U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 04:28 AM

3,484 posts, read 1,990,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Likely, there will still be tips, but I'd imagine that the percentage will be lower. I might tip 10% instead of the usual 20% I tip now.
This.

In upstate N.Y. the tipped worker minimum is now $7.50/hr. The rest of the minimum wage earners are at $10.40. Heck fast food workers get $11.75 ( no tips).
I earn $10.75 ( big whoop, I'm NOT "AT MINIMUM", but REALLY what does $0.35 /hr do for me???)

I used to tip 20%. Now it's only 10%.

Let's say a server turns two tables an hour, checks of $30 per party of two. That's $60. She could earn $6.00 @10% tip. That $6.00 + her $7.50 means she could earn $13.50. Why should I, at $10.75/hr pay her more than I earn? I work with the (Some times rotten) public too.

Though I have to pay a doctor or lawyer more than my $10.75 / hr, but they spent years in college to "earn it".

What schooling does a waitperson go to? I have a year and a half total of college, and probably have more education than she does, unless she's working her way through college, but then she doesnt yet have a degree, mow does she? Nor do I .
Most wait staff around here who are the permenant fixtures are career waitpersin gals and, occasionally guys.

So I now only tip 10%. Instead of 20%.unless she gave great service! Last night on a $32 tab, I left $6.00 for her usual great service over the course...about 20%. We wNted eclairs,from the bakery, only 5 left, they have a 6 pk deal, so we wanted those 5 eclairs, plus a big cinnamon bun. Because she scarfed and boxed them for us right away, we got them before they were gone. That garnered her the 20%. 3.75 +6.00= 9.75 she earned on us.

And really the prices of dinners have not gone up that much, maybe a whole dollar per entree.

But it's ultimately up to to each Individual, the areal COL, and the service they give.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 07:29 AM

10,647 posts, read 3,324,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
This.

In upstate N.Y. the tipped worker minimum is now $7.50/hr. The rest of the minimum wage earners are at $10.40. Heck fast food workers get $11.75 ( no tips).
I earn $10.75 ( big whoop, I'm NOT "AT MINIMUM", but REALLY what does $0.35 /hr do for me???)

I used to tip 20%. Now it's only 10%.

Let's say a server turns two tables an hour, checks of $30 per party of two. That's $60. She could earn $6.00 @10% tip. That $6.00 + her $7.50 means she could earn $13.50. Why should I, at $10.75/hr pay her more than I earn? I work with the (Some times rotten) public too.

Though I have to pay a doctor or lawyer more than my $10.75 / hr, but they spent years in college to "earn it".

What schooling does a waitperson go to? I have a year and a half total of college, and probably have more education than she does, unless she's working her way through college, but then she doesnt yet have a degree, mow does she? Nor do I .
Most wait staff around here who are the permenant fixtures are career waitpersin gals and, occasionally guys.

So I now only tip 10%. Instead of 20%.unless she gave great service! Last night on a $32 tab, I left $6.00 for her usual great service over the course...about 20%. We wNted eclairs,from the bakery, only 5 left, they have a 6 pk deal, so we wanted those 5 eclairs, plus a big cinnamon bun. Because she scarfed and boxed them for us right away, we got them before they were gone. That garnered her the 20%. 3.75 +6.00= 9.75 she earned on us.

And really the prices of dinners have not gone up that much, maybe a whole dollar per entree.

But it's ultimately up to to each Individual, the areal COL, and the service they give.

I think the difference is that YOU could be a waiter/waitress too and make more than you are right now. I bet you would work a whole lot harder too!

Again, I've never been a waitress, but my mother has her entire life. She has bad feet, a bad back and carpel tunnel from it too as it is a very demanding physical job. I don't think people realize how physically demanding it is! Not to mention, dealing with rude people and sometimes very crappy pay. There are days that yes she can make a ton of money and other days where she makes crap. At the end of the day it all averages out to her making about $38k a year for working 45-50 hours a week. So when you look at what she makes versus the hours worked it's not that great. Especially in the Chicago area. Now I'm sure there are waiters/waitresses that make more if they work for an upscale restaurant, but the majority of waiters/waitresses do not. And what about the ones that work at Denny's or Steak N' Shake, they are really making crap.

At any rate, I think most waitstaff would rather take the tips as most decent people will give a good tip based on good service and a bad tip based on the same. However, I think there will be a major shortage of wait staff if they cut out tips all together. Or what you'll find is the only people who will take these types of jobs would be entry level workers, college students, minorities or immigrants, etc. AND THE SERVICE WILL BE HOERRIBLE and companies will have a hard time staffing. And in all reality, I'm sure the industry overall will never raise a waitstaffs pay to $15hr! It wouldn't make sense for the business!! What makes sense, is for restaurant owners to pay the staff crap and let patrons tip. It won't change.

There are many professions that expect tips for service and the workers rely greatly on those tips to make their living. People who say they won't tip based on what the waitstaff makes hourly is absurd IMHO! That should have no bearing on what you tip. I understand those who are saying that they will cut the tip if prices go up, but at the same rate that still has nothing to do with the service you are receiving.

Again, ask yourself....Could you do that job? I know I couldn't and honestly don't want to!

Old 06-21-2018, 08:13 AM
Status: "If you like healthcare, you'd better vote Democrat" (set 22 days ago)

181 posts, read 74,995 times
Some good points made above.

