Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 09:54 AM

7,623 posts, read 4,540,730 times

Advertisements

https://patch.com/michigan/detroit/5...-pick-little-1

If you just need space and the internet, head east young man! The wild wild east of Detroit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 10:19 AM

10,311 posts, read 8,489,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Actually I want government to get out of the way and allow minimalist home ownership, as opposed to zoning it out of existence.
That's how ghettos and favelas get formed.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:27 PM

18,791 posts, read 8,401,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
No, the boondocks has “degraded internet” which would make it impossible for one to make $100k/year.
I've got 200 Mbps right now out here small town AZ. Is that fast enough?

Old 06-29-2018, 02:37 PM

10,493 posts, read 5,557,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I've got 200 Mbps right now out here small town AZ. Is that fast enough?
It's freemkt's issue, not mine. I expect that there will be no speed that is sufficiently fast.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:06 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,039,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the actual owning of the home isnt what makes your kids do better. it is the mentality of the person that purchases a home vs rents a home.
Right on the money there.

+5

Old 06-29-2018, 06:19 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,039,378 times
Quote:
Not trying to divert this thread - this thread is way too much fun - but people have been asking me and it's easier to make a post or two than to reply to every DM - I was a subtenant at the old place and the tenant's default got us all kicked out. HE was evicted and the landlord had to fix a number of things, plus he remodeled and returned the house to market at 2x the old rent, which the rest of us could not afford. So I ended up in a tiny tiny 8 x 8 room where I got my own internet, an 18" x 18" folding table with room for my laptop and a desk lamp. Not enough space to work with.
That's bullshizzle. I started my computer business in a 3' x 5' closet.

You need to change your alias. You don't understand the free market, and you don't understand that having the drive to succeed despite obstacles is what makes successful people what they are.

All you have are excuses for why you can't do it. And that's all you will have, until you stop making excuses and blaming your failure on everything else, except for the true cause- *you*.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:28 PM

10,311 posts, read 8,489,553 times
really maybe it is 2 economies. Those that work hard and those that don't or at all.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:53 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,129,720 times
some that work hard make good money, and some don't - primarily through their own skill limitations.

some don't work hard or at all, and live off the money created by those in their prior generation,s and some don't work enough and pass that down as acceptable to their future generations.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:10 AM

187 posts, read 205,154 times
Quote:
Things I learned from National Homeownership Month:

Children of homeowners are 25% more likely to graduate from high school than children of renters of the same age, race, and income.

Children of homeowners are 116% more likely to graduate from college than children of renters of the same afe, race, and income.

Children of homeowners have 9% better math scores and 7% better reading scores than children of renters of the same age, race, and income.

And the average homeowner's net worth is 35 times the net worth of the average renter. (I think they meant median rather than average, but don't know that for sure.)
The original post should have read:

Things I learned from National Homeownership Month:

- Children with parents who make sound financial and family decisions, plan ahead, do not succumb to instant gratification, and work to build good credit, are more likely to graduate from highschool & college, have higher test scores and higher family net worths.

Oh yeah, they also happen to own more homes.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:46 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,499,452 times
Quote:
PLUS ownership. Because only ownership builds wealth, provides security, and makes you immune from rent inflation.

Problem with apartments and trailer parks is they don't enable ownership.
People don't need to be enabled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics