U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 07:43 AM

651 posts, read 685,432 times

Advertisements

If you were still in your probationary period, which is usually at least 90 days, the odds are even further against you unless you have a valid discrimination case. Valid means provable beyond all doubt.

Next time definitely do more research on the company culture. With 3 rounds of interviews, I’m surprised you didn’t get to that at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 08:17 AM

15,385 posts, read 8,679,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
I went on three rounds of interviews for this positions. And finally I was hired. Then I went to work and there were millennials with blue hair, piercing, IPODS. I spent two months at the company and was let go because of "bad corporate fit". Now I want 2 be compensated. Do I have a case to sue?
How long ago was this? I'm pretty sure millennials are listening to music on their phones, not Ipods.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:30 AM

332 posts, read 602,183 times
I can see not being a good fit but it sounds like there is more to the story than that. What reason did they give for letting you go?

Old 07-05-2018, 09:31 AM

1,738 posts, read 825,456 times
Quote:
I went on three rounds of interviews for this positions. And finally I was hired. Then I went to work and there were millennials with blue hair, piercing, IPODS. I spent two months at the company and was let go because of "bad corporate fit". Now I want 2 be compensated. Do I have a case to sue?
I just clicked ona stupid post on the Internet, resulting in the wasting of my time. Now I want to be compensated.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:37 AM

257 posts, read 93,060 times
Quote:

Are you over 40? If so you might be able to go for an age discrimination lawsuit under The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA). File a Charge of Discrimination with the EEOC

https://www.eeoc.gov/employees/charge.cfm

You have 180 days to take action, but if you are going this route I would recommend doing so now, even before you file for unemployment. It could help you if your former employer tried to block your unemployment benefits by claiming they fired you for cause (though the burden on them to prove cause to block unemployment benefits is fairly high). An EEOC complaint is a lot less difficult and expensive to go through than a lawsuit, and a lawyer is probably going to tell you to get that on file first. If EEOC finds proof of discrimination, that would make a lawsuit a lot easier.

Not that I am recommending a lawsuit. I worked for a company where I was the victim of workplace bullying an overall toxic environment, and discrimination for not being Japanese in a Japanese company. I guess I could have tried to sue, but moving on, forgetting about them and getting a job I've had for 6+ years and love was a far better investment in my time and emotional well-being. In your case, if you are over 40, I'd file the EEOC complaint and leave it at that. Not because you're looking for money, but because they shouldn't get away with it if that is what happened here.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:48 AM

3,460 posts, read 1,954,222 times
Quote:
I'm sure you can find an attorney who will take all your money, but you are misguided into thinking you have been wronged. Find a better job, improve your skills, update your resume.

A bad corporate fit can me a lot of things.

Such as:
Quote:
They didn't find your friendly to co-workers.
Didn't like your use of "2" instead of "to" in English grammar.
You spoke in a condescending manner when talking to customers.
You never flushed the toilets in the restrooms.
You wrote on the walls in the office.
You ran in the halls.
You make prank phone calls on company time.
As you can see, there can be a whole host of reasons that why you could be a bad corporate fit and none of these things have to do with labor law.

You didn't notice the millennials, blue hair and piercings during the interviews?

IPODS? Really, iPods? As in those mobile devices made by Apple Computer? What were they doing with them that you had issue that you'd list them?

Old 07-05-2018, 11:14 AM

1,559 posts, read 827,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmonkey View Post
Are you over 40? If so you might be able to go for an age discrimination lawsuit under The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA). File a Charge of Discrimination with the EEOC

https://www.eeoc.gov/employees/charge.cfm

You have 180 days to take action, but if you are going this route I would recommend doing so now, even before you file for unemployment. It could help you if your former employer tried to block your unemployment benefits by claiming they fired you for cause (though the burden on them to prove cause to block unemployment benefits is fairly high). An EEOC complaint is a lot less difficult and expensive to go through than a lawsuit, and a lawyer is probably going to tell you to get that on file first. If EEOC finds proof of discrimination, that would make a lawsuit a lot easier.

Not that I am recommending a lawsuit. I worked for a company where I was the victim of workplace bullying an overall toxic environment, and discrimination for not being Japanese in a Japanese company. I guess I could have tried to sue, but moving on, forgetting about them and getting a job I've had for 6+ years and love was a far better investment in my time and emotional well-being. In your case, if you are over 40, I'd file the EEOC complaint and leave it at that. Not because you're looking for money, but because they shouldn't get away with it if that is what happened here.
Since OP was recently hired it would be virtually impossible/implausible he was termed for age discrimination. The employer had 3 interview opportunities to deny employment based on age.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:32 AM

330 posts, read 199,032 times
You were not a victim. After all, they gave you a chance. Sometimes things just don't work out.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:28 PM

11,304 posts, read 5,834,479 times
I suppose the OP could sue for wrongful termination and their former employer would settle rather than pay all the legal fees. Good luck ever getting another job in your sector after you pull that stunt.

I've bailed out of three different jobs at 90 days over my career. Bad fit and I made it my personal business to find something better. I've also been in situations where it was pretty obvious that I was going to get laid off. My life is structured so a bunch of down time is no big deal if it takes me a while to line up my next thing. This isn't 1960 where you work with one company for life and retire with the gold watch. The older I get, the longer it takes to line up my next thing when it happens. I'm totally exposed to global competition and have been working for Asian companies since 2009. The new world.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:32 PM

6,426 posts, read 2,340,871 times
Age discrimination. But you need some proof of that. Such as copies of emails, notes, etc. any witnesses to anything said that might have been discriminatory. Discrimination is very hard to prove and it's hard to win these types of cases. Even when someone was really discriminated against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or