However, the bottom line is that I only have "X" dollars to spend, and if the cost of eating out goes up, I eat out less. I suspect that is true of most people. Perhaps table service will soon go back to the days of yore, when it was a special treat / reserved for the very rich.

Counter service and home cooking for the rest of us - not a bad solution to this thorny problem. Economics at work.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:33 AM

7,036 posts, read 5,210,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
With a zero tip you should stay home. $15 an hour is not a living wage in Washington and good servers already make $30 or more. Your business will not be welcome. People who want something for nothing usually get nothing.
My feelings are that it shouldn't have anything to do with the wage.

It is simply our custom in this country, that for personal services a tip is expected. That includes wait staff at a restaurant, a masseuse, a tattoo artist, a caddy, a gas pump attendant, a shoe shine man, or a bellman.

If you can't afford it, or don't like it, don't partake.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:50 AM

22,745 posts, read 28,597,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
My feelings are that it shouldn't have anything to do with the wage.

It is simply our custom in this country, that for personal services a tip is expected. That includes wait staff at a restaurant, a masseuse, a tattoo artist, a caddy, a gas pump attendant, a shoe shine man, or a bellman.

If you can't afford it, or don't like it, don't partake.
it is expected because it is considered a part of their wage. if they are paid a wage that covers the full cost of their labor, then i dont see why tipping would be involved.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:11 AM

786 posts, read 324,067 times
Wait staff in European countries get paid their minimum wage. It’s customary to round up to the nearest Euro for meals that are 10€ or so. For nicer restaurants, people typically tip about 5%. Some people there don’t tip at all. I’d imagine it’d be the same here if waiters made a living wage or at least close to one.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:45 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,827,177 times
Hey, 2025 is far away. Why worry about tipping that far away?

Many things can happen until then: we have the elections in Nov (fingers crossed we get rid of those crooks and move toward passing that 15$ minimum wage law). Glaciers might be melted by then. Polar bears might be extinct. Bees might be extinct, God forbid, because in this last case humanity has only 4 years to live.

We might have nuclear war the way things are going now.

We might be all dead by then, who knows.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:57 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,004,172 times
I only tip at bars, restaurants, pizza deliveries, and gentlemen establishments.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:04 AM

822 posts, read 277,135 times
High wage for tipped workers in DC - tipping or no?-rolling-floor-laughing-animated-gif-14.gif
Can you IMAGINE what would happen in south Florida with a law like this?

Old 06-21-2018, 10:05 AM

4,347 posts, read 2,616,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
With a zero tip you should stay home. $15 an hour is not a living wage in Washington and good servers already make $30 or more. Your business will not be welcome. People who want something for nothing usually get nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
At any rate, I think most waitstaff would rather take the tips as most decent people will give a good tip based on good service and a bad tip based on the same. However, I think there will be a major shortage of wait staff if they cut out tips all together. Or what you'll find is the only people who will take these types of jobs would be entry level workers, college students, minorities or immigrants, etc. AND THE SERVICE WILL BE HOERRIBLE and companies will have a hard time staffing. And in all reality, I'm sure the industry overall will never raise a waitstaffs pay to $15hr! It wouldn't make sense for the business!! What makes sense, is for restaurant owners to pay the staff crap and let patrons tip. It won't change.
There are servers who don't get enough tips anyways, so they're STILL screwed.

For years, I also hear stories where they get stiffed enough that their take home pay for the day is rather abysmal. I forgot to ask if they were compensated by management about this (as I've heard they're supposed to be compensated enough to make up to MW), but given how some bosses are, I'm not so sure

If you get stiffed, you have no legal recourse otherwise. Some people are cheap. Others are foreigners who have no concept of tipping. You can spit in their food or whatever, but that's a health hazard that'll likely get you fined if you get caught (no court is going to accept "but he stiffed me on my tip!" as a valid defense). Some people don't go back to a restaurant again anyways for you to "take revenge".

It's a mess.

Quote:
I think the difference is that YOU could be a waiter/waitress too and make more than you are right now. I bet you would work a whole lot harder too!

Again, I've never been a waitress, but my mother has her entire life. She has bad feet, a bad back and carpel tunnel from it too as it is a very demanding physical job. I don't think people realize how physically demanding it is! Not to mention, dealing with rude people and sometimes very crappy pay. There are days that yes she can make a ton of money and other days where she makes crap. At the end of the day it all averages out to her making about $38k a year for working 45-50 hours a week. So when you look at what she makes versus the hours worked it's not that great. Especially in the Chicago area. Now I'm sure there are waiters/waitresses that make more if they work for an upscale restaurant, but the majority of waiters/waitresses do not. And what about the ones that work at Denny's or Steak N' Shake, they are really making crap.
According to the C-D community, this is irrelevant. To me, MW workers are some of the hardest and friendliest workers out there. Yet, they will always be looked down upon. I found it was a lot easier doing work in front of a computer in Microsoft Office, but I still got paid 4x more for that than when I worked at Kmart. "Hard work" as you and I call it is not the same thing as what everyone else calls it.

Quote:
Again, ask yourself....Could you do that job? I know I couldn't and honestly don't want to!
According to some of us, this is irrelevant. After all, employers pay based on what is required
http://www.city-data.com/forum/52260948-post492.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or