U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 01:00 PM

9,871 posts, read 8,028,136 times

Advertisements

Give it to my 3 grown children and let them figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 01:07 PM

8,795 posts, read 2,425,886 times
I'm been in a similar position (extra income sometimes) and have invested it all in relatively passive activities. Being a landlord is big step DOWN....so why should I use money to lower myself? I'd rather invest in a RE REIT and get most of the profits with none of the hassles.

We helped all of our children through college and grad school, helped them with their first cars and also helped with them buying their first homes. That gave them enough of a head start to stay ahead of the game (and they have)....

Otherwise, we invest it so it grows and allows us not to do things we don't want to do (work at jobs just for $$, etc.)...and provide financial security in our older years.

Can't imagine what else to do with it! We currently already have a couple houses..and plenty to eat...and health insurance...and two cars.

After a certain point - at least to the sane - money does not buy happiness. It does buy security, which is the whole idea.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:13 PM

4,126 posts, read 3,416,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
If like my daughter, med school loans can be at zero or very low interest. And in many cases there are ways to forgive or pay off the loan. Either through public service or by joining with a hospital that will pay the loan off as a bonus.

So paying the school loans off may not be the best/first thing to do. Depending on your best guess on other future investment returns.

RE is very local, so you will need intimate knowledge and proper timing. A group of diversified no/low load mutual funds would probably make the most sense for young docs. Especially as they have their brains and time seriously locked on and into medicine.
So all the claims that people who are in the medical fields have stifling loans to pay back are exaggerated?
If so why would someone do public service at a much lower income for like 10'years or so?
I did say investing in the market was the easiest no brainer, especially if there is a long term to wait until retirement and they were locked into medicine.
My friend is a doctor and still had time to invest in real estate. Over the last few years he has more than doubled his money not to mention the rental cash flow and possible tax deductions.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:04 PM

8,301 posts, read 3,469,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
So all the claims that people who are in the medical fields have stifling loans to pay back are exaggerated?
If so why would someone do public service at a much lower income for like 10'years or so?
I did say investing in the market was the easiest no brainer, especially if there is a long term to wait until retirement and they were locked into medicine.
My friend is a doctor and still had time to invest in real estate. Over the last few years he has more than doubled his money not to mention the rental cash flow and possible tax deductions.
Med school loans certainly can be large, and maybe not even no or low interest. Many new docs coming to our small town join up with our hospital and some of their loans paid off as a bonus.

RE is not only very locale dependent, but timing dependent. I know people in RE that went under with the 2008 crash. Of course the last few years have been more golden, not unlike the run up to the crash.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:03 AM

4,126 posts, read 3,416,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Med school loans certainly can be large, and maybe not even no or low interest. Many new docs coming to our small town join up with our hospital and some of their loans paid off as a bonus.

RE is not only very locale dependent, but timing dependent. I know people in RE that went under with the 2008 crash. Of course the last few years have been more golden, not unlike the run up to the crash.
Hmm interesting about the loans being paid off.
Real Estate will not crash like before because of the loan changes. It may slow down it's growth or maybe go flat, but thee aren't very many toxic loans out there. I would love a crash as the last one will probably never offer those buying opportunities in our lifetimes.
If you try to buy real estate hoping it will appreciate then its speculation and gambling, not investing. If you are buying and forcing equity and going for cash flow, you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or