U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2018, 09:37 PM
 
7,199 posts, read 3,733,357 times
Reputation: 10134

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
When Trump was running I used to say he plays checkers while other countries and leaders play chess.

Your statement proves that out.

The game is never over, but consider this. China, of course, wants to not be as reliant on outside products (especially those involving high technology) as they have been in the past.

They were going to accomplish this no matter what - with over a BILLION people, higher IQ's than the USA, better ways of sorting out their best engineers, scientists and engineers as political leaders, etc.

The rest of the countries are playing chess, Trump is playing 3D chess. It just looks like checkers to them becuase they don't understand it.


China was all that 1000 years ago so why are they still "developing" and playing catch up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2018, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Ohio
18,077 posts, read 13,275,864 times
Reputation: 13896
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
China was all that 1000 years ago so why are they still "developing" and playing catch up?
Believe it or not, Confucianism.

The entire bureaucracy was hamstrung by Confucianism. It might be a great personal philosophy, but a State simply cannot operate in the modern World on those principles.

Then, of course, countries like the US carved up China as colonies and raped the Chinese of their wealth and profits from 1846 to 1902, and then again after the US acquired Chinese colonies from 1918-1938.

China was exactly able to develop, and colonists like the US made sure they couldn't.


And then they were hampered by Mao for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2018, 12:00 AM
 
7,199 posts, read 3,733,357 times
Reputation: 10134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Believe it or not, Confucianism.

The entire bureaucracy was hamstrung by Confucianism. It might be a great personal philosophy, but a State simply cannot operate in the modern World on those principles.

Then, of course, countries like the US carved up China as colonies and raped the Chinese of their wealth and profits from 1846 to 1902, and then again after the US acquired Chinese colonies from 1918-1938.

China was exactly able to develop, and colonists like the US made sure they couldn't.


And then they were hampered by Mao for decades.

So a nation 200 years old carved up and raped a nation thousands of years old that supposedly has more people, more resources, higher IQs, and credited with earlier technological inventions? And we're to believe that nation will rule the future world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2018, 12:05 AM
 
749 posts, read 407,528 times
Reputation: 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Asia is the future. That is where all the economic development is going to be, that is where demand is going to be coming from over the next century and that is where the world's focus is going to be. Simple population and economic dynamics of the area. Europe, NA etc are all has been. We've grown, we've consumed and now the rest of the world is rapidly catching up and there are 4b+ people over there about to become the new world's target market

Asia is going to drive the world economy of tomorrow. 300m Americans simple can't out consume 4 billion + on the continent. We've had our turn in the center of the world stage. We can do one of two things:

1. Enjoy the ride and remain relevant but in a smaller capacity
2. Continue to **** and moan, tick everyone off and end up losing the one thing that does matter (dollar pricing on commodities).
Asia is the future? Think again.
China's economy is at the mercy of a force completely beyond its control
How a strong dollar is hurting China - Business Insider

Strong US Dollar is biggest Chinese nightmare. China does not want a strong dollar. China wants a weak dollar. But in order to defeat both Russia and China we need to keep the US dollar strong. Simple as that. There will be side effects, of course. One side effect might be that America will need to begin manufacturing its own products again, which might be a good thing.

Side effects won't all be positive. The Age of Debt will be wound down. The Age of Saving will begin again, which the FED has been perverting with zero interest rates since deflation was supposed to begin in 2001.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2018, 11:34 AM
 
8,302 posts, read 3,471,321 times
Reputation: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The rest of the countries are playing chess, Trump is playing 3D chess. It just looks like checkers to them becuase they don't understand it.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctf0FmkZz6g
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2018, 09:13 PM
 
535 posts, read 515,726 times
Reputation: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
The ambitions of China are to raise the wall-being of the Chinese people. What are the ambitions of the USA? Or Australia? Or Russia? Or Paraguay?

Conversely, what SHOULD be their ambitions?
The ambitions of China are to raise the well being of Chinese people. Nothing wrong with that. That is natural and normal. What is wrong is the politicians in America are not concerned with doing the same. Blacks are encouraged to look out for their interests and achieve success for their people, Indians are encouraged to look out for their interests and achieve success for their people, Jews are encouraged to look out for their interests and achieve success for their people and Arabs are encouraged to look out for their interests and achieve success for their people. But if white people say they want to look out for their interests in western countries and achieve success for their people, they are persecuted, derided, and hounded, even by many of their own people. White people have been programmed in schools and in the media to not look out for themselves and their best interests and this is why China is taking advantage of the U.S. economically. This is why politicians are making bad decisions like not defending the borders and not doing what is necessary to ensure a safe and prosperous future.

Trade wars have a lot of consequences but the current path is not a good one to take. At least Trump is trying to do something to get better deals and look out for our interests. A lot of people in the U.S. donít like this but a lot of people do. Thatís why we are better off splitting up instead of continuing to live together in an unworkable society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2018, 09:28 PM
 
551 posts, read 499,349 times
Reputation: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
The ambitions of China are to raise the well being of Chinese people. Nothing wrong with that. That is natural and normal. What is wrong is the politicians in America are not concerned with doing the same. Blacks are encouraged to look out for their interests and achieve success for their people, Indians are encouraged to look out for their interests and achieve success for their people, Jews are encouraged to look out for their interests and achieve success for their people and Arabs are encouraged to look out for their interests and achieve success for their people. But if white people say they want to look out for their interests in western countries and achieve success for their people, they are persecuted, derided, and hounded, even by many of their own people. White people have been programmed in schools and in the media to not look out for themselves and their best interests and this is why China is taking advantage of the U.S. economically. This is why politicians are making bad decisions like not defending the borders and not doing what is necessary to ensure a safe and prosperous future.

Trade wars have a lot of consequences but the current path is not a good one to take. At least Trump is trying to do something to get better deals and look out for our interests. A lot of people in the U.S. donít like this but a lot of people do. Thatís why we are better off splitting up instead of continuing to live together in an unworkable society.
Good post. Not easy to accept this message for some, but its accurate. Everyone is looking out for themselves or for their own kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2018, 07:08 AM
 
962 posts, read 201,935 times
Reputation: 1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Good post. Not easy to accept this message for some, but its accurate. Everyone is looking out for themselves or for their own kind.
Unfortunately it is a lot more complicated.

"Races" do not look out for their own.
Ethnic groups within "Races" tend to congregate loosely.
Tribes/Clans (as identified from specific regions) tend to do business together and marry
Families and extended kin look out for their own.

One Chinese man generally doesn't care about the well being of another unless there is some deeper connection or affiliation beyond just being from China. Even when both are in a foreign country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top