Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 09:47 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times

Advertisements

Is it still worth it to work? Yes, because the incentive is there to have more disposable income to do fun, rewarding things.

But Between federal income taxes, fica taxes, state income taxes, property taxes, and state sales taxes it’s kind of a joke how much of my households income is taken.

Then I come to city data and hear the special treat of the masses shouting that taxes need to be higher on the well off to close the gap.

Throw on the layer of medical, vision, auto, dental, and life insurances...

And the cost of education finance charges to play in the rat race...

Hmmmmm...

Last edited by Thatsright19; 06-30-2018 at 09:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 04:09 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Well, yeah actually, ya do. But your life is so far away from that you can’t understand anyone else’s reality. One yacht is up in the Pacific Northwest, one is in Cabo, those are 2,000 miles apart. He vacations to Cabo where he has a house so how exactly would you have one yacht if you wanted to use them in each place? You wouldn’t. Not to mention if you have the money what does it matter?! My dad has massive charitable contributions setup not only as he lives but when he’s gone. The company will continue and that company will donate more in one year to charity each year he’s dead than you will in your entire life. So again, what business is it what other people do with their money? Especially when those people have provided great incomes to thousands of people, made dozens of people millions of dollars, and started charities, contributed to other charities, educational foundations, and made the world a better place?

For all of the resentment of some poor people, it’s amazing they never stop to think those “evil greedy rich people” have made a million times the contribution to this world than a thousand whiny losers who refuse to work hard and instead would prefer to complain about how “it’s not fair.” Life isn’t fair, but if you sit around and complain rather than work hard you’ll never get anywhere.
When you post it on this board, it becomes my business and I have the right to comment on it.
I'm a Warren Buffett guy - Buffett owns almost no toys - lives in the same house since 1957 - lives like a common man. My kind of rich person. Although I always did wonder why Buffett is a democrat instead of being an independent.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:13 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I understand your point -- but note that Econ 101 teaches us there is no such thing as a need, period.
Just don't confuse Econ 101 or economics as a whole with reality.
Or maybe just read some Maslow.

Quote:
People do not have "needs"; people have "wants & desires."
The intellectual construct behind this sort of semantic nonsense....
is a good example of why so many will ridicule the rest of the dark science as well.
Being pedantic in support of this sort of semantic nonsense is just dumb.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:29 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Sorry - nobody needs 2 yachts, I don't care how hard your dad worked.

This article was pretty good and yes it raises some good points -- middle class is barely better off than the welfare collectors who are becoming an increasing percentage of society.
Nobody needs 2 shoes, either. Let 'em hop.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:49 AM

672 posts, read 443,051 times
Some people just get tired of seeing two people living in an in-your-face mcmansion.
How does that footprint help the economy?

Old 07-01-2018, 06:00 AM

185 posts, read 143,321 times
Quote:
Sorry - nobody needs 2 yachts, I don't care how hard your dad worked.

This article was pretty good and yes it raises some good points -- middle class is barely better off than the welfare collectors who are becoming an increasing percentage of society.

Unfortunately, this type of attitude is pervasive across our country. Sometimes, when you combine work and innovation, you get wealth. Only sometimes..... like the author points out, on one hand you have Bill Gates, and on the other, you have George Mitchell.

The article presents a nice picture of the majority 'fighting' over crumbs, while ...

What it doesn't mention, is the MASSIVE amount of wealth accumulated by the .01% Its not that I'm for or against the spread, its a inevitable result of the system. Call it what you like, but its been that way throughout history and across civilizations. The few own nearly everything while the majority own nearly nothing.

BeerGeek's "I don't care..." attitude probably reflects his hopelessness in understanding or comprehending of how or why someone would own 2 yachts, or a fleet, or a company manufacturing thousands of yachts. Maybe, or maybe not. Probably better, would be to 'own' or 'dictate' the country who taxes that manufacturing company on what it builds and sells and the consumer who buys it... That way, you're getting 2x your returns.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:31 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times
I believe low income people often work very hard. But they are either unskilled, uneducated or have other issues (possibly physical or mental health).

I am low income, but I don't resent wealthy people, nor do I blame "income inequality" on my plight. I have some mental health issues and a bachelor degree in General Studies - not exactly a formula for wealth.

I admire people that rise above and make good money.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:35 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Well, yeah actually, ya do. But your life is so far away from that you can’t understand anyone else’s reality. One yacht is up in the Pacific Northwest, one is in Cabo, those are 2,000 miles apart. He vacations to Cabo where he has a house so how exactly would you have one yacht if you wanted to use them in each place? You wouldn’t. Not to mention if you have the money what does it matter?! My dad has massive charitable contributions setup not only as he lives but when he’s gone. The company will continue and that company will donate more in one year to charity each year he’s dead than you will in your entire life. So again, what business is it what other people do with their money? Especially when those people have provided great incomes to thousands of people, made dozens of people millions of dollars, and started charities, contributed to other charities, educational foundations, and made the world a better place?

For all of the resentment of some poor people, it’s amazing they never stop to think those “evil greedy rich people” have made a million times the contribution to this world than a thousand whiny losers who refuse to work hard and instead would prefer to complain about how “it’s not fair.” Life isn’t fair, but if you sit around and complain rather than work hard you’ll never get anywhere.

Exactly! Some people can't see past their own bias/hate of successful people.

However, without the tax dollars and employment opportunities that the rich provide, they would be begging in the street.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:36 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
Some people just get tired of seeing two people living in an in-your-face mcmansion.
How does that footprint help the economy?
Consumption drives the economy.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:40 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Quote:
When you post it on this board, it becomes my business and I have the right to comment on it.
I'm a Warren Buffett guy - Buffett owns almost no toys - lives in the same house since 1957 - lives like a common man. My kind of rich person. Although I always did wonder why Buffett is a democrat instead of being an independent.

Pretty common to have an 11 million dollar vacation beach house?

Inside Warren Buffett's $11 million Laguna Beach vacation house - Business Insider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics