U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 12:41 AM

669 posts, read 528,726 times

Advertisements

the only thing i really notice about anyone's residence is how clean it is. i've been to very large, expensive homes but the mess and clutter are a real turn off. i've been to very small homes but they are very clean and nicely decorated and those are far more impressive. my house costs $500k but it's small and old but i work really hard to keep it very clutter free and nicely decorated to make up for the size and age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 03:22 AM

526 posts, read 142,376 times
Is he interested in possibly adopting a pup or does he just want to see them? If the latter I'd probably just show him a few pics of them next time you see him and leave it at that. I'm an avoider of awkward/uncomfortable situations in general.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:03 AM

15,569 posts, read 9,642,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
So my dog recently had pups, and my boss who is a CFO of a mulit million dollar company, was interested in our pups. This guy lives in a 500k house and drives a tesla. So he is pretty set for life.. He wants to come and visit me and the dogs, and here im the poor man living in a 75 single wide trailer, in a trailer park.. as some might call us trailer park trash. .But we are the cleanest community around. yards mowed, trailers are kept clean and updated. Just doesnt feel right or comfortable. Wife got mad at me for downgrading us, as we arent "poor" by her standards, but my standards is yea ,were poor.. one step up from being homeless, or one job lost away from living on the streets poor. Any advice? Put this in economics as this about it at personal level.

I have worked side by side with multi millionaires all my life, and I am not. I have even had some to my home for a Christmas party years ago, when I didn't have a pot. They had a great time, we treated them like regular folks, and that was that.

I understand your hesitance to do this, but be proud of what you have and think nothing about it. In addition, it will bond you even more with your boss, and you might move up the food chain a little.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:36 AM

9,834 posts, read 5,715,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
the only thing i really notice about anyone's residence is how clean it is. i've been to very large, expensive homes but the mess and clutter are a real turn off. i've been to very small homes but they are very clean and nicely decorated and those are far more impressive. my house costs $500k but it's small and old but i work really hard to keep it very clutter free and nicely decorated to make up for the size and age.
You have a half a million dollar home and feel you have to make up for anything?

This thread belongs in Psychology.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:12 AM

4,377 posts, read 1,487,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Yea we are clean and maintenance pays the mowers twice a week to mow, and any maintenance is fixed in 24 hours. Just hate having classy visitors coming over and a home that is over 30 years old and got that old age smell that you cant get rid. Some of you know what i mean.. lol.. Feel emberresed more then anything else. Like the idea on what the salaries they pay us gets us, but then you will get that well manage your money right attitude.

anybody been in this situation.. ( not for vising pups) just to come and visit. I mean this guy never invited anybody to his house and he asking to come and visit mine. Guess he feels that inviting the poor man over seems like he rubbing his money in our face.. ( if you work harder you can obtain this attitude). To me, if you pay me more then i could be my response. lol.. but back to the advice.

Ummm...doesn't it make more sense that he come to YOUR place to see a litter of puppies that YOUR dog had at YOUR home?

Do you really want to pack up all the puppies and their mama and take them to his house? I'm sure he thought what he suggested was making it easier on you.

But hey, if you want to pack up all the puppies, maybe you could suggest meeting at a local park or something.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:02 AM

18,975 posts, read 10,032,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Presumably he could also be living above his means, in deep debt, paying alimony, paying for private school, living paycheck to paycheck, owes taxes, has a $900+ care note, owes student loans, pays high property taxes, and saves little to nothing for retirement.

That's the point, the OP claims his boss is set for life and puts him on a pedestal with no evidence whatsoever besides two items everyone has: a car and a house.

The OP's boss is not some God, he's a regular human like everyone else.
that could of course be true. But given that this happens to be specifically about the chief financial officer of a large company, I'm going to go with the base assumption that he does in fact have some financial savvy and is less likely to be the type to be living far above his means paycheck to paycheck with a house and a car he can't actually afford.

That doesn't mean he's not a regular human, of course.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:16 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,086,754 times
People living in the ghettos of NYC have larger apartments in nicer buildings than me for the same or lower price, so what. We all breathe the same air, no reason to feel a Keeping Up With The Jones moment. $500k also doesn't sound like a lot, but I'm used to high COL.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:21 AM

37 posts, read 29,798 times
500K gets you a 5000sf home in the best parts of town where OP lives.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:23 AM

526 posts, read 142,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
that could of course be true. But given that this happens to be specifically about the chief financial officer of a large company, I'm going to go with the base assumption that he does in fact have some financial savvy and is less likely to be the type to be living far above his means paycheck to paycheck with a house and a car he can't actually afford.

That doesn't mean he's not a regular human, of course.
This. There are many, many people who appear to be millionaires, but don't actually have any net worth. They have multiple mortgages equaling more than their homes are worth and can have hundreds of thousands of dollars in credit card debt and are paying minimum balances each month. Appearances are everything for these people.

On the other hand, there are many people who appear middle class, driving 10 year old vehicles and living in $200k homes who are millionaires. They got that way through accumulation, smart investing, but most importantly not buying crap they don't need.
Bottom line is you can't judge a book by it's cover. Not everyone lives at their means, most either live below or above it.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:33 AM

7,183 posts, read 4,632,035 times
It is what it is man, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. I would let him come see the puppies, he probably knows more about your neighbor then you would think. His interest is with dogs, and not your house. Maybe you will get a raise out of it, who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or