U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 05:27 PM

5,761 posts, read 3,041,090 times

Advertisements

Servers at top restraunts, who are good servers, will probably not like this because it will probably lead to less tipping. If they are already paid at a full rate, and prices go up, then the cost of tips would go up as well. Which will lead to a backlash against tipping.

And good servers can get tipped very well. For my daughter's graduation, there were seven of us in the party. The tip for the waiter (we spent a little over an hour) for just our table was greater than an hour's pay for me. Now I'm not begrudging the waiter. He did an excellent job and deserved the tip. But I will certainly be eating out less if I'm having to pay more to start with, and tip, and then the tip is itself higher because I'm paying for the higher wages. I just can't afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 05:35 PM

4,592 posts, read 1,145,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The actually competent waiters and bartenders prefer tips.
Tipping is rarely based on competency and more about if the employee is attractive, welcome to America.
Quote:
Studies by Michael Lynn, the Cornell professor and tipping expert, have shown that waitresses with larger breasts, smaller body sizes and blond hair tend to earn more tips than waitresses without such attributes. A separate study by Lynn found that white servers are tipped more than black servers for the same quality service and regardless of the race of the customer.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...n_5991796.html

Old 06-20-2018, 05:41 PM

4,554 posts, read 2,024,076 times
I think it is an individual decision. I will continue to show my appreciation to good servers, regardless of their salary.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:15 PM

4,342 posts, read 2,611,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I read about that - odd that it passed anyhow. I wonder if a second referendum will be called for to reverse it.

In any case, I get the sinking feeling that restaurant owners will use this opportunity to jack up prices to the sky - as if eating out isn't expensive enough already.

Well, at least I know how to cook. I'd better get used to not eating out now, and put the savings toward something else, like traveling to other countries where prices are a bit more reasonable...lol.
I've been eating out less when the "norm" went from 15% to 20%. I guess it's like the "raise the MW" argument argument people here use so much... if MW goes up, then they'll just hire less workers. Here, when we were "expected" to pay 20% for the same level of services just years ago, I ate out at these places less, opting for counter service, and cooking at home more. Am thankful that pushed the change!

And your typical business owner will find ANY excuse to jack up prices. If they can't blame it on higher worker wages, they'll just pick something else... higher gas prices, more expensive produce, the economy in general, or perhaps even politics!

Old 06-20-2018, 06:18 PM

4,342 posts, read 2,611,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Tipping is rarely based on competency and more about if the employee is attractive, welcome to America.
Another point is in many industries where there is no tipping (MW at big box stores, FF, office jobs, professionals, blue collar, etc.), people still work just as hard out of pride and professionalism. This whole thing about abolishing tips and all waiters will spit in your food, or not care anymore doesn't seem to hold much water.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:33 PM

10,382 posts, read 2,816,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
There's probably a lot of truth to that. Way back in the late 80s, I worked for a bit as a waitress at a trendy nightclub. I was not unattractive by any means, but I did seem to be the token brunette (with short hair, to boot), and I did notice that the stereotypical tall, tan, blond beach bunny types made more money. I doubt it's quite as pronounced at a restaurant, but pretty waitresses and hunky bartenders were part of this place's "image." I didn't stay long. No one should have to hustle cocktails in high heels for eight hours at a stretch. It was a fun club to go dancing at, hell to work at.

As to the original question, I suspect many people will still tip, particularly at more up-market establishments, but it may become a practice more directly related to the quality of the service, and less of a knee-jerk reaction.

Overall, I would like to see servers less dependent on tips, primarily because it takes just as much work to serve a cheap meal as an expensive one, yet the tip always depends on the cost of the meal, and not how much the server had to work to get it to the table and keep the customer happy.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:58 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,769,309 times
With a zero tip you should stay home. $15 an hour is not a living wage in Washington and good servers already make $30 or more. Your business will not be welcome. People who want something for nothing usually get nothing.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:01 AM

1,829 posts, read 1,572,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
I think it is an individual decision. I will continue to show my appreciation to good servers, regardless of their salary.
This right here.

Where I live, minimum wage is $14 an hour for all workers (including traditionally-tipped workers), rising to $15 next year. I've mentioned this before, but my Friendly Neighborhood Bartender greets me, brings me up-to-date on the score in the game, discusses the news of the day, laughs at my jokes, and makes pleasant chit-chat about anything and everything with all who are sitting at the bar. Because I'm there so often, I have no doubt he'd care if I left a tip, but I always do, because he's more than just somebody who gets my beer. Most other places I go to, where I don't know the servers or bartenders, the service is still nice and attentive; and as a result, I (and many others) are happy to leave something extra, usually in the range of 15-20%.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:44 AM

4,680 posts, read 2,302,044 times
Yes, TIP! The reason is because servers have to declare a certain percentage of their tips as income when they do their taxes. When I was a server, I declared 8%, whether or not my tips were actually 8% of my salary. If you don't tip, then that $15 an hour means nothing, because servers will still have to file as though they're being tipped and if they aren't, then the tip amount they have to declare will come out of the hourly wages they've earned and could bring them down to well below $15 an hour.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:33 AM

20,424 posts, read 26,555,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post

Overall, I would like to see servers less dependent on tips, primarily because it takes just as much work to serve a cheap meal as an expensive one, yet the tip always depends on the cost of the meal, and not how much the server had to work to get it to the table and keep the customer happy.
Working in fine dining requires a whole different skill set than working in an inexpensive diner. The amount of actual physical labor is probably pretty equal; you're right about that, but almost anyone can put down a plate of food and pour coffee, but it takes knowledge and skill to create an upscale/gourmet dining experience.

$15 an hour isn't a living wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or