U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 04:39 PM

4,115 posts, read 3,410,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
And sometimes, other factors apply. I was raised by white collar professionals in an upper-middle class income neighborhood, just outside of Washington D.C. I got a top-notch public school education in what was at the time, the best public school system in the country.

A poor marital choice was my downfall into the life of a single, low income working parent.
Sorry for your situation. It seems divorce wreaks havoc on so many people financially. Many times you just don't see it coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 07:35 PM

796 posts, read 1,336,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
And sometimes, other factors apply. I was raised by white collar professionals in an upper-middle class income neighborhood, just outside of Washington D.C. I got a top-notch public school education in what was at the time, the best public school system in the country.

A poor marital choice was my downfall into the life of a single, low income working parent.

Absolutely. I had a wealthy family upbringing but it was such a dysfunctional family, that i never received a college education and was kicked out of the house as soon as i turned 18 just for my mom's sheer malice. So the way families treat and prepare thier kids has a lot to do with it. I did exceptionally well in a good public school system. But never went on to college until after age 30, ( on pell grants)-by that time i was already a very battered wife.... ended up single with kids and on welfare . The dad became a crazy druggie who had no money, we owned no home, so i received nothing from the divorce.

I knew the kids of prominent figures, wealthy people, who ended up on poverty benefits , due to things like drugs or mental illness. That's a whole sector of our population. There's no law saying that wealthy people have to support their kids once they hit 18, that's really part of the problem. Not preparing them, then cutting them loose. They rely heavily on the system.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post

Think about a Billions in stolen land and labor from slavery. Many many of those families still have that land! So the income of the person may be the same as the guy across town. But since his ancestors were savages who stole land/businesses/labor, he's born with a $100,000 boost that did not come from his paycheck.
Very few Americans past or present, ever participated in that sort of thing, or benefitted from it.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:44 PM

697 posts, read 522,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
Very few Americans past or present, ever participated in that sort of thing, or benefitted from it.

Oooohhhh boy, popcorn time !!!! This is gonna get good

Old 07-01-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Not everyone adds value to society. Some merely waste oxygen in the atmosphere and the sum total of their value-add will come in payment to a mortician.

And that includes quite a few homeowners, in the net result and impact they have on society, including thier own poverty stricken kids.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:20 PM

4,115 posts, read 3,410,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Oooohhhh boy, popcorn time !!!! This is gonna get good
Nah, it will get locked if it goes that direction.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:15 AM

4,354 posts, read 5,282,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
As for books that were never written, I'm working on a book. About 60% done.

What sucks about big projects is that - unless you're already flush with cash - you have to go through a lot of lean times before your finished product has any payoff.

Sometimes I wonder how J.K. Rowling felt before the money rolled in.
Iím working on my 4th film script of the year - just finished the outline! - and my goal was to write 5 this year. Weíll see though because none of them are beyond rough drafts yet. So I know what you mean, I went into the year feeling like this would be the toughest year because there is 0 possibility any of the hard work will pay off this year. It goes without saying even the odds are against me in the future, but the soonest would be late next year. I realized itís definitely psychologically tough to work for a long time with no payoff whatsoever, nobody even knowing what you did, just the satisfaction of the work itself.

Just keep plugging away though! I wrote two non-fiction books, the first while I was in high school, and my parents actually laughed when I told them what I was doing. They werenít laughing when one of NYís top agents signed me in senior year of high school though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or