Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2018, 03:36 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
You can buy trailers but trailer parks exact lot rent, so I don't really see the point of owning a trailer.

An apartment you own is called a condo and comes with its own baggage.
on point 1, you and your crew buy the land and make it into a trailer park.

on point 2, drat - I should have read the whole thread. you've shot my condo idea down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 03:48 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,818,241 times
I would like to see a reference to the original article and the study that supports the OP claims.
National Homeownership Month? What is it actually? if not an organized effort on the part of realtors to promote their own agenda. So do these claims surprise anyone?

I suggest we take such 'statistics' with two pounds of salt until they are replicated by an agency with no dog in the fight.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:52 PM

19,030 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
This is a joke. The main reason for not buying a home and renting would be because you don't have the means to buy a home. It boils down to people with more wealth have kids that do better in school and they have more wealth than people with less wealth.
IMHO, there are also those who are owner-builders who have "less wealth" but built their own homes regardless.
I suspect that their example inspires their children, too.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:06 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
PLUS ownership. Because only ownership builds wealth, provides security, and makes you immune from rent inflation.
True, but it doesn't have to be ownership in real estate as you seem to believe. One can rent and have ownership in cash, stocks, bonds, precious metals, art, rare autographed Ramones albums, etc. and build wealth. Security is a side-effect of wealth.

I don't own a home, yet I manage to feel quite financially secure and am happy with the freedom it brings me instead of always trying to angle at how not owning a home makes me some hapless victim of government policies. Bottom line = if you manage to be a failure while renting your whole life, you'd likely manage the same if someone handed you the opportunity to buy a house.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:18 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
PLUS ownership. Because only ownership builds wealth, provides security, and makes you immune from rent inflation.

Problem with apartments and trailer parks is they don't enable ownership.
you've already admitted that landlords simply pass on costs to renters. Thus taxes, ins, etc goes up, rent goes up as rent inflation. If you are the homeowner your costs went up so you are not immune to that rent inflation.
security in that you own your house and all the sunk money and and earthquake can take it away. Doesn't sound to secure. Neighborhood or economy goes south and you house goes down in value and you can't sell it and you are stuck. not so secure. If you rent simply move.

Try again.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
How do you fix "unable to buy"?
easy, make your $100k a year you said you can make.

Have you met hitpausebutton2? You and he would be best buds here.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
You can buy trailers but trailer parks exact lot rent, so I don't really see the point of owning a trailer.

An apartment you own is called a condo and comes with its own baggage.
So does a house

Old 06-28-2018, 07:39 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Wealth is primarily based on income unless one inherits money. Wealth cannot exist in the absence of adequate income regardless of whether one rents or owns. There are many house poor folks who fare no better than renters. And in fact, may do considerably worse. Their properties may not appreciate normally due to deferred maintenance and are sometimes lost due to non payment of taxes or mortgages losing whatever down payment and principal paid. How much one makes is always the primary driver of possible wealth.
Extremely valid points UNC. In a sense, buying a home is many things.

1. Land - Often the most valuable component, aside from when factoring depreciation....
- Is the land suitable for alternative uses?
- Is the local area showing an increase or decrease in population?
- Is there an environmental factor decreasing the utility or the land? (i.e. high crime area, next to a landfill, relatively few public amenities.)

2. Home - This value actually fluctuates wildly, but tends to drop.
- Is it stylishly modern? (sweet shag carpets man....)
- Is it accessible? (Sir, this condo is just up the 4 flights of stairs to your left.)
- Is it functionally modern? (cloth wiring to modern, lead paint, asbestos tiles, internet, electrical grid, adequate outlets etc. etc.)
- Has it been maintained? (HVAC, paint etc.)

The reality is money has to be put into homes or they will fall apart or become obsolete, land just needs the property taxes to be paid. The mindset between a homeowner that realizes they have to responsibly use their property and care for it is wildly different than renters who can call a sup and complain when something doesn't work. When I rented, I didn't care what went down the drain, I certainly wasn't going to be looking to repair things or care if someone was hanging out and causing problems.

Now, most people can make that switch, but it is funny how suddenly you start caring about how good your school is, your neighborhood, what's happening around you. You own more than your house...you own your community and you want it better. You own your job and you stay....well, most people anyway...because you have this giant mortgage that you're looking at every month....the reality is, the renters are looking at an even bigger mortgage, but there's not a nice handy statement. It's just....I need $x for the month.

So yes, there are huge financial benefits to home ownership....if you're in a growing area, but it takes discipline as well. That discipline can spill over into other areas of your life. You can build a network, be involved with the city functions, know the neighboring businesses etc. That's going to help your family....unless its a government project that's flooded with a bunch of people that haven't figured it out, and getting something made to order without needing to earn it....that changes things too.

It's a process. It's roses, complete with thorns. You work so hard to finally get that cardboard crappiest home on the block, that process is validating. You got in. You can start your next chapter there. You receive it in some other way, you won't get that same thing...and it's important to do that.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:47 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:
I don't think the families can exist. Specifically, I don't think family A can be married ("one spouse...") because to qualify for Medicaid, their income would have to be so low as to make family B unrealistic is B is to have the same income as A. Perhaps family A is unmarried, in which case A and B could have equal income with custodial parent A qualifying for Medicaid and subsidized child care while unmarried.
Both families do indeed exist. We’re Family B, while our neighbors are Family A. I have no idea if they are legally married, but they refer to themselves as husband and wife. As far as the income being the same, it’s quite simple: only one of their incomes is on the books and straddling the poverty line, and they have the bare minimum deductions. While we have FICA, health insurance, pension and 403B contributions, union dues, as well as dependent care flexible spending account contributions being deducted.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
on point 1, you and your crew buy the land and make it into a trailer park.

on point 2, drat - I should have read the whole thread. you've shot my condo idea down.

1) Populated places do not allow you to place trailers on your own land. It's called zoning. If you wanna live in a trailer you have to place it in a park or move it to the boondocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics