U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 11:09 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,397,420 times

Advertisements

I just always tip everyone really good regardless of what they make. I like to think of it as good karma and part of the cost of going out. If I'm at the point where I have to stress about a $5-$20-$40+ tip I'm just going to stay home, not stiff my servant for the night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 09:18 AM

3,447 posts, read 3,516,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Are you assuming the servers keep 100% of the tip?
It depends.

I've worked in restaurants and know they do not.

I've also worked in restaurants where illegal tip pooling was common forced practice- tipping out non-tipped employees like hosts, crew chiefs, and food expos.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:57 AM

12,685 posts, read 9,432,561 times
In Las Vegas, waiters and waitresses at high end restaurants earn about $150K to $180K per year in tips.

Blackjack dealers at places such as Wynn, Venetian & Bellagio earn about $100K in tips.

Valets used to earn about $75K per year in cash tips until very recently when valet parking became a paid extra rather than a "free" amenity. Then the strip went to paid valet parking, and recognizing this would cut into the parking valet's tip income, valets got large increases in base pay.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:52 PM

1,952 posts, read 657,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I see that they've passed the initiative to raise the wages of tipped workers to the standard minimum wage of $15 an hour by 2025. The burning question I have is thus: Does this mean I need to no longer tip in DC restaurants? I don't live in DC, but other states are considering such measures as well, and it's only a matter of time before this goes nationwide.

If tipped workers are making a "living wage," there's no need to tip them extra, correct? Or if they do insist on being tipped, does that mean restaurant prices won't go any higher? What are people supposed to do in the interim, when wages are going up, but have not reached the $15 level? Tip 10-15% at first and then down to 5% as wages approach the $15 level?

One thing is 100% for certain. If restaurant prices go up, AND I'm required to tip, I will NOT eat out. Ever. I refuse to pay twice. I sure hope restaurant owners know this. I'm perfectly content to eat my own cooking for the rest of my days if this "double charging" comes to past.

How do others feel about this?
1) $15 an hour is not a living wage in D.C.
2) Minimum wage is not meant to be a living wage
3) $15 is nothing in DC and a rise in minimum wage is long overdue. I will continue to tip generously.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:50 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,769,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I just always tip everyone really good regardless of what they make. I like to think of it as good karma and part of the cost of going out. If I'm at the point where I have to stress about a $5-$20-$40+ tip I'm just going to stay home, not stiff my servant for the night.
Gee, no kidding. ($40 means you're eating $200 dinners...you're doing well.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or