U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 10:37 AM

22,699 posts, read 28,590,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And those are typically tiny homogeneous nation-States that have little to no impact in the geo-political world, nor could they ever have any impact.
does that matter? i am not a nation state, i am an individual.

people seem to care about the glory of their nation and how their military can kill everyone while in the meantime many people living in smaller nations with limited geo political impact are living very happy lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 10:57 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,393,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

people seem to care about the glory of their nation and how their military can kill everyone while in the meantime many people living in smaller nations with limited geo political impact are living very happy lives.
Because of the military umbrella put in place by other countries. And by other countries, I mean the United States.

They too would be concerned about having a strong military to defend that high quality of life if they didn’t have security guaranteed by the U.S post ww2.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:49 PM

2,710 posts, read 2,987,428 times
Quote:
The future warfare is more dependent on space and satellites. Military planners are more concerned about navigation, communication and spy satellites. But what about financial transactions? Those can be sabotaged during war time. If bank transactions, credit cards can not go through, economy will collapse in hours. Thatís worse than nukes.
Really? Worse than a life which is filled with cancer, no hair, no food, radiation burns, children and grandchildren with 3 legs and 5 arms due to mutations? Although in a financial crisis there would be poverty and life would be set back decades it would be better than nukes, and a nuclear winter surely?

Space IS the next war zone I agree but I think everyone rich enough who has access to spaceships will evacuate Earth and leave. The sightings of super-modern spacecraft of triangle design suggests we might already have a space fleet and an alternative space industry so it is not too wild a speculation.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:38 PM

18,035 posts, read 13,255,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

Only in the short-term.

Euro-States have $TRILLIONs in unfunded liabilities coming due starting in 2020 and continuing through 2050. For the UK, these unfunded liabilities only represent 75% of their GDP, but in the case of Italy -- and Italy is the worst case scenario -- it is 350% of GDP. Regardless whether it's 75% or 350%, it's unsustainable.

France has already take some actions. The pension base has been slashed from 50% to 37.5%, the retirement age has been increased from 65 years to 67 years, and the French now have to work 42 years to be eligible (and 43 years for those born after 1973).

Note that Americans only have to work 35 years, and not 42 or 43 years.

Even with those changes, France is still slightly worse off than the UK.

The French are not happy, and the increase in retirement age will negatively impact unemployment rates.

Those smaller nation-States benefit handsomely directly or indirectly from the military actions taken by the US without having to bear the costs directly or indirectly.

We'll see how happy those people are in the coming years, when taxes are increased and benefits and services are cut or reduced.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:36 PM

2,710 posts, read 2,987,428 times
I think it needs someone with large kahunas to change the tax system to one where tax is paid on goods bought and money we are paid as salary/pay is all ours.

Trump is all about renegotiation and he sees this trade war as a tactic in this strategy. No-one really wants to have a trade war as no-one wins, so whats the point? The point is to try and get a better deal for your side - whichever that is. All the balls fly up in the air and it is a free-for-all as to who catches most.

Do not focus on the small details, but focus on the broader picture. People and countries will often not make the best deal without some forcing of their hand and 'persuasion' and this is what is being done between the big players. The smaller players often get to be forced to accept a bad deal due to the power difference.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:55 AM

22,699 posts, read 28,590,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Because of the military umbrella put in place by other countries. And by other countries, I mean the United States.

They too would be concerned about having a strong military to defend that high quality of life if they didn’t have security guaranteed by the U.S post ww2.
that is their concern, not America's. the taxpayers of the US are spending more than $1 trillion a year on that military. slash it and see what happens. its funny how the American taxpayer is tricked by greedy politicians to believe that they need to spend $1 trillion+ per year on the military and they even seem proud of it.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:49 PM

8,625 posts, read 2,406,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Interesting clip, now it may not seem so bad that Trump is trying to thwart their influence over the US?
When Trump was running I used to say he plays checkers while other countries and leaders play chess.

Your statement proves that out.

The game is never over, but consider this. China, of course, wants to not be as reliant on outside products (especially those involving high technology) as they have been in the past.

They were going to accomplish this no matter what - with over a BILLION people, higher IQ's than the USA, better ways of sorting out their best engineers, scientists and engineers as political leaders, etc.

OK, so that is a given.

Now, guess what they are going to do in reaction to Trump?

I'll give you a couple seconds.....

They are going to double down, triple down and they quadruple down. They are going to accelerate their programs for self-sufficiency in the areas where they are lacking.

As they accomplish this, they will consider us as an untrustworthy trade partner....liable to do anything on a moments notice to muck up the works. That makes them less likely to partner (they have great technologies invented there also!) and more likely to just buy our industries and other companies the world over (Volvo, IBM PC's and vast other firm...they already own...and they have the money to buy a good part of this country and the world)....

Now - tell me how we benefit from this?

The sad thing about the present political situation here is that the average joe or jane really thinks they know better about complicated matters of state...than those who are pros. This is akin to buying a Hitachi cordless and then showing us how you can do brain surgery.

Doing things properly takes a long term outlook and planning- something we don't do here. Where is our infrastructure plan? Where are the high-speed rail tracks getting laid? Why is out government not believing in science and losing our edge in the new green/efficiency world economy?

Why are we cutting back on scientific programs which the government helps fund?

