U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 11:27 AM

5,258 posts, read 2,412,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE1SG View Post
Unfortunately, this type of attitude is pervasive across our country. Sometimes, when you combine work and innovation, you get wealth. Only sometimes..... like the author points out, on one hand you have Bill Gates, and on the other, you have George Mitchell.

The article presents a nice picture of the majority 'fighting' over crumbs, while ...

What it doesn't mention, is the MASSIVE amount of wealth accumulated by the .01% Its not that I'm for or against the spread, its a inevitable result of the system. Call it what you like, but its been that way throughout history and across civilizations. The few own nearly everything while the majority own nearly nothing.

BeerGeek's "I don't care..." attitude probably reflects his hopelessness in understanding or comprehending of how or why someone would own 2 yachts, or a fleet, or a company manufacturing thousands of yachts. Maybe, or maybe not. Probably better, would be to 'own' or 'dictate' the country who taxes that manufacturing company on what it builds and sells and the consumer who buys it... That way, you're getting 2x your returns.

No, it's not "the system" that's responsible for this. Wealth goes to those that create it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 11:47 AM

12,878 posts, read 9,564,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
And what does that have to do with a huge excess footprint?
I have a huge footprint. Mrs. SportyandMisty says she likes it.

You know the old saying -- big hands, big feet, big...

Old 07-01-2018, 11:55 AM

15,726 posts, read 18,334,390 times
Working harder = Making more money

So, I’d say that is worth it.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:57 AM

30,034 posts, read 34,736,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I have a huge footprint. Mrs. SportyandMisty says she likes it.

You know the old saying -- big hands, big feet, big...

big hat size.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:22 PM

2,838 posts, read 1,248,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
big hat size.
Big hat, no cattle?

Old 07-01-2018, 12:52 PM

4,581 posts, read 2,816,558 times
Well, for me. Yes it's worth it. I feel good about myself after leaving work. I put in 8 hours and I expect to be rewarded. Then the paycheck comes. I have a desire to NOT get nasty calls from collection agencies, so I pay the bills. I like breaded chicken, so I go to a local deli and buy a pound. I like to chat with my sister, so every 3 or 4 weeks, we have breakfast together and talk about our woes...Then we flip to see who pays...

I'm right now in search of another vehicle. I am looking at $10K for it and will set up a 5 year financial debt, but probably will pay it and the $14K in debt off in about 18-24 months. Yeah, my job is that enjoyable.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:51 PM

3,636 posts, read 1,561,227 times
I would caution you not to believe what is written about the luxuriousness of the lifestyle afforded by government aid.

In my case I've done reasonably well and it has certainly been worth the work; but a great deal depends on what you work at. I work less hard than many people who earn far less than I do.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:11 PM

1,859 posts, read 2,439,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Why would you, or anyone else, care?
Might have something to do with their username - Homeless......

Old 07-01-2018, 02:25 PM

4,456 posts, read 5,332,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Now we know about dad - how about you?
What about me? I run a corporate video production company that has two employees besides me, one who has a family and she works from home and spends time picking up her kids because of the company I started. We hire contractors nationwide, videographers, at about $75-85/hour who make GOOD money doing work that’s possible because of my efforts over the last 10 years building a company that helps businesses with their marketing and video needs. I’ve also written and directed a feature film that employed in total a hundred or so people. And I’ve written two non-fiction books, directed award winning music videos and short films. I enjoy what I do.

I don’t understand this whole obsession with using the word “McMansion” as a synonym for “house bigger than I’ll ever be able to afford.” What’s wrong with living in a nice house? Are you the house police now? Do I need to seek permission for what’s the “right” size for me based on what some mediocre mind thinks I’m allowed to have? I happen to think a house with two useable bedrooms and two offices (usually extra bedrooms) is essential for my maximum happiness because my GF and I both work from home (I save a lot of money by not having an office, why can’t I have an extra bedroom in my home?! My home appreciates in value!) and a spare bedroom allows one of us to either have a guest here or sleep in the spare bedroom when someone has to get up earlier / go to bed later. I like to work out from home for my safety because my bench press has safety bars so I can lift alone. Beyond that I enjoy having space for my hobbies. Who cares if you’re satisfied with a 1,500 sq. ft. house, why should that mean I have to be satisfied with it too? I’ve done that already with my GF, we did make it work, but it wasn’t what we wanted long term and I didn’t have to keep doing it.

Some people act like you can’t raise your standards ever. I lived in a little quad apartment in college that cost $250/month (2003) and had horrible temperature swings and bad noise issues. But I made it work. I know people who grew up poor and took out debt to be in the nicest newest dorm. I dang well knew that one day though I’ll live a lifestyle I want to live with as few compromises as I have to make. I don’t see why I should apologize for wanting to live a nice lifestyle or check in with someone else if it’s “ok” that I enjoy things that are luxurious rather than “necessary.” What a boring life that would be if everything is based on what you “need” and not ever what you want.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:31 PM

11,145 posts, read 11,555,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Most wealthy people worked for their money, and the solution isn't to punish them for success. That's unAmerican and people with that attitude really belong in a different country. It's not a zero-sum game, there is more money in the world now, and the wealthy in America are selling products or services worldwide, so of course they're going to be wealthier than ever before. Back 100 years ago most people sold their products or services to a regional area, at best, or a city, and a few people made a fortune on things like railroads and oil. But now you have a worldwide marketplace of 7 billion people. It shouldn't be surprising that you can make a lot more money if you succeed in today's world than if you did in a world of 1 billion people without the Internet or airplane transportation.

My dad has a yacht, two actually right now, but he started life with $0 and built his business empire over the past 40 years. He deserves every luxury that he can afford. He worked for it.
The US tax code is wonderful for business owners. It allowed your dad to build his business tax-free, and over the last 40 years he has had multiple opportunities to take advantage of investment tax credits where the state and feds picked up the tab for business expansion.

For his employees, things were not so great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or