U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 04:08 PM

4,720 posts, read 2,255,657 times

Advertisements

It's not just a USA thing.

In many countries it's a lot more common to have many shops selling the same type of thing on the same street. So you might be in Vietnam and find a street where almost every store sells safes, or Taiwan and a street lined with mirror sellers, or Ecuador and a street is all plastic kitchen utensils. These folks almost always will direct you to another store a few doors down that has what you want, if they don't have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 04:35 PM

2,249 posts, read 1,745,861 times
The first time I heard of this was as a child watching, "Miracle on 34th Street" when Santa at Macy's sent a customer to Gimbel's to get something Macy's did not carry.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:15 PM

7,093 posts, read 2,210,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Might be a silly question but I've only been to a few different countries and never had this issue to begin with. But I wanted to know is referring potential customers to another business that services their full needs a U.S. thing? For instance, say someone wants their car tinted and exterior colored but that particular auto shop doesn't do both so the owner kindly refers them to another auto shop in the city that does. Even at the detriment of their own income.

This happened so often growing up, I never thought about it until I saw it happen again today and was incredulous at the integrity and honor displayed. The owner could have easily played dumb or aggressively coerced them just to get that sale. The customer was dead set on having both done due to time constraints. They even said they were sorry they couldn't do both and still referred them over.

People who give referrals to other businesses, will often get referrals back from them. They all get to perform work for which they are better suited and all make more money.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:54 PM

4,672 posts, read 8,096,043 times
In Canada (Quebec and British Columbia) I've always been directed to do this at every retail business I've worked at.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:14 AM

11,045 posts, read 11,455,634 times
I just had an electrical contractor refer me to another one, because they were too busy to get to it in a reasonable amount of time. Auto shops typically refer people to specialties. Take your automatic transmission to a transmission shop, your brake job to a brake and wheel shop, etc.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:38 AM

2,582 posts, read 684,246 times
It’s like that movie miracle on 34th street we’re a Macy’s department store Santa referred a woman customer to another store who had the toy her son wanted for Christmas and that was back in 1947. So nothing new about referring people to the competition.

Old 06-23-2018, 05:38 AM

26,847 posts, read 57,851,863 times
Quote:
Might be a silly question but I've only been to a few different countries and never had this issue to begin with. But I wanted to know is referring potential customers to another business that services their full needs a U.S. thing? For instance, say someone wants their car tinted and exterior colored but that particular auto shop doesn't do both so the owner kindly refers them to another auto shop in the city that does. Even at the detriment of their own income.

This happened so often growing up, I never thought about it until I saw it happen again today and was incredulous at the integrity and honor displayed. The owner could have easily played dumb or aggressively coerced them just to get that sale. The customer was dead set on having both done due to time constraints. They even said they were sorry they couldn't do both and still referred them over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKfBUUhFueI

Old 06-23-2018, 07:50 AM

15,574 posts, read 9,650,106 times
Quote:

I do it every day of the week. A customer will come in looking for something, and if we are out of it, and he needs it immediately, I call the competitor down the street for him to see if he has it. Or, if it is something we have never carried, I don't just give him/her a blank stare, we get on the computer and I try to find a place where they can buy it.

Very often, a customer will shake my hand and say "You really went out of your way for me, thank you"!, and that makes my day. It is the way I would want to be treated, if I were the customer.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:48 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,040,361 times
We recently sold our business in NYC but when we did have it, I'd refer customers to other companies if I thought it was in the customers best interest. Mostly it was because they needed a job done in addition to one that was out of our expertise and I was looking to save them some time/money, or they'd be out of our area so we'd have to charge more or we were too busy at the time so I'd suggest a company that was closer or could come faster. Many a time they chose to wait for us though.
People always complimented us on our honesty and integrity so 99% of our new customers were referrals from other satisfied customers. Word of mouth advertising is a powerful tool. We rarely got a cold call from our phone book or online advertising.
We never received any kickbacks from the companies we referred and I preferred it that way. I felt any company I referred was going to reflect on our business so I tried to refer companies where I personally knew the owners and their work. If I wasn't familiar with the company or it's owner I'd call that company first and make sure they knew that our 35 year business reputation was on the line by referring them and then I'd call the customer to make sure they were satisfied with the company I referred them to.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:56 AM

23,903 posts, read 31,130,282 times
Quote:

I don't get why that would just be a "U.S. thing". If you can't perform the desired service, and you know who could, it seems logical to inform the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or