Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 12:38 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
So my dog recently had pups, and my boss who is a CFO of a mulit million dollar company, was interested in our pups. This guy lives in a 500k house and drives a tesla. So he is pretty set for life.. He wants to come and visit me and the dogs, and here im the poor man living in a 75 single wide trailer, in a trailer park.. as some might call us trailer park trash. .But we are the cleanest community around. yards mowed, trailers are kept clean and updated. Just doesnt feel right or comfortable. Wife got mad at me for downgrading us, as we arent "poor" by her standards, but my standards is yea ,were poor.. one step up from being homeless, or one job lost away from living on the streets poor. Any advice? Put this in economics as this about it at personal level.
??? There are millions of 500K houses around. Nothing special or unusual about that these days. In fact, if he's such a tycoon he could just as easily choose to live in a McMansion. He doesn't. A house of that value isn't extravagant. For the same reason he could buy some highbred designer dog from an overseas breeder and fly it over. He didn't. He's looking at one bred by an employee of his own company. Someone he knows and works with. Probably someone he respects. So what if he drives a Tesla. Many people buy them because they are interested in the technology, giving a small company their support for what they might be able to accomplish, not the status. He could just as easily choose some ridiculous impractical Lamborghini but didn't. Just because you have money doesn't mean you can't be trash. Just because you don't have money doesn't mean you are.

TBH, He sounds like someone who doesn't really set much stock in superficial appearances. He sounds like someone who looks underneath the flash and "trappings". From what you wrote I suspect the person with the living standards hangup might be you. Look at it this way. When he does visit he'll see how much attention and effort you and the neighbors you put into your homes. That speaks to a lot more important things than money.

If you get rid of the should chip you might just find a human underneath your CFO after all. Hope likes your dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 12:42 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

Well, maybe it can't hurt for the CFO of a multi million dollar company to see what kind of lifestyle is supported by the salaries they pay.

But I don't know why you would feel that badly - sounds like you are living in a well kept home in a nice community. Even if it's a trailer park, there is definitely a difference between nice ones and trashy ones (by the way, same applies to non-trailer park communities too, many of those are also trashy)
That's what I was thinking.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:59 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
The fact that he wants to come see your dogs makes me want to like him. Snooty people go to breeders.

Is there a way you can have the dogs penned up in the yard so he doesn't have to come inside?

Old 07-06-2018, 01:04 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
Just because you are embarrassed by living in a trailer park doesn't mean your boss will think anything about it all. You are projecting your own insecurities on him which is not fair. He wouldn't be much of a person if he judged someone based on where they live. You said your property and home are clean and well maintained, so you have nothing to be ashamed about. Just show him the puppies, offer him a drink (it need not be alcoholic) and be proud of who you are. The fact that you have a job, a roof over your head, clean clothes and food are things a lot of people don't have. There will always be people who are better off financially than others but don't judge them, just like you are worried that they may judge you. Count your blessings!

Old 07-06-2018, 01:12 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,085 times
I agree with the poster who said it would do boss man good to see how his workers are living. There's nothing wrong with your set-up. But he needs to see the income disparity first-hand.

And while he's there: apologize for nothing. He's on your turf now. Be a decent host, but don't grovel about a thing (not that you would.)

Old 07-06-2018, 01:17 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
Maybe think of this another way- this puppy situation has given you an opportunity to forge a slightly closer connection to this guy. Who knows where that might lead in the future? Think of it as networking rather than him coming over to judge your house.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:18 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
So my dog recently had pups, and my boss who is a CFO of a mulit million dollar company, was interested in our pups. This guy lives in a 500k house and drives a tesla. So he is pretty set for life.. He wants to come and visit me and the dogs, and here im the poor man living in a 75 single wide trailer, in a trailer park.. as some might call us trailer park trash. .But we are the cleanest community around. yards mowed, trailers are kept clean and updated. Just doesnt feel right or comfortable. Wife got mad at me for downgrading us, as we arent "poor" by her standards, but my standards is yea ,were poor.. one step up from being homeless, or one job lost away from living on the streets poor. Any advice? Put this in economics as this about it at personal level.
this post is adorable especially the bolded part.

i agree with your wife. dont sell yourself short. there is nothing wrong with how you are living, the guy wont have any issues with it.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:36 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
I can relate to how you feel, since I felt that way when I was younger since I came from a working class background.

My situation is different now and I do pretty well. I will say that you should not be ashamed of your home or not having a lot of wealth. It's more common than you think for people to live check to check; even some of the ones who DO live in the big houses in developments. I don't think any less of anyone based on their financial circumstances and will tell you that money doesn't buy class, common sense, or manners. Your visitor may very well have come from a working class or middle class background himself and worked his way up like I did. I am very comfortable in working class areas/trailer parks and middle class areas--it sounds like this is the case with your visitor since he is coming to visit you rather than simply go to a breeder.

One of the negatives of being in management is that people sometimes get intimidated by title and it happens to me. Just treat your visitor with regular courtesy as you would anyone else and it will be appreciated.

Life isn't a competition to see who can get the most toys/money. Don't let this nervousness cloud things and relax.

I'm sure that this guy will enjoy visiting

Old 07-06-2018, 01:59 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I can relate to how you feel, since I felt that way when I was younger since I came from a working class background.

My situation is different now and I do pretty well. I will say that you should not be ashamed of your home or not having a lot of wealth. It's more common than you think for people to live check to check; even some of the ones who DO live in the big houses in developments. I don't think any less of anyone based on their financial circumstances and will tell you that money doesn't buy class, common sense, or manners. Your visitor may very well have come from a working class or middle class background himself and worked his way up like I did. I am very comfortable in working class areas/trailer parks and middle class areas--it sounds like this is the case with your visitor since he is coming to visit you rather than simply go to a breeder.

One of the negatives of being in management is that people sometimes get intimidated by title and it happens to me. Just treat your visitor with regular courtesy as you would anyone else and it will be appreciated.

Life isn't a competition to see who can get the most toys/money. Don't let this nervousness cloud things and relax.

I'm sure that this guy will enjoy visiting
Maybe thats it.. IF it was any other regular tech that wanted to visit me, i wouldn't care as we are in same working loser class. In fact the 8 people i work with all live in low end housing or trailers and were close nit family. So we expect to see dirty laundry in the bathroom, or dishes in the sink. We attend to stick to our "kind". But him asking to visit just throws me off and didnt want to be rude and say no, "stick with your kind".

Old 07-06-2018, 02:11 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Maybe thats it.. IF it was any other regular tech that wanted to visit me, i wouldn't care as we are in same working loser class. In fact the 8 people i work with all live in low end housing or trailers and were close nit family. So we expect to see dirty laundry in the bathroom, or dishes in the sink. We attend to stick to our "kind". But him asking to visit just throws me off and didnt want to be rude and say no, "stick with your kind".
my wife didnt have any money growing up but man she doesnt let me get away with any dirty laundry laying around or leaving dirty dishes laying around. when anyone comes over, she cleans up no matter who it is. everybody thinks my house is spotless at all times. the truth is, it pretty much is but not quite as much as when people come over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics