U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2018, 07:35 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,765,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Therefore, it appears to me that Kentucky and Ohio are superior to Washington in offering opportunities for people to affordably eat out. I don't understand why these states have negative reputations?
Because in Kentucky and southern Ohio, $35,000 is a fat paycheck. In Seattle a lot of tech workers make $200,000 and they are not the boss.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 07:36 PM

579 posts, read 1,105,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Here in Seattle the minimum wage is $15 but people still tip the same as before. That $15 is not a "living" wage here, and is probably not in DC either. Yes, it will cost more to eat out, the restaurants have to make a profit so will pass on the additional labor cost. In some cases we see slower service due to layoffs to make that cost savings.
Quote:
Therefore, it appears to me that Kentucky and Ohio are superior to Washington in offering opportunities for people to affordably eat out. I don't understand why these states have negative reputations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Because in Kentucky and southern Ohio, $35,000 is a fat paycheck. In Seattle a lot of tech workers make $200,000 and they are not the boss.
If you write, "In Seattle a lot of tech workers make $200,000 and they are not the boss," then why can't I get one of these tech jobs, when these tech jobs are so abundant and I have earned advanced education credentials?

Old 06-26-2018, 12:48 AM

4,342 posts, read 2,608,470 times
Quote:
One of the reasons why I rarely eat out is that the prices at restaurants in the Seattle area is so high. I am old enough to remember when you could get a decent meal in a restaurant for around $10, which is now impossible to do.

I did travel to the greater Cincinnati area for a geocaching congregation in late May, and one of the participants picked me up at the airport in northern Kentucky along with two other people in her SUV. We did stop to eat at a restaurant, and I noted that the prices on the menu appeared to be significantly lower than in the Seattle area. I also ate a restaurant in Ohio, just north of Cincinnati, and I didn't pay as much. Both restaurants were parts of large regional chains that don't have establishments in the Puget Sound region.

IIRC, for Kentucky, they lowered taxes where the state's broke. They have infrastructure and programs that require more funding, but they decided to go with trickledown economics. The state's public school system used to be great, but they've taken quite a dive, being reduced to 4 days of classes a week.

Ohio... it's a swing state, so I'm sure it's had some controversies [shrug]

Old 06-26-2018, 05:35 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,765,469 times
Quote:
If you write, "In Seattle a lot of tech workers make $200,000 and they are not the boss," then why can't I get one of these tech jobs, when these tech jobs are so abundant and I have earned advanced education credentials?
I don't know you, so i don't know why you don't have one of those jobs. As to why you can't get one, maybe you can and just haven't tried, if you are a tech worker in the right specialty and with 5-10 years of experience. Nobody starts out at $200K but they can get there fast if they're really good - I know several people who have, and a handful who make a multiple of that (you know the big Seattle houses that cost $1 million and more - somebody owns them).

Old 06-26-2018, 08:44 PM

20,950 posts, read 15,267,317 times
2025 is totally different math. What matters is what they make today.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:41 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
One thing is 100% for certain. If restaurant prices go up, AND I'm required to tip, I will NOT eat out.
I've already cut back as the cost of eating out has just skyrocketed when you add tax and 15% tip. If I go out I also try to find deals. If prices go up further I will just stop eating out totally and cook at home. Even groceries have increased in price drastically so I try to find deals where I can now whereas in the past I did not bother so much.

The only thing that has not gone up are my wages, got one 3% raise in the last 3 years and they told me it's because I was an "exceptional employee", LMFAO! ridiculous!

Old 06-27-2018, 02:59 PM

6,964 posts, read 5,183,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
My feelings are that it shouldn't have anything to do with the wage.

It is simply our custom in this country, that for personal services a tip is expected. That includes wait staff at a restaurant, a masseuse, a tattoo artist, a caddy, a gas pump attendant, a shoe shine man, or a bellman.

If you can't afford it, or don't like it, don't partake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it is expected because it is considered a part of their wage. if they are paid a wage that covers the full cost of their labor, then i dont see why tipping would be involved.
Incorrect. Tip is from TIP which is an acronym for "To Insure Promptness." Originally it was given at the beginning of the meal.

Massage Therapists often earn tips, and they earn a relatively high hourly wage.

It is a spiff based on service. If I get really crappy service there will be little or no tip. If I get good service I leave a decent tip. Excellent service, more tip. And I make sure that I focus on the servers performance, not whether or not the chili was too spicy or the cook was any good.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:44 PM

3,079 posts, read 2,549,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
The issue there is that the disparity in pay continues to grow.

If a Steak Dinner in those places is $12, and the host makes minimum wage ($8) and the bussers make minmum wage ($8) and the server makes serving wage ($4 + 12 an hour in tips) that's that.

Meanwhile in an expensive place like Seattle where the food is twice the cost. The host is making $15, the bussers are making $15 and the server is making $9.47 + 24 an hour, which is well more than double the other staff.

The further you exacerbate the costs, only the server ends up making more.
That's a problem with this fixed system.
Are you assuming the servers keep 100% of the tip?

Old 06-28-2018, 12:53 PM

12,671 posts, read 9,420,097 times
I had dinner a couple days ago at a restaurant, and I saw that the bill included an extra line item charge of 3.5% for "Affordable Care Act".

I did not stiff the server, but I did tell a manager I would not come back because of the extra 3.5% he stuck me with.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:08 PM

4,342 posts, read 2,608,470 times
Quote:
Incorrect. Tip is from TIP which is an acronym for "To Insure Promptness." Originally it was given at the beginning of the meal.
You're thinking of a "TEP". Specifically, the word "Ensure"....
make certain that (something) shall occur or be the case

Insure means to issue an insurance policy

Quote:
It is a spiff based on service. If I get really crappy service there will be little or no tip. If I get good service I leave a decent tip. Excellent service, more tip. And I make sure that I focus on the servers performance, not whether or not the chili was too spicy or the cook was any good.
Problem is, "crappy" service is too subjective. They aren't aware that when things are busy and/or the venue is understaffed, then of course your food's going to show up later than sooner.

Plus, some people are jerks that just won't tip. Legally, you can NOT go after them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I had dinner a couple days ago at a restaurant, and I saw that the bill included an extra line item charge of 3.5% for "Affordable Care Act".

I did not stiff the server, but I did tell a manager I would not come back because of the extra 3.5% he stuck me with.
Some folks got upset that delivery charges were introduced from places that deliver, like pizza joints. Folks got even more pissed when they were made aware that in some cases, none of the delivery charges went to the delivery people, and they STILL wanted customers to tip them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or