Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 09:21 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Facts are facts:

To buy in good school district, look beyond rankings

https://www.opendoor.com/blog/how-sc...ct-home-prices

Takeaway: Homes in excellent public school districts (9+ score) come at a premium and that premium is typically more than $500K due to supply and demand.

The OP's boss is not "set for life."

Your own link is referring to a handful of expensive towns in Massachusetts, not all over the country - and not even in large cities.

Quote:
But while everyone wants to do right by their kids and give them the opportunity to get a good education, we can’t all afford to live in Lexington.

Or Dover. Or Concord. Or Weston. Or Newton. Or . . . well, you get the point. The top-ranked school districts are invariably the most expensive, with median home prices that crest $1 million and six-figure median incomes to match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 04:42 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Don't be such a snob. It wouldn't occur to me to have an issue with my highly paid boss coming to my modest home. Then again I don't think my house smells bad and it's more than thirty years old like most houses in my area. Houses that smell bad may have rot, mildew issues or pets- sometimes.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:03 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Your own link is referring to a handful of expensive towns in Massachusetts, not all over the country - and not even in large cities.
That doesn't undermine the fact that $500K is not "set for life" as the OP claims.

I'm not sure why everyone is bent on believing the OP is some impoverished helpless soul who can't achieve the easily obtainable status of his boss.

Wow the boss even drives a Tesla, it might as well be a Lamborghini.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:04 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
I'd invite him and get over it. I'm sure he's aware that not everyone is as rich as he is. When I was a kid, other kids would definitely judge poor kids' homes, but this guy should be more mature than that.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:19 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times
I understand your feelings and I just might feel the same. We had a wise neighbor once who told me (after I was lamenting a friend's newly remodeled, gorgeous kitchen and feeling full of envy):

She said: "If you compare yourself to those who have more than you, you'll always be dissatisfied"

"But if you compare yourself to those who have less, you'll always feel fortunate."

A great learning experience for me.

And I do feel fortunate, indeed even though we live simply and our home is cute and charming but simple and certainly not a mansion -- mini--or otherwise.

When envy rears its ugly head,as it does, from time to time, I reflect on my friend's words...calms me right down...

If your boss comes over, be yourself and extend the kind of hospitality you'd extend to a friend or family -- no more -- no less. I can tell you're a good person and that will shine through!

Old 07-08-2018, 07:44 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
That doesn't undermine the fact that $500K is not "set for life" as the OP claims.

I'm not sure why everyone is bent on believing the OP is some impoverished helpless soul who can't achieve the easily obtainable status of his boss.

Wow the boss even drives a Tesla, it might as well be a Lamborghini.
Presumably he has assets other than his house, and could very well have millions in the bank. It's not something OP is in any position to know, after all.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:05 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
If there is any "off-odor" in the house, or if the house is not sparkling clean, I would not invite the boss over, period.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:07 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Presumably he has assets other than his house, and could very well have millions in the bank. It's not something OP is in any position to know, after all.
Presumably he could also be living above his means, in deep debt, paying alimony, paying for private school, living paycheck to paycheck, owes taxes, has a $900+ care note, owes student loans, pays high property taxes, and saves little to nothing for retirement.

That's the point, the OP claims his boss is set for life and puts him on a pedestal with no evidence whatsoever besides two items everyone has: a car and a house.

The OP's boss is not some God, he's a regular human like everyone else.

Last edited by Rocko20; 07-09-2018 at 12:34 AM..

Old 07-09-2018, 12:25 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,954,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
So my dog recently had pups, and my boss who is a CFO of a mulit million dollar company, was interested in our pups. This guy lives in a 500k house and drives a tesla. So he is pretty set for life.. He wants to come and visit me and the dogs, and here im the poor man living in a 75 single wide trailer, in a trailer park.. as some might call us trailer park trash. .But we are the cleanest community around. yards mowed, trailers are kept clean and updated. Just doesnt feel right or comfortable. Wife got mad at me for downgrading us, as we arent "poor" by her standards, but my standards is yea ,were poor.. one step up from being homeless, or one job lost away from living on the streets poor. Any advice? Put this in economics as this about it at personal level.

Never allow another mere mortal to compromise your own feelings of worth. If it is so impacting, don't permit him access. make up any story you wish in order to nullify the visit.

I don't recognise this as normal' CEO behaviour. I want to know why the decision to visit you? In order to achieve what? Status differences, suggest you will never become 'friends'. It could be an interest to see how the less advantaged folk live. I have known folk in position, express a curiosity of sorts in that regard.

Don't allow yourself to become an object of curiosity, if that indeed it what it is. It's your call, not at all obliged to accept, in fact I wouldn't if in your shoes, accept anyone at all into my home, whom I was not comfortable in hosting and had an invite.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:32 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
So my dog recently had pups, and my boss who is a CFO of a mulit million dollar company, was interested in our pups. This guy lives in a 500k house and drives a tesla. So he is pretty set for life.. He wants to come and visit me and the dogs, and here im the poor man living in a 75 single wide trailer, in a trailer park.. as some might call us trailer park trash. .But we are the cleanest community around. yards mowed, trailers are kept clean and updated. Just doesnt feel right or comfortable. Wife got mad at me for downgrading us, as we arent "poor" by her standards, but my standards is yea ,were poor.. one step up from being homeless, or one job lost away from living on the streets poor. Any advice? Put this in economics as this about it at personal level.
You step up and invite this man over. Don't ever be ashamed of where you live.
You might be surprised by his visit.....I'll bet you'll find out he is genuine.

And, most folks who are wealthy now......made it through by their own hard work and have nothing but respect for someone who is working hard and trying their best, just like you. You should honestly know this can sometimes be a very good thing in the business world.

Invite him over, let your sweet wife handle the situation, because she knows her worth. You got this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics