Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 04:24 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,505,741 times

Advertisements

BTW, he's really checking out the parents of the puppies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 04:28 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Maybe thats it.. IF it was any other regular tech that wanted to visit me, i wouldn't care as we are in same working loser class. In fact the 8 people i work with all live in low end housing or trailers and were close nit family. So we expect to see dirty laundry in the bathroom, or dishes in the sink. We attend to stick to our "kind". But him asking to visit just throws me off and didnt want to be rude and say no, "stick with your kind".
There is no "loser" class

I grew up working class and I certainly don't see people who live in trailers as "losers".

Dirty laundry? Oh geez, then don't take a look in my basement, lol! I didn't do it yet. Well-off people make dirty laundry and dirty dishes, too. I'm always on my daughter about leaving her dirty clothes on the bathroom floor.

Perhaps he is like me and is more comfortable around people who aren't wealthy.

When I transferred to a job down South, the company moved me into a high-end neighborhood and it was very awkward for me since I really had little in common with the people there. I moved out of there after the 6-month lease was up and into just a regular neighborhood. Much better

There is no "kind". You are both human beings...

Old 07-06-2018, 04:37 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
You have an opportunity to make a personal connection with someone in your company with whom you typically wouldn't. Don't be ridiculous, invite him over to see the pups.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:12 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
Hitpausebuttin;

So, what's your problem?

Your boss knows what you make. He knows he isn't coming to a Mcmansion, as you cant afford it. He knows,that.

If it really bothers you, arrange to habe your other half bring a box of the puppies to your work at the end of your shift. Problem of residence solved.

If they are too little to be moved, then bite the bullet, and invite him over. If your trailer and park is,as nice as you say, there will be no problem.

Besides as a poster on first page said, might do well for him to see what you can only afford on your salary.

I live in a 750 sq ft house, sure it's a house but small. I have a bonus room attached to the garage of 150sq ft. It's SMALL.

BUT I WOULD NOT HESITATE to have my Mercedes Benz driving boss over. I'll tell him my 12 year minivan is in the driveway.
Besides, my Mercedes Benz driving boss doesn't even own his housing, he rents a small apartment, but he's got his mercedes.

So it doesn't matter.

Invite him to see the puppies, maybe you can soak him for $500 per.
If not take them to work so no one has to see you live in a hovel.

Good luck.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:23 PM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
500k mansion and Tesla does not mean class. So do the dishes. He wants a puppy. You want to sell a puppy. Sounds like a potential business arrangement not a social event.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:23 PM

7,452 posts, read 4,681,624 times
Let me tell you a secret. No matter what the house, if someone is coming over, the host cleans the house.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:26 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
You have an opportunity to make a personal connection with someone in your company with whom you typically wouldn't. Don't be ridiculous, invite him over to see the pups.
^^^ This ^^^

Old 07-06-2018, 07:45 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
It doesn't matter how much money either one of you makes. A $500K house doesn't mean you are set for life and neither does driving a Tesla. He's not coming over to show off. People are just people. Don't stress about it. The money doesn't matter.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:50 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
Could you meet him at a dog park or something like that, a place you're more comfortable?

Old 07-06-2018, 09:13 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
What's funny is I would be far less likely to judge anyone's actual home, the neighborhood they live, or any of the big money related things compared to how I would judge the way they actually live. What I mean is if you have a trailer and it's sparkling clean, for all I know, you just really like the trailer and the cheaper cost of living, you may be saving for a big house and this is you being frugal. I don't know you or your finances. But what I do know is if I come into someone's home and the shower has a bunch of hair all over it, clogging the drain, your toilet has year-old pee and poop stains all over it, your mirror looks like it has never been washed, you have empty boxes and garbage strewn about the living room, and your place is falling apart with cheap, simple things like paint or broken doorknobs, I'm going to be way more judgmental that you are just a slob of a person.

Even the poorest person can do their best to keep the place they live nice, which should mean a basic standard of hygiene and cleanliness, and if your doorknob is falling apart surely you can afford a new $20 doorknob at Home Depot or even just a few screws to fix it or whatever. I do judge those people, I think they're slobs, I think they live in a disgusting way that I can't imagine a human being tolerating. They live like animals. But if you have a tiny little apartment and you keep it tidy, clean, and smelling nice, I'm never going to judge you for not living in a mansion or whatever. Who cares about that? Not everyone can be wealthy enough to afford that kinda stuff.

Also, I don't know where you live, but a $500K house is not a big deal. Our house is more than that and it's just a neighborhood of middle class families right off a busy road, nothing overly special about it, my lot size is an absolutely pathetic 3441 feet, not even close to a tenth of an acre. I personally have almost no mortgage, but for all we know, your CFO has a $500K house with a large mortgage he struggles to pay and that Tesla is leased or he's paying to finance the purchase, I mean I don't think he's in that crazy of a position to be so judgmental and if he is that judgmental it probably means he has other insecurities, like he worries he's not that great after all and hides his insecurities behind his feeling of superiority for the things he owns. I don't think you should worry about it.

At the very worst, the thought might cross his mind after leaving how fortunate he is to have the things he does and how thankful he should be to have them, which may sound condescending but he wouldn't be thinking it that way, he would just be thinking he should reevaluate his small problems and be grateful in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics