Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 11:27 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,913,234 times

Advertisements

So my dog recently had pups, and my boss who is a CFO of a mulit million dollar company, was interested in our pups. This guy lives in a 500k house and drives a tesla. So he is pretty set for life.. He wants to come and visit me and the dogs, and here im the poor man living in a 75 single wide trailer, in a trailer park.. as some might call us trailer park trash. .But we are the cleanest community around. yards mowed, trailers are kept clean and updated. Just doesnt feel right or comfortable. Wife got mad at me for downgrading us, as we arent "poor" by her standards, but my standards is yea ,were poor.. one step up from being homeless, or one job lost away from living on the streets poor. Any advice? Put this in economics as this about it at personal level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 11:30 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
You aren’t any less of a person because you have less money. You’re from where you’re from. Just have a normal conversation and show him the pups.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:32 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Well, maybe it can't hurt for the CFO of a multi million dollar company to see what kind of lifestyle is supported by the salaries they pay.

But I don't know why you would feel that badly - sounds like you are living in a well kept home in a nice community. Even if it's a trailer park, there is definitely a difference between nice ones and trashy ones (by the way, same applies to non-trailer park communities too, many of those are also trashy)

Old 07-06-2018, 11:37 AM

2,746 posts, read 1,779,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
So my dog recently had pups, and my boss who is a CFO of a mulit million dollar company, was interested in our pups. This guy lives in a 500k house and drives a tesla. So he is pretty set for life.. He wants to come and visit me and the dogs, and here im the poor man living in a 75 single wide trailer, in a trailer park.. as some might call us trailer park trash. .But we are the cleanest community around. yards mowed, trailers are kept clean and updated. Just doesnt feel right or comfortable. Wife got mad at me for downgrading us, as we arent "poor" by her standards, but my standards is yea ,were poor.. one step up from being homeless, or one job lost away from living on the streets poor. Any advice? Put this in economics as this about it at personal level.
you can go through all the cliche's (he puts his pants on one leg at a time, etc.) and they're all true. Just be a good host like you would with anybody else, you'll be fine.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Well, maybe it can't hurt for the CFO of a multi million dollar company to see what kind of lifestyle is supported by the salaries they pay.

But I don't know why you would feel that badly - sounds like you are living in a well kept home in a nice community. Even if it's a trailer park, there is definitely a difference between nice ones and trashy ones (by the way, same applies to non-trailer park communities too, many of those are also trashy)
Yea we are clean and maintenance pays the mowers twice a week to mow, and any maintenance is fixed in 24 hours. Just hate having classy visitors coming over and a home that is over 30 years old and got that old age smell that you cant get rid. Some of you know what i mean.. lol.. Feel emberresed more then anything else. Like the idea on what the salaries they pay us gets us, but then you will get that well manage your money right attitude.

anybody been in this situation.. ( not for vising pups) just to come and visit. I mean this guy never invited anybody to his house and he asking to come and visit mine. Guess he feels that inviting the poor man over seems like he rubbing his money in our face.. ( if you work harder you can obtain this attitude). To me, if you pay me more then i could be my response. lol.. but back to the advice.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:04 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,182,616 times
I think you're putting far more into this then you should; You're projecting what you feel / think your inadequacies are relative to your company.

Just be yourself, be a good host and if for whatever reasoning he ends up having some sort of issue - that's all on him. That's his hang up, not yours.

I have some family and a couple of friends that are for lack of a better term, extremely well off. I'm middle / low on the social economic scale depending on the year. When they come over, they get the same treatment that any other plebeian would.

Be nice, be yourself, short of that, **** it

Old 07-06-2018, 12:11 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Any advice? Put this in economics as this about it at personal level.
Are your toilets scrubbed clean? Get over it.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:16 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
You never know what kind of background he or his extended family came from. And just because he lives in a 500K house and drives a Tesla doesn't necessarily mean he's wealthy. Maybe he just spends money on material things, or is way overloaded in debt.

Invite the guy over and be a gracious host like I'm sure you will be. What kind of pups?

Old 07-06-2018, 12:25 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Just ask him outright if he minds coming to a home in a trailer park. If he has a prejudice, he will think of an excuse to back out. As for the puppies, if he really likes dogs that will take precedence in his mind. Make sure their quarters are clean and they are healthy, as his eyes will be on them. This is an opportunity for you to show how well you do at your financial level and to "bond" a little with the big guy over a common interest.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
You never know what kind of background he or his extended family came from. And just because he lives in a 500K house and drives a Tesla doesn't necessarily mean he's wealthy. Maybe he just spends money on material things, or is way overloaded in debt.

Invite the guy over and be a gracious host like I'm sure you will be. What kind of pups?
Lab/retiver ( non akc) but has parents that are.

mom Black lab-parents AKC
daddy Golden Retriever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie
I think you're putting far more into this then you should; You're projecting what you feel / think your inadequacies are relative to your company.

Just be yourself, be a good host and if for whatever reasoning he ends up having some sort of issue - that's all on him. That's his hang up, not yours.

I have some family and a couple of friends that are for lack of a better term, extremely well off. I'm middle / low on the social economic scale depending on the year. When they come over, they get the same treatment that any other plebeian would.

Be nice, be yourself, short of that, **** it
I just have standards, and see things what they are. Kinda sting a little when wife said she doesnt see us as being poor, when she doesnt realized were a job lost away from being homeless. Thats when you know your poor. I am the half glass empty guy..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics