U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 11:04 AM

874 posts, read 373,767 times

Advertisements

Boss is interested in your wife. There's no need to worry about where you live, you got attraction in your house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 11:11 AM

789 posts, read 1,788,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Just ask him outright if he minds coming to a home in a trailer park.
Whatever you do, don't do this.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:16 PM

25,876 posts, read 49,802,708 times
It can be intimidating but more so it is a frame of mind...

You could offer to bring the pups to him... I have done this for friends in my company and one is the Hospital Administrator... her home is very nice but nothing out the ordinary as she started in the Secretarial Pool at age 18 doing medical transcription eons ago...

Here is a small but related true story...

I have been in the antique auto hobby since I was a teen... over the years I have acquired/restored some interesting cars...

Through one of the clubs... I met the Senior VP or number 2 man at a Fortune 50 company of about 40,000 employees world wide and he wanted to take pictures of my 1905 Oldsmobile Horseless Carriage.

I keep the car at a garage at a apartment house I manage...

Anyway... we set up Saturday at 9 to meet... he is right on time and nice as can be... very well dressed and driving whatever the top Lincoln auto was for that year...

The woman next door comes over to complain about kids playing and making a fool of herself... she may have been drinking and her choice of words was unfiltered... apparently, balls from the play area were ending up in her yard...

She stops and thinks the Fortune 50 VP is the property owner and then starts complaining to him and says "I know you..." so he introduces himself... she turns white as a sheet... she just met her bosses bosses bosses bosses boss and acting the fool... and then runs off.

He did ask me if this is her normal demeanor... which I had to say yes... it often is.

She is a customer service rep for the company... go figure?

So yes... things can go badly when people act like fools...

Old 07-07-2018, 01:00 PM

386 posts, read 147,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
So my dog recently had pups, and my boss who is a CFO of a mulit million dollar company, was interested in our pups. This guy lives in a 500k house and drives a tesla. So he is pretty set for life.. He wants to come and visit me and the dogs, and here im the poor man living in a 75 single wide trailer, in a trailer park.. as some might call us trailer park trash. .But we are the cleanest community around. yards mowed, trailers are kept clean and updated. Just doesnt feel right or comfortable. Wife got mad at me for downgrading us, as we arent "poor" by her standards, but my standards is yea ,were poor.. one step up from being homeless, or one job lost away from living on the streets poor. Any advice? Put this in economics as this about it at personal level.
Maybe he is simply interested in looking at your pups and probably will like to buy one, or he might expect you to give him one as a gift, I don't know.

For whatever reason, if you decide to sell or give one of your pups to him, I would not worry too much. You're a married man, not a single poor girl or woman, so you don't need to worry about if he would take advantage of you.

You have nothing to feel ashamed about. Not all people in the world can have high position and be rich. You work hard and support yourself, that's something to be proud of. Just treat him with respect, politeness and friendliness as you would treat any of your friends.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:53 PM

24,760 posts, read 26,848,973 times
Quote:
So my dog recently had pups, and my boss who is a CFO of a mulit million dollar company, was interested in our pups. This guy lives in a 500k house and drives a tesla. So he is pretty set for life.. He wants to come and visit me and the dogs, and here im the poor man living in a 75 single wide trailer, in a trailer park.. as some might call us trailer park trash. .But we are the cleanest community around. yards mowed, trailers are kept clean and updated. Just doesnt feel right or comfortable. Wife got mad at me for downgrading us, as we arent "poor" by her standards, but my standards is yea ,were poor.. one step up from being homeless, or one job lost away from living on the streets poor. Any advice? Put this in economics as this about it at personal level.
1. You don't actually know if he's set for life or not. Some people spend everything they make, no matter what their income is.

2. For all you know, he might see advantages to your more basic lifestyle that you seem ashamed of. When you reach his level, the demands of the job and the typical high expense lifestyle that goes with it can be very stressful. Although he may not want your lifestyle, there's a good chance he doesn't care that you live in a trailer one way or the other.

3. I wonder why you are so concerned about what other people think???? The guy knows you don't live the same lifestyle he does, and he still wants to see your pups.

4. Your wife is right.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Well, maybe it can't hurt for the CFO of a multi million dollar company to see what kind of lifestyle is supported by the salaries they pay.

But I don't know why you would feel that badly - sounds like you are living in a well kept home in a nice community. Even if it's a trailer park, there is definitely a difference between nice ones and trashy ones (by the way, same applies to non-trailer park communities too, many of those are also trashy)
Yes, I agree.

At one of my jobs, I used to visit people in their homes, all types of places. Apartments, single family homes, trailer parks. There are people with cute places and dumpy places no matter what type of housing it is.

I still remember this one very Christian-y older couple who lived in a trailer park. It wasn't even that great in that it had a lot of concrete and asphalt. But it was a clean and well kept park. I didn't care for their taste in furnishings, but their place was as neat as a pin and they were such nice people. They had a cute covered porch off the side which was really nice as we have very good weather 7-8 months of the year where I live.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I......see things what they are.......I am the half glass empty guy..

^^Those two statements are in conflict with each other.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
"Kind"? Don't people who drive Teslas and live in 500K houses get their clothes dirty, need to do laundry, need to eat, or leave dishes in a sink? Do all "working class" people have to live like slobs or can't they pick up their laundry or wash a dish? Why do you keep defining yourself by this sense of "working" class as if it's beneath everyone else? At bottom, any person who works a job is working class (and yes, I do understand the original meaning behind the term). Your CFO works a job just like you do. Even if he didn't have to work for a living he chose to. His family may be just as close knit, just as determined, just as worthy as yours.

Social classes exist because the people in them insist on preserving them. They can get this strange sense of security from never giving them up. It means they don't have to think outside the box they created for themselves. Ever heard of reverse snobbery? Give your boss a chance to be human.
Wow! Very well said.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:17 PM

9,786 posts, read 7,670,927 times
Look, just make some iced tea and bake some chocolate chip cookies (slice and bake is okay) to offer your guest (smell of fresh cookies counters that old place mustiness), make sure the bathroom is clean and fresh towels are laid out, wash and put away the dishes, tidy up the living room, run the vacuum and wash the kitchen and bathroom floors, and you'll be fine.

Focus is going to be on those cute pups, anyway.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:30 PM

4,644 posts, read 1,161,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And as I pointed out upthread, that would be relevant IF the OP lived in Hawaii. Or in Denver, where I live.

But given that the median price of a house in the US is just over 200K, meaning half of all houses are below that, it's very likely the OP lives someplace where houses are at, or very possibly below the median. In which case, a 500K house could be several multiples more expensive than the homes most people in the area live in. And yes, it could very well be "living large" in that particular community.
The OP lives in a trailer park. Unless you also live in a trailer park, $500K isn't "living large" or "expensive" by any stretch of the imagination in the world's richest country. $500K puts you in a working class neighborhood with crappy public schools in every single city in America. Poor people have section 8 vouchers and 23 years olds have VA loans worth $500K.

Nor is driving a Tesla that anyone with decent credit can finance "living large." The OP even said his boss was "set for life."

The first rule into climbing the social ladder, and having some confidence which the OP needs, is to not believe those above you in the social ladder are untouchable Greek Gods.

The OP doesn't even feel worthy to have his boss come over to buy some dogs. That's an alarming feeling of inferiority complex that many trailer park inhabits display.

Bottom line, the "set for life boss" in the OP is just middle class at best and not at a status the OP can't obtain with some good ol' fashion education and hard work.

Last edited by Rocko20; 07-07-2018 at 04:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or