. Say I'm cooking and I see i'm law in canola oil. I say "Alexa put canola oil on my shopping list." She does. I could also say "Alexa order all the items on my shopping list". Done!

Based on how well amazon is doing and how many brick and mortar stores are closing their doors I'd say online sales are very popular.

So nothing to do with the phone. That's in old days, the days when Elizabeth Warren;s mother saved their family's fortune by taking a job with working in a department store by taking phone orders from people who ordered from a catalog. I don't even think these jobs exist anymore. And I really hope the catalog don't exist either (save a tree).

All you need to do is have a younger relative give you a bit of technology update.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM

117 posts, read 127,411 times
nothing personal but there were a few moments in that description that gave a cringe-y feeling.

YMMV, but talking to an order-taking robot like that doesn't sound like an activity I'd like to take part in.

I have a brand preference and a price floor for cooking oils - and even if Alexa were to be able to record/adhere to these preferences, I'd rather compare items on the store's shelves rather than have them delivered to me.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:19 PM

13,629 posts, read 12,250,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC White Collar View Post
great points made JONOV.

it's natural that someone like myself who started high school in 1989 would be drawn to the sales profession, for a decent living doing something I enjoy doing (talking to others and sharing ideas).

The "Car Vending Machines" (Carvana) I can see as being a huge disruptor, possibly putting tens of thousands of living wage earning Car Salespersons out of work.
They won't. How is it materially different than CarMax or ebay any one price store? Sure, they have supercool "showrooms." Big woop, so does the BMW dealer in my old town. Enough money is on the line that consumers will take a screenshot of their Carvana price and walk down the road to Jonov's Ford Dealership and say, "What can you do?" Carvana only sells used cars...I (might) buy a new car without driving it. But a used car? No way Jose. You have to sit in them, smell them, DRIVE them...

The thing is, that in sales you need to be cognizant if you're selling something that's easily turned into a commodity, or polishing deck chairs on the titanic.

Quote:
its almost as if - in the absence of margins - the sales profession becomes unnecessary and can't add to a company's bottom line.
In the absence of differentiation, not margins.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:35 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,497,918 times
Quote:
nothing personal but there were a few moments in that description that gave a cringe-y feeling.

YMMV, but talking to an order-taking robot like that doesn't sound like an activity I'd like to take part in.

I have a brand preference and a price floor for cooking oils - and even if Alexa were to be able to record/adhere to these preferences, I'd rather compare items on the store's shelves rather than have them delivered to me.
Well, for me Alexa is still valuable even if I shop in the store because I glance at the phone at Alexa app/shopping list and i make sure I get everything on that list. Alexa can play music for me while i cook, can wake me up at a certain time, can do timers (for boiling an egg for example), can turn on and off the lights in specific rooms, can open/close the garage, can turn up and down the thermostat.

Besides, even if I dont use Alexa for shopping, I can still place an order on my grocery store's website (looking at brand and prices) and just go pick it up. I am a very busy person and this saves me tremendous time.

But I bought things online, from garage openers to tires and everything else you can think of. I also think that it's good now that on most websites the items have reviews form real customers and it happened to me many times to buy or not buy an item based on reviews. Videos also help (for example when buying clothes or purses and you want to see how it looks like on a human being). Videos are very short and informative.

Before online shopping was the shopping channel. Your argument can be made against it too. Who has time to watch it? There are people who do.

And yes, the sale profession evolves. There's customer service and always you can place an order online via chat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics