U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 05:24 PM

10,423 posts, read 7,508,792 times

Advertisements

Make him feel welcome! Have a pot of coffee on and some brownies. Or a cold beer and some wangs.

You should be proud that you (and your neighbors) aren't homeless. You keep your places straight and you Enjoy life. You sound rich to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 05:37 PM

21,564 posts, read 26,178,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
$500K puts you in a working class neighborhood with crappy public schools in every single city in America.
Do you have any stats to support that statement?

I assure you it is not true where I live.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 07-07-2018 at 05:55 PM..

Old 07-07-2018, 05:48 PM

10,647 posts, read 3,333,649 times
Quote:
The OP lives in a trailer park. Unless you also live in a trailer park, $500K isn't "living large" or "expensive" by any stretch of the imagination in the world's richest country. $500K puts you in a working class neighborhood with crappy public schools in every single city in America. Poor people have section 8 vouchers and 23 years olds have VA loans worth $500K.

Nor is driving a Tesla that anyone with decent credit can finance "living large." The OP even said his boss was "set for life."

The first rule into climbing the social ladder, and having some confidence which the OP needs, is to not believe those above you in the social ladder are untouchable Greek Gods.

The OP doesn't even feel worthy to have his boss come over to buy some dogs. That's an alarming feeling of inferiority complex that many trailer park inhabits display.

Bottom line, the "set for life boss" in the OP is just middle class at best and not at a status the OP can't obtain with some good ol' fashion education and hard work.

Maybe in Hawaii, but not in most states. $500k where I live (which is 38 miles from downtown Chicago) gets you a 3,500-4,000 sq ft house in a fantastic school district. Same hold true from the town I moved from in Illinois!

Old 07-07-2018, 06:11 PM

598 posts, read 156,268 times
Quote:
The OP lives in a trailer park. Unless you also live in a trailer park, $500K isn't "living large" or "expensive" by any stretch of the imagination in the world's richest country. $500K puts you in a working class neighborhood with crappy public schools in every single city in America. Poor people have section 8 vouchers and 23 years olds have VA loans worth $500K.

Nor is driving a Tesla that anyone with decent credit can finance "living large." The OP even said his boss was "set for life."

The first rule into climbing the social ladder, and having some confidence which the OP needs, is to not believe those above you in the social ladder are untouchable Greek Gods.

The OP doesn't even feel worthy to have his boss come over to buy some dogs. That's an alarming feeling of inferiority complex that many trailer park inhabits display.

Bottom line, the "set for life boss" in the OP is just middle class at best and not at a status the OP can't obtain with some good ol' fashion education and hard work.
This is an incredibly ignorant, condescending, out of touch post. I'd tear it apart but I don't have the energy or know where to start.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:01 PM

4,559 posts, read 2,787,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
So my dog recently had pups, and my boss who is a CFO of a mulit million dollar company, was interested in our pups. This guy lives in a 500k house and drives a tesla. So he is pretty set for life.. He wants to come and visit me and the dogs, and here im the poor man living in a 75 single wide trailer, in a trailer park.. as some might call us trailer park trash. .But we are the cleanest community around. yards mowed, trailers are kept clean and updated. Just doesnt feel right or comfortable. Wife got mad at me for downgrading us, as we arent "poor" by her standards, but my standards is yea ,were poor.. one step up from being homeless, or one job lost away from living on the streets poor. Any advice? Put this in economics as this about it at personal level.
Sounds like a neat neighborhood...Don't worry. I have seen limos in trailer parks...

Old 07-07-2018, 07:11 PM

4,126 posts, read 3,418,882 times
Quote:
So misinformed and full of BS. . . . Here where I am at you can buy a house for $250K easily and less if so inclined. The high school is ranked number 4 in the state out of over 400.
$500K buys you a 5000 to 6000 sq ft home and a 3 car garage.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:31 PM

4,658 posts, read 1,164,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Do you have any stats to support that statement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
So misinformed and full of BS. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
This is an incredibly ignorant, condescending, out of touch post. I'd tear it apart but I don't have the energy or know where to start.
Facts are facts:
Quote:
The top-ranked school districts are invariably the most expensive, with median home prices that crest $1 million and six-figure median incomes to match.
To buy in good school district, look beyond rankings
Quote:
Home values inside top-rated school districts were 49 percent higher than the national median home price, according to a 2016 study by Realtor.com, which analyzed data from the residential listing database and school district ratings from GreatSchools.org.

And even dropping from a 10 to a 9 can have a big effect on home values. For example, in Dallas County, Texas, the Highland Park Independent School District (ISD) has an average school rating of 10. In this area, the typical home for sale is, on average, 632 percent more expensive than your typical American home.
https://www.opendoor.com/blog/how-sc...ct-home-prices

Takeaway: Homes in excellent public school districts (9+ score) come at a premium and that premium is typically more than $500K due to supply and demand.

The OP's boss is not "set for life."

Last edited by Rocko20; 07-07-2018 at 07:56 PM..

Old 07-07-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Facts are facts:

Your Home Might Be More Expensive If It's Near A Good School | Money

Takeaway: Homes in excellent public school districts (9+ score) come at a premium and that premium is typically more than $500K due to supply and demand.

The OP's boss is not "set for life."
The US middle class is shrinking and the lower class is growing. As home prices become out of reach, more and more people are becoming rent slaves. To say the avg working class person lives in a half million dollar home makes me think you must live on an island full of incredibly rich people and have a very skewed vision of the rest of society.
Oh wait...

Old 07-07-2018, 07:59 PM

4,658 posts, read 1,164,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
The US middle class is shrinking and the lower class is growing. As homes prices become out of reach, more and more people are becoming rent slaves. To say the avg working class person lives in a half billion dollar home makes me think you must live on an island full of incredibly rich people and have a very skewed vision of the rest of society.
Oh wait...
My only point is the OP's boss is not "set for life."

I don't know what your point is. I worked hard to live on this island full of "rich people." I certainly didn't do it by gawking at my previous bosses who had more than me at the time.

You'll never be your own boss by thinking your current boss is some Greek God.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:04 PM

Guess what Rocko, not everyone can be rich. Take an economics course some time, there is a pyramid structure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or