U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 02:21 PM

1,134 posts, read 960,993 times

Advertisements

Over the weekend, my wife and I drove for a lovely Sunday at a nearby town. As were were wrapping up brunch, power went off and was off for the next 2 hours we were there. The reason

Quote:
All but 1,570 electric customers have power again following an outage Sunday morning in Petaluma that occurred when a bird contacted PG&E equipment. At one point, 17,670 customers were without power, Hernandez said.
In 21st century America, 20k people lose power for 3 hours because of a bird... This is absolutely insane. And before some resident CA haters start saying how it is a CA issue, no it isn't. People across America consistently lose power when it is "windy".

Given how dependent we are on electricity, it is quite disconcerting that I could probably use minimal effort to take out the power of a small town.

This was a Sunday - streets were packed with people - traffic not working, vendors can't accept credit cards, products going bad. probably hundreds of thousands of losses because of a bird running into a pole...

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...outage-sunday/

I think that the issue with the grid is just a symptom of how bad things are. We are the most powerful country in the history of the world. Yet minor things cause huge issues.

The whole city of Atlanta shut down for 2 days because of 2 inches of snow - that's what happens when there is no reliable public transportation, especially rail. A massive transportation, defense hub shuts down because of some snow flurries.

Pipes seem to burst all the time.

If you have ever been to a country like Japan, you will understand how bad our airports and roads are.

It is just nuts how we can't figure this out.

Interesting article on the topic, but not everyone might be able to read it
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...infrastructure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 02:57 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,026,502 times
watch it.. they are going to compare country sizes for this to be even worth talking about..

But yea its amazing how we are the most powerful country and money hungry nation in the world. You can thank the huge investors, lobbiest for this very reason why we have issues. Everybody wants money, but dont want to spend it on this very issue, infrastructor. How is it going to be paid? well i can think of many ways, it can be paid for, but we know investors and profiteers will not foot the bill.

Then you got the other side such as NIMBY's and animal rights people. Why you think other countries get to test and have better things before we even get to see it. Too much red tape and hands in the cookie jar.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:36 PM

4,110 posts, read 3,400,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
watch it.. they are going to compare country sizes for this to be even worth talking about..

But yea its amazing how we are the most powerful country and money hungry nation in the world. You can thank the huge investors, lobbiest for this very reason why we have issues. Everybody wants money, but dont want to spend it on this very issue, infrastructor. How is it going to be paid? well i can think of many ways, it can be paid for, but we know investors and profiteers will not foot the bill.

Then you got the other side such as NIMBY's and animal rights people. Why you think other countries get to test and have better things before we even get to see it. Too much red tape and hands in the cookie jar.
Actually Tax increases come up and sometimes the voters do approve it to fix things like roads.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Actually Tax increases come up and sometimes the voters do approve it to fix things like roads.

and look at the conditions.. You would think toll roads would be clean and free of pot holes, due to the extra "tax" we pay on it. Nope. I seen side streets in better conditions. You can throw money at it all day long and still wont fix the issue. It quantity vs quality and seems nobody cares about quality.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:58 PM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 10 days ago)

13,365 posts, read 11,871,000 times
Even a brand new electrical grid can be disabled by a “bird”. One instance every few years is nothing to panic about. Mankind survived for tens(?) of thousands of years without electricity. I’m sure modern man can endure a few hours.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:06 PM

2,154 posts, read 795,391 times
Every job is done by the lowest bidder.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:20 PM

1,134 posts, read 960,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Even a brand new electrical grid can be disabled by a “bird”. One instance every few years is nothing to panic about. Mankind survived for tens(?) of thousands of years without electricity. I’m sure modern man can endure a few hours.
a lot of countries have their power lines underground. Not above because where are susceptible to weather, birds, trees, cars etc.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...s-12295031.php

Should the US put power lines underground?

Old 07-02-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
a lot of countries have their power lines underground. Not above because where are susceptible to weather, birds, trees, cars etc.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...s-12295031.php

Should the US put power lines underground?
yea OK is good example and im sure fire states should follow. I dont see a issue with it other than rouge diggers who doesnt know how to read signs. Well read the english on the sign.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:05 PM

1,736 posts, read 1,788,674 times
Imagine if we took that $1.5 trillion in tax cuts, and invested that in infrastructure...

Old 07-02-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Imagine if we took that $1.5 trillion in tax cuts, and invested that in infrastructure...
what if companies took their profit and invest in it instead of sending checks out. (excluding payroll)

as u can see in this chart, most are collecting instead of reinvesting.
http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar...le/margin.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or