U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM
 
1,455 posts, read 747,291 times
Reputation: 392

Advertisements

SkyDog77 & MathJak107, do you two intend to only consider and respond to posts that are entirely in agreement with your opinions? Otherwise, it’s unreasonable not to expect others may disagree with what you consider as certainly logical and correct arguments.

In response to your posts #69 & 70,
refer to: https://itchyfish.com/phrase-origins...f-the-kitchen/ .

Respectfully, Supposn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
7,448 posts, read 6,938,937 times
Reputation: 8159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
SkyDog77, your assumption of what you believe is my premise, Is not quite correct.

Whenever USA experienced an annual trade deficit, had we imported less, we could have had the same GDP with lesser spending and greater savings, or had a greater GDP if we purchased less imports and more domestic products.
I am not an isolationist or opposed to global trade. Respectfully, Supposn
No. You can’t just import less in a vacuum without other impacts on the economy. I tried to walk you through the model in my previous post, but I don’t think I did an adequate job explaining this to you. It’s not simple stuff. You really need to take an economics class. Start with Khan Academy. Learn about the IS/LM Model. I’m not going to argue with you anymore because you don’t grasp the concepts necessary to have an intelligent discussion on this subject.


In the Y = C+I+G+NX equation, you don’t just get to add to NX without other effects. As I explained, your tariff will either subtract from NX due to currency fluctuations, or subtract from Y because of economic inefficiency caused by the tariff. It will also create uncertainty and subtract from I.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
SkyDog77 & MathJak107, do you two intend to only consider and respond to posts that are entirely in agreement with your opinions? Otherwise, it’s unreasonable not to expect others may disagree with what you consider as certainly logical and correct arguments.

In response to your posts #69 & 70,
refer to: https://itchyfish.com/phrase-origins...f-the-kitchen/ .

Respectfully, Supposn
You have provided no economic argument to counter what I posted. Take an economics class. You don’t understand what you are talking about.

I know it’s tempting to latch on to a theory you read about on the internet, but you really should study the entire subject at a college level if you are interested in it.

Last edited by SkyDog77; Yesterday at 09:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM
 
1,455 posts, read 747,291 times
Reputation: 392
SkyDog77, the topic of this thread is “A trade deficit indicates the nation consumed more than it produced”. Import Certificates are a proposed remedy to USA’s chronic annual trade deficits of goods. There’s no point to discussing Import Certificate policy within this thread where some are arguing USA’s chronic annual trade deficits have not been or will be net detrimental to our economy.

You consider Import Certificate policy as only another species of tariffs? I won’t quibble regarding your point. But due to differences between Import Certificates and all other international trade policies, both the consequences and/or extents of consequences between import certificate and those other trade policies, (including tariff policies), substantially differ.

I’ll defend the concepts of Import certificates against all other existing or proposed USA policies for our international trade within the thread “Comparisons between tariffs and Import Certificate policy”. But your inability to recognize the differences between import Certificates and all other policies for international trade, will not impel me to defend any other but Import certificate policies.

Respectfully, Supposn

Last edited by Supposn; Yesterday at 10:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
7,448 posts, read 6,938,937 times
Reputation: 8159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
, both the consequences and/or extents of consequences between import certificate and those other trade policies, (including tariff policies), substantially differ.
In terms of their effect on both the movement of the IS Curve and Long Range Aggregate Supply, how do they differ? Why do they not impact these the same way other tariffs do? What properties do they have that offset the impacts other tariffs have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:27 AM
 
1,455 posts, read 747,291 times
Reputation: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
In terms of their effect on both the movement of the IS Curve and Long Range Aggregate Supply, how do they differ? Why do they not impact these the same way other tariffs do? What properties do they have that offset the impacts other tariffs have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
SkyDog77, the topic of this thread is “A trade deficit indicates the nation consumed more than it produced”. Import Certificates are a proposed remedy to USA’s chronic annual trade deficits of goods. There’s no point to discussing Import Certificate policy within this thread where some are arguing USA’s chronic annual trade deficits have not been or will be net detrimental to our economy.

You consider Import Certificate policy as only another species of tariffs? I won’t quibble regarding your point. But due to differences between Import Certificates and all other international trade policies, both the consequences and/or extents of consequences between import certificate and those other trade policies, (including tariff policies), substantially differ.

I’ll defend the concepts of Import certificates against all other existing or proposed USA policies for our international trade within the thread “Comparisons between tariffs and Import Certificate policy”. But your inability to recognize the differences between import Certificates and all other policies for international trade, will not impel me to defend any other but Import certificate policies.
Respectfully, Supposn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
7,448 posts, read 6,938,937 times
Reputation: 8159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
Respectfully, Supposn
In other words, you don’t know. Got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:59 AM
 
1,455 posts, read 747,291 times
Reputation: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
In other words, you don’t know. Got it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
SkyDog77, apparently, neither one us knows what you’re referring to. ...
Respectfully, Supposn

Last edited by Supposn; Today at 12:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top