Ask yourself these questions and more and then consider how we will compete with a country that does all that and much more...and where engineers sit around the table and plan moves...as opposed to a Con Man Realtor.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:14 AM

3,270 posts, read 1,724,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

They were going to accomplish this no matter what - with over a BILLION people, higher IQ's than the USA, better ways of sorting out their best engineers, scientists and engineers as political leaders, etc.

OK, so that is a given.
Americans want to, or at least I want to, as a country catch up to that and re-surpass them. Maybe that is what makes me different from other posters here. I do not have a defeatist attitude. I fall, I rise. There is no given. Only possibilities.

To do that, Americans must bring back a portion of production and manufacturing jobs by lowering our taxes and discouraging imports by leveling (not increasing) the playing field. As Pres. Trump said when he was first asked about a possible Trade War, his answer "What War? The War was already lost." So, what he is doing is just discontinuing the process that sends out our technologies to other countries that in effect over repetitions through many years, allows other countries to surpass our IQ.

A systemic flaw I think bout America IMHO is "capitalism" which is really at the crux of the problem. I prefer "Americanism" which is maximizing profit that benefits the country, not just one's self (which is capitalism). We always say maximize profit, which leads to companies finding cheaper labor and factory parts OUTSIDE of America.

Too much outsourcing of products and services took away jobs and that is breeding if not, bred, a culture of defeatist attitude. But additionally, most of these jobs are IQ jobs - assembly, factory, manufacturing jobs. Hence, there is a double whammy of defeatist attitude coupled by a true sense of lack of IQ jobs in America. Capitalism is fueling this cycle.

Must America perpetuate this? Ask yourself. I know being on the middle to upper classes of America, some of you only worry about your stock account balance and feels complacent about the issue. You prefer that America stay the course even if the direction of the ship is away from America. (However if you are non-American, say of Chinese descent for example, and post here, I can understand your posts).

However, as we perpetuate and do nothing about it, the defeatist attitude among the middle to lower class and the complacent and indifferent attitude by the upper class sets up a future that is not good for US. Have you ever felt that sometimes US is going to the dogs? What have you done about it?

President Trump to me is visionary. He is willing to make the unpopular decisions to change the course of the direction of this country.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:38 AM

8,625 posts, read 2,406,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Americans want to, or at least I want to, as a country catch up to that and re-surpass them. Maybe that is what makes me different from other posters here. I do not have a defeatist attitude. I fall, I rise. There is no given. Only possibilities.

To do that, Americans must bring back a portion of production and manufacturing jobs by lowering our taxes and discouraging imports by leveling (not increasing) the playing field.

President Trump to me is visionary. He is willing to make the unpopular decisions to change the course of the direction of this country.
Interesting for these reasons....without knowing it, you are contradicting yourself.....

I know we can raise the national IQ. Japan did it in spade - by 10 points or more, through a government program. However, looking out at the current landscape...do you really think the USA is going to spend money on such a program? Trump himself admits he doesn't read or write - and anyone listening to him can say with confidence that his intelligence level (measured intelligence, not art of the Con) is low.

High IQ people don't work on assembly lines or in coal mines. So your statements about manufacturing don't make much sense unless you, like I, think automation is the future. In that case, those tens of millions in poverty and the "forgotten man" is not going to have any work. What are they going to do???

Then you talk about increasing the debt and deficit on our children, grandchildren and so on. You seek to do this at a time when interest rates are rising. Let me do some basic calculations for you - we are already close to 22 TRILLION in debt, with over a trillion a year to be added. So at the end of Trumps reign we will be going on 24 or 25 Trillion.....interest rates are headed way up, so let's say we have to pay 4% on that debt (treasuries)....we very well may have to pay higher.

That is ONE TRILLION a year in interest payments. The TOTAL collected in income taxes per year is less than TWO TRILLION. This means 1/2 of the taxes collected in Fed. Income Taxes will go for just interest (much of it to the Chinese and Japanese and other foreigners) . It doesn't take much math to see we will fall further and further behind (Just the Trump Security State Budget alone eats up the other Trillion, let alone actual money for infrastructure, education, environment, etc.)

You can be as optimistic as you like...so can a person who is in terrible debt and keeps spending more hoping to hit the lottery someday.

At some point the rubber hits the road. You can gauge policy by what is DONE, not by what is said. Example - the Opioid crisis costs this country 100 Billion a year. Trump allocated 4 Billion to "get rid of it". It is obvious that we don't intend to fix that particular problem.

Education is the key to a successful USA (or China). I'm not talking about a couple super smart people...the type of society we have now. I am talking about most everyone being educated...and we simply don't have that.

You won't go to Switzerland or Germany and find large masses of people as ignorant as many Americans. You just won't.

In the end the future is about brains and automation....and also about the economics resulting. If the "economy is so great" as constantly claimed, we'd be paying DOWN debt and deficit, not giving tax cuts from our grandchildren's money...

It's one thing to be optimistic - quite another to not use a ruler to measure. That is then called "false hope".

Old 07-22-2018, 03:55 PM

8,297 posts, read 3,461,858 times
China is running circles around us through the use of central money creation and direction.

https://ellenbrown.com/2017/05/17/if...dit-so-can-we/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People...itative_Easing

Sure it may not last, and sure it is not the American way. But I think we need to learn to be more creative with our debt. Especially as it comes to national infrastructure and HC.

In 100 years our HC spending alone could be more in USD than exists today. How do we get there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or