Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 09:57 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,206,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
No, the typical small business startup is the worker who invests his life savings in the startup, and maybe mortgages his home. Once that is done, his future is inextricably linked to the small business, and if it fails, there is no way to get his original investment back out. Unless, as you say, he can resell the light bulbs. There are plenty of vacant buildings and offices to attest to the worthlessness of the wreckage of a failed business.

The downside of risk is of much greater magnitude than the upside. For a great majority of people, losing $100K would mean permanent poverty and a ruined life, but the gain of $100K is just a better car.
the small business person that "invested" 100K hoping only to make 100K over a long period of time is a fool. Ex - someone's entire goal is to "be their own boss", so they make less as a business person than they were making for someone else. That's great for them, so long as that investment generates enough income to pay their personal bills. But let's not decry their ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 09:59 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,206,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Do all wealthy people work hard for their money? Does working hard guarantee wealth? Are all poor people lazy?
no to all 3, of course.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:11 AM

230 posts, read 230,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
This is one of the reasons I was pulling my hair out when Trump announced that he was abolishing the Death Tax and cutting income taxes on the surface when actually introducing new hidden taxes (like limiting deductions from Mortgages and state/local taxes.)

At least in theory, I see the fairest system of taxes would be a low income tax and a high death tax to compensate for the low income tax revenues. Low income taxes incentivize people to work harder and earn more since they get to keep more of it. Inheritance is what you receive because you got lucky and was born into a rich family.

Of course, in a perfect world, we would not have taxes period. But taxes are a necessary evil and I would target inheritance first before even touching income if I were president.

YES, this. This country treats wealth very, very well. It treats income very poorly.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:39 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,861,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
big hat size.
I was going to say big heart... Yeah, big heart. That's it.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:41 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,861,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Yet, absolutely REQUIRED (timing purposes)
https://www.ctj.org/fact-sheet-why-w...te-income-tax/
I disagree with that post, but whatever, keep posting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
and a complete nonstarter to be eliminated by Congress.
I agree with you there. But I can dream.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:48 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,428,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I disagree with that post, but whatever, keep posting it.

I agree with you there. But I can dream.

And exactly what part of it do you disagree with?

Old 07-03-2018, 02:44 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Sorry - nobody needs 2 yachts, I don't care how hard your dad worked.
Who are you to determine what someone else "needs"? Are you certain that someone else wouldn't think you have "too many" of some particular item? What, precisely, is the harm caused by someone owning two yachts instead of one?

Old 07-03-2018, 03:13 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Who are you to determine what someone else "needs"?
Someone alive with eyes and ears is enough for this one.

Jonboat with an outboard motor?... OK; that could be within need for some.
A yacht? Nope. Let alone two of them.

Quote:
Are you certain that someone else wouldn't think you have "too many" of some particular item?
Have at it.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:14 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Who are you to determine what someone else "needs"?
Someone alive with eyes and ears is enough for determining this one.

Jon boat with an outboard motor?... OK; that could be within need for some.
A yacht? Nope. Let alone two of them.

Quote:
Are you certain that someone else wouldn't think you have "too many" of some particular item?
Have at it.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:44 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,604,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
That's a good point.

At the same time, total compensation has gone up much faster than wages. Wages are the largest slice of the total compensation pie, but employer-paid health insurance has been increasing rapidly over the past 20 years. What is happening is that employers are directing compensation increases into increasing health insurance premiums rather than into wages, and employees are better off for it, as health insurance is funded with pre-tax dollars.

In the past several years, with the economy booming and employment going up, we still are not seeing much evidence of broad-based wage inflation. Most economists point to formerly discouraged workers coming back into the workforce. At some point, we will see wage inflation.
I'm circling back around to read the comments and this is a very good point. However, while the coverage that an employee gets is much more expensive for the employer to pay out than it was 20 years ago, the coverage (including much more $ that the employee has to pay for deductibles and out of pocket expenses) is almost always inferior to what it was 20 years ago. Health insurance is a farce nowadays. Every year it seems the coverage gets worse for more money. Time and time again, everyone that I've spoken to has this exact experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I love this "tax man steals 1/2 your income" nonsense.

Colorado so 4.63% flat state income tax. 7.65% in payroll taxes. You have to be making pretty big money to be at a 20% effective Federal income tax rate. I'd peg you at more like 10%. You don't pay anything remotely approaching 50% of your income in taxes. With this post content, I'd be shocked if it was more than 25%.
You also have add Social Security and Medicare (which equal 7.65 percent), property taxes (which in some areas can be many thousands of dollars a year on even a modest home), car taxes, sales tax, and a higher tax rate for some unprotected classes of people, such as a single filer who has to pay a much higher rate a married couple on the same income. It can add up quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics