U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 11:13 AM

1,063 posts, read 325,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
As a young man I got in the position where I had no money and had to sell my junk car to pay the rent and buy food. I was unemployed, uneducated and was with a pregnant wife. I wound up walking from the small apartment from business to business until I found a job at minimum wage. Found a roommate to live in the living room (furnished with old lawn furniture) to help pay the rent. Had to make payments to the OB-GYN to get a commitment he would deliver the baby (later paying the hospital payments for a year). Did not get another junk car for two years and walked or bummed a rides everywhere.
Back in the day you could do this, now you'll be SOL and locked up in jail for back child support before the kid is even born
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 07:33 PM

1,751 posts, read 838,466 times

Old 07-03-2018, 05:09 PM

24,956 posts, read 11,649,274 times
early 1990's. I had ZERO cash. And had not eaten in 3 days. I was living in a travel trailer far from anybody on federal land, and had put all my money into my gas tank so I could make it to work. Female friend offered me $50 if I would sleep with her. Done deal.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:19 PM

6,592 posts, read 2,390,855 times
I know a few people who sell blood on a regular basis. I've never done it, though. One of these people has as paying job, they just want extra money.

I also had a friend who would do things for a research firm, like go around with hair color taped to her skin to see if there was an allergic reaction. Other things like that. She encouraged me to do it also. I was put off by it and didn't want the money, it wasn't that much anyway. She had never worked a regular job and did things like this all the time for money. Because she hated working.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:22 PM

28,230 posts, read 43,514,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
early 1990's. I had ZERO cash. And had not eaten in 3 days. I was living in a travel trailer far from anybody on federal land, and had put all my money into my gas tank so I could make it to work. Female friend offered me $50 if I would sleep with her. Done deal.
For only $50? Without seeing or knowing you, I'd say you should have held out for more - at least a hundred, lol.

I've never really been POOR, just BROKE for periods of time... and yes, there is a difference! So one thing I resorted to doing was pawning jewelry and other items, most of which I did claim in time. I almost had a small heart attack, though, when I was too late to claim two VERY sentimental items (from my dead grandparents). Thankfully they were able to recover them for me, but ended up charging me the inflated "retail prices" for which they were about to be sold. The original amount I'd received from pawning them was like $250 total, but I paid over $400 to get them back. Expensive lesson learned, to say the least.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:04 AM

15,252 posts, read 15,258,066 times
Selling plasma......depressing and that dang needle is honking-big.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:57 AM

575 posts, read 202,008 times
I recently read a story about taking Porsche GT4 to Le Mans and noticed a photo of another Porsche with a bumper sticker:

“I’m not gay but 30 is 30”

Glad I’ve never been that desperate.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:59 AM

4,334 posts, read 4,371,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Pulled the back seats out of my firebird to find sticky dimes and nickles and a 2 door lottery ticket to buy a 6-pack of National Bohemian beer... Not my finest hour.

Rg
A fine beer

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/447/7363/

Old 07-04-2018, 05:14 PM

11,405 posts, read 16,022,823 times
When I was 23, I was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer. Even though I had a job, I was not making a ton of money (first job out of college in a recession) and had been splitting a dumpy 3 bedroom with two brothers. They turned out to get into rip roaring fights, had both a marijuana and pill problem, and had ragers on weeknights where I'd wake up to find our front door wide open because it could only be locked with a key and my cat nowhere to be found. I ended up moving (and spending the bulk of my meager savings) the same week I was diagnosed.

Even with insurance, I was paying tons of money for copays, medications, and transportation to get to the hospital. The hospital was hours on public transit from either my home or work, and I wasn't supposed to be taking public transit anyway since my immune system was shot from chemo.

I ended up working full time against doctor's orders, skipping appointments and medication because I couldn't afford the copays, and eating absolute crap supplemented by a food bank (when I could get away from work to get to one). It was the absolute most frightening time of my life.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:18 AM

394 posts, read 245,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Cheap beer is expensive at any price! I never noticed the after-taste of pepper, I must refine my palate